Leslie1899

Removing a focus group

I have a group of people in my database I'd like to move into a separate dataset. As of now they do not appear directly related, but I'd like to have the option of adding them back IF needed in the future.

I made a focus group out of them, but can't figure out how to get them OUT of my main project database. I tried using the Dataset Manager with no success. There are only 132 individuals in this focus group, but I'd really like to remove them for the present.

Leslie

The first step is to create a second Data Set in Data Set Manager.

Then, use the Move Person(s) command (Edit menu) to move everyone in the Focus Group to the new data set.

Now, where do you really want them to end up? In a separate data set in your existing project, or in a completely separate project? If you aren't clear on the difference, my Projects and Data Sets article may help.

If want to keep them in a separate data set in you exisiting project, you are done. If you want them in a separate Project, use File > Copy Project to make a copy of the project. Then, use Data Set Manager in each Project to remove 1) the added data set from your original project, and 2) the original data set from the copy project.

I have a group of people in my database I'd like to move into a separate dataset. As of now they do not appear directly related, but I'd like to have the option of adding them back IF needed in the future.

I made a focus group out of them, but can't figure out how to get them OUT of my main project database. I tried using the Dataset Manager with no success. There are only 132 individuals in this focus group, but I'd really like to remove them for the present.

Leslie

Dear Leslie:

I implore you not to split your database. Please reconsider! And please forgive this comment since it is completely none of my business. I speak of the many pitfalls with the voice of sad experiences, since I once had 2 datasets.

I didn’t split my datasets, but started with 2 separate datasets over 20 years ago due to my old genealogy program limit of about 32,000 people per dataset. Though I had only collected manual data on about 1500 people when I computerized, I could see that the European portion dataset would one day spproach that limit. As I neared the dataset size limits, I switched to TMG about 10 years ago. Had I not been so clever to plan around my old program limits and use 2 datasets, I might have been lucky and discovered TMG several years sooner. (I can’t imagine how I got along without VCF for all those years)

You may see some tales of multi-dataset woe in the forum archives.

Splitting the database using Terry’s posted procedure will be easy and effective. The rub will occur when you try to maintain 2 sets of data or want to generate a report or chart that crosses datasets.

Should you ever wish to recombine the 2 datasets, the real nightmare will begin. You will have to make many manual patches and links after the recombination. Even over 6 years after combining my data into one dataset, I still occasionally discover another manual patch that I overlooked making.

I can’t see a single advantage to ever splitting a TMG dataset into two or more pieces. There are many, many disadvantages of doing so.

Separate projects and datasets are very valuable for keeping data that you receive from others while you review and check their data for things that you might need. Another valuable use would be working on some super-secret project that you plan to copyright one day and don't wish to give away by accident.

Please reconsider your plans based on this lesson from the school of hard-knocks.

If you do decide to split, make a fresh backup of your unmodified data and copy to an external media before you begin.

Best wishes, whatever you decide,

Mike Talbot

I appreciate both responses. I seriously doubt that I'd ever want to add this particular group of people back into my primary dataset. None of the members of this group are in any way connected to anyone else in the original dataset. I understand the advisability of using separate datasets to review received gedcoms although I never request or accept them.

When I started working on an extremely difficult family line, I added this ;group of 132 individuals on the off chance they could be related. But subsequent research has determined that they are not directly related. Of course if one goes back to the 1300s or so, they are. However due to political upheavals in this part of England, records were lost. Later in the 1500s-1600s, the King of England's lineage experts could not resolve the problems of tracing the baronial line of this family prior to the 1500s. Obviously tracing the non-baronial lines would be even more impossible. Hence my desire to remove them from my dataset.

I could simply delete them all and don't think I haven't considered this. But, being cautious by nature, I decided to simply move them into a separate dataset, save it to a standalone hard drive and not think about them again!

Thanks again for the help. I reviewed Terry's chapter and am considering following his recommendations (although, frankly, it seems as if there ought to be a simpler method - - one would think that placing them into a focus group and exporting that group into a separate dataset should suffice).

Leslie

I had an occasion recently where I'd entered a whole group of people to the wrong project!! In the correct project, I created a new dataset then in the wrong project, I created a focus group of the newly added people. I then copied the focus group to the new dataset and merged that dataset into my usual dataset. Once I was sure everyone was in the proper place :rolleyes: , I then deleted the focus group from the incorrect project. This sounds much more complicated than it really was and was a good lesson in a)being more careful in noting which project I am in; and, b)creating a new dataset and importing people into it.

As a side note, my current dataset is one that was created by combining 4 different family files from another program (a similar situation to one previously mentioned). Aside from the duplications which needed merging (I have a number of intertwined lines ;) ) I found the process of merging those datasets in TMG a relatively simple process.

I'm with you in being cautious - you just never know! I think your solution makes perfect sense.

B)

Joan

I appreciate both responses. I seriously doubt that I'd ever want to add this particular group of people back into my primary dataset. None of the members of this group are in any way connected to anyone else in the original dataset. I understand the advisability of using separate datasets to review received gedcoms although I never request or accept them.

When I started working on an extremely difficult family line, I added this ;group of 132 individuals on the off chance they could be related. But subsequent research has determined that they are not directly related. Of course if one goes back to the 1300s or so, they are. However due to political upheavals in this part of England, records were lost. Later in the 1500s-1600s, the King of England's lineage experts could not resolve the problems of tracing the baronial line of this family prior to the 1500s. Obviously tracing the non-baronial lines would be even more impossible. Hence my desire to remove them from my dataset.

I could simply delete them all and don't think I haven't considered this. But, being cautious by nature, I decided to simply move them into a separate dataset, save it to a standalone hard drive and not think about them again!

Thanks again for the help. I reviewed Terry's chapter and am considering following his recommendations (although, frankly, it seems as if there ought to be a simpler method - - one would think that placing them into a focus group and exporting that group into a separate dataset should suffice).

Leslie

You're welcome.

You can. That's exactly what happens if you use the Move Person(s) command I described. They get moved (exported if you will) to a separate data set. But data sets are still in the same project, which I suspect isn't what you really want. I'd think if you just want to save them "just in case" but generally be rid of them, you want them moved to a separate Project.

You can easily copy the people in a Focus Group to a new Project - use the Secondary Output of the List of People report. But that still leaves them also in the original project. You can fix that by Moving them to a second data set in that project, then simply deleting that data set. That may be a simpler method than the one I originally described to you.

Thank you for this old posting; it has saved me from tearing my hair out, repeating the question "How do I remove a chunk on non-relatives from a Project" and even having to reach for the Reigel manual on my shelf.

John

The first step is to create a second Data Set in Data Set Manager.
Then, use the Move Person(s) command (Edit menu) to move everyone in the Focus Group to the new data set.

Now, where do you really want them to end up? In a separate data set in your existing project, or in a completely separate project? If you aren't clear on the difference, my Projects and Data Sets article may help.

If want to keep them in a separate data set in you exisiting project, you are done. If you want them in a separate Project, use File > Copy Project to make a copy of the project. Then, use Data Set Manager in each Project to remove 1) the added data set from your original project, and 2) the original data set from the copy project.