joanmc

Setting Up 'To Do' Tags

After reading Teresa's article on setting up 'To Do' tags instead of the Task List (found at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~r...metery/TMG.html

), I've got a few questions for clarification. One she has already answered and that was that once the different roles are set up, she uses them for whatever tag is appropriate. IOW, if it's a Will that needs finding, she would use the Research Will role in that tag for that person.

My next question is to do with setting up the Place Style. Her first entry (L1) is labelled 'County Name'. Is this because the film is likely to be organized by county? My reason for checking is because L6 is also labelled County so I'm wanting to be sure I understand that L1 is essentially the 'focus' of the microfilm. If I'm bringing in a film of parish records covering several parishes in Essex County in England and I plan to concentrate on Rochford Parish, I assume L1 would read Rochford......

Next question - is there a reason for L8 being Phone or do you simply not use that one and leave it as it is?

Now I'm off to see if I can figure out how to set up a second language called 'Task' :blink:

B)

Joan

First let me catch up those who may not understand why I use TO DO LIST ROLEs.

I like all my tasks to be attached to TAGS. But I don't want it to appear that James Jones had a will between 1885 and 1900 when he didn't. So I created a new ROLE called TO DO LIST in the will tag. (Each tag type has this role). Now based on when I have found James alive, and when the available will records are, I can set up a research task and create the tag role called TO DO LIST. I have ROLES show on the Person View, so James Jones has a Will tag, with a TO DO LIST role an I can attach my task, but I can tell the difference between a real will and a will task from the role.

Now repositories CAN NOT USE PLACE STYLES. They print in L1, L2, L3, L4... order. So my place styles have to be in that order. I like to keep my places levels close to what TMG uses, but for repositories, I had to put the labels in order as they would print. My place style for MICROFILM is: <[Name of County], ><[book Type], ><[Roll Number], ><[Archives], ><[City], ><[County], ><[state] ><[FHL Film Number]>

The name of the county goes in L1. So in your example, L1 would be Essex County, or Rochford Parish. The County in L6 is for the Archive. I use the Tennessee State Library and Archives, so L6 would be for the Archives, which is Davidson County. I changed L8 to the FHL film number because I sometimes use the films from there instead of the state archives and found I needed that more than I did the phone number of the archives.

So lets say the film is the Williamson County, Tennessee Deed Books E-F for Dec 1816-May 1821 which if you go to the Tennessee State Library and Archives is Roll 139.

This would print: Williamson County, TN Deed Books E-F Dec 1816-May 1821, Tennessee State Library and Archives, Nashville, Davidson County, TN.

Since creating the page you quoted, I have changed my output. At that time I didn't realize that I had to have repositories (I use the same place data for the repository of the task) in L1, L2, L3... order.

I now use:

[:CR:][:CR:][bOLD:]WILL-Research to be done[:BOLD][:CR:][D][:CR:][L1][:CR:][L2][:CR:][L3][:CR:][L4][:CR:][L5], [L7]

That prints:

WILL-Research to be done

Dec 1816-May 1821

Roll 139

Williamson County

Deed Books E-F Dec 1816-May 1821

Tennessee State Library and Archives

Nashville

TN

I created a new language simply so that I can control printing. I call it Tabular. In ENGLISH, the sentence for all TO DO LIST TAGS is simply --. That way no matter what when I print a report, my research tags will not print as part of my narrative. Only when I change to TABULAR will the tags print.

Now to the repository. I do not treat the building as my repository for a TASK. I treat the will book, deed book, roll of microfilm, or probate file as my repository. When I order a roll of film via ILL or from the FHL, I create a new repository for that roll of film. I then search my ancestors for anyone that MIGHT be found on that film and set up tags with TO DO LIST roles and research tasks using that film as the repository for the task. Once I find the document, I change the role, and use that same repository for my source record.

So in our example, when I find a deed for James Jones's dated 14 April 1820, I create a new source record: James Jones deed, Page 134, Deed Book F, Williamson County, TN Deed Books E-F Dec 1816-May 1821, Roll 139, Tennessee State Library and Archives, Nashville, TN.

So I now have a link between that ROLL of FILM, and the task, the source and the tag. That to me just makes more sense that any other method I tried.

Joan,

You may have noticed I changed a few things from the original article. Just as long as you use the right levels in your sentences, you can still use that page. I have modified what I did over time to get it to work easier, and faster for me and to work easier with TMG. But the idea is still very similar. Not many people use this method, but those that do, tell me that once they set it up, they love the way it works. It works so well for me, the last time I went to the archives, I found way too much stuff to copy while I was there and had to limit myself to one ancestor at a time. The great thing is I have good records of what I got done, so I can pick up where I left off, even it it's years before I get back.

Edited by GenerationGoneBy

I'm glad I posted this - I like the concept of using the repository much better. Of course, now you'll have to update the website I suppose :wacko: Sorry about that.....

Thanks so much Teresa.

B)

Joan

First let me catch up those who may not understand why I use TO DO LIST ROLEs.

