DougG

Suppressing a relationship

I have a father-son relationship that has been doubtful in my mind for a long time. So I finally went to make a change and found that this relationship was already "disabled" (I assume that I did it a while back). When I run any sort of report from the person's father or higher, the son does not show up on the report as a descendant.

The puzzling thing was that the relationship was still there in the tag list (i.e., Father-Bio, etc.), but it would not show up on reports. It took me quite a while to figure it out, but it turned out that there was a source citation on the relationship tag, and the certainty level under "1" was set to "-" instead of to the usual 0-3 range. Changing this to a digit makes the relationship show up on reports, setting it to "-" suppresses it.

The question I have, since I don't remember setting it this way, is if there is some other way that this gets set. I couldn't find anything obvious on the main menus or right-click menus. Did I just read about it somewhere and manually set it, or is this a common feature that everyone knows about?

Edited by DougG

Doug,

Many reports support filtering data via the Surety settings. It sounds like the reports you use have that option set. Open the report options window for one such report and review the Surety settings. They are on the "General" tab of the Report Options window. Adjust the settings if they aren't what you want.

I have a father-son relationship that has been doubtful in my mind for a long time. So I finally went to make a change and found that this relationship was already "disabled" (I assume that I did it a while back). When I run any sort of report from the person's father or higher, the son does not show up on the report as a descendant.

Didn't really "disable" it as far as the program itself goes. You just set the report to not output it by use of surety settings in the report definitions.

Note that the relationship is still shows in the various screens in TMG, and it will show in any report that doesn't exclude negitive surety. If you actually want to "disable" it, go to the child's person view and make the father tag non-primary.