I like all my tasks to be attached to TAGS. But I don't want it to appear that James Jones had a will between 1885 and 1900 when he didn't. So I created a new ROLE called TO DO LIST in the will tag. (Each tag type has this role). Now based on when I have found James alive, and when the available will records are, I can set up a research task and create the tag role called TO DO LIST. I have ROLES show on the Person View, so James Jones has a Will tag, with a TO DO LIST role an I can attach my task, but I can tell the difference between a real will and a will task from the role.

Now repositories CAN NOT USE PLACE STYLES. They print in L1, L2, L3, L4... order. So my place styles have to be in that order. I like to keep my places levels close to what TMG uses, but for repositories, I had to put the labels in order as they would print. My place style for MICROFILM is: <[Name of County], ><[book Type], ><[Roll Number], ><[Archives], ><[City], ><[County], ><[state] ><[FHL Film Number]>

The name of the county goes in L1. So in your example, L1 would be Essex County, or Rochford Parish. The County in L6 is for the Archive. I use the Tennessee State Library and Archives, so L6 would be for the Archives, which is Davidson County. I changed L8 to the FHL film number because I sometimes use the films from there instead of the state archives and found I needed that more than I did the phone number of the archives.

So lets say the film is the Williamson County, Tennessee Deed Books E-F for Dec 1816-May 1821 which if you go to the Tennessee State Library and Archives is Roll 139.

This would print: Williamson County, TN Deed Books E-F Dec 1816-May 1821, Tennessee State Library and Archives, Nashville, Davidson County, TN.

Since creating the page you quoted, I have changed my output. At that time I didn't realize that I had to have repositories (I use the same place data for the repository of the task) in L1, L2, L3... order.

I now use:

[:CR:][:CR:][bOLD:]WILL-Research to be done[:BOLD][:CR:][D][:CR:][L1][:CR:][L2][:CR:][L3][:CR:][L4][:CR:][L5], [L7]

That prints:

WILL-Research to be done

Dec 1816-May 1821

Roll 139

Williamson County

Deed Books E-F Dec 1816-May 1821

Tennessee State Library and Archives

Nashville

TN

I created a new language simply so that I can control printing. I call it Tabular. In ENGLISH, the sentence for all TO DO LIST TAGS is simply --. That way no matter what when I print a report, my research tags will not print as part of my narrative. Only when I change to TABULAR will the tags print.

Now to the repository. I do not treat the building as my repository for a TASK. I treat the will book, deed book, roll of microfilm, or probate file as my repository. When I order a roll of film via ILL or from the FHL, I create a new repository for that roll of film. I then search my ancestors for anyone that MIGHT be found on that film and set up tags with TO DO LIST roles and research tasks using that film as the repository for the task. Once I find the document, I change the role, and use that same repository for my source record.

So in our example, when I find a deed for James Jones's dated 14 April 1820, I create a new source record: James Jones deed, Page 134, Deed Book F, Williamson County, TN Deed Books E-F Dec 1816-May 1821, Roll 139, Tennessee State Library and Archives, Nashville, TN.

So I now have a link between that ROLL of FILM, and the task, the source and the tag. That to me just makes more sense that any other method I tried.

Joan,

Another thing is I can't say how close my method of using the repository is going to meet the new Mills models. I have the book, but haven't had time to read all of it. Other than punctuation, I probably won't change how I print the sources if they aren't exactly the same, but you might want to check how you set them up if you want to match her examples exactly.

I'm wondering if TMG v7 will change to the new styles........could create some interesting challenges for us :wacko:

At this point, I'm mostly concerned with the creation of the 'To Do' list and 'Copied'. Setting up for ancestry.com for example will be more likely to need the new style but fortunately I do have Elizabeth's 'Tips' sheet which should help with that. I haven't got the book yet but have seen it - no wonder the shipping is out of this world! I was able to purchase it from a local supplier so didn't get dinged with shipping to the 'wilds' of Western Canada :D

Do you create the language before the Place Style & Roles or does it matter? I haven't ventured into language creation before........

B)

Joan

Joan,

Another thing is I can't say how close my method of using the repository is going to meet the new Mills models. I have the book, but haven't had time to read all of it. Other than punctuation, I probably won't change how I print the sources if they aren't exactly the same, but you might want to check how you set them up if you want to match her examples exactly.

You can create it at any time, but your sentences will need to be created in the NEW LANGUAGE, so you probably need to do it first. You don't need to know anything about the language feature, since you will just be creating sentences. Just copy the language you are using, name it what you want, and then make sure your sentences are in that new language. When you want reports, make sure you use the new language.

Thanks Teresa, that's what I had thought but because I hadn't used an alternate language wasn't sure if I should just copy English and name it 'Tasks' or if I actually had to create a new one :unsure: Great, now I can get on with setting this all up, hopefully before our TMG Users' session on Friday night<g>

Thanks again, it's so helpful to be able clarify with you before passing on the info to the Group.

B)

Joan

You can create it at any time, but your sentences will need to be created in the NEW LANGUAGE, so you probably need to do it first. You don't need to know anything about the language feature, since you will just be creating sentences. Just copy the language you are using, name it what you want, and then make sure your sentences are in that new language. When you want reports, make sure you use the new language.