cordovilcardoso

Children from several marriages, or diferent mothers

Good Afternoon

I've searched all the topics related with reports but I couldn't find the answer to my situation.

I've been using TMG from V4 and I've now a family database with 4,000 plus individuals. I'm planning to edit a Family Book in 2008 and I'm trying to get the most from reports in order to do the minimum possible corrections to the output.

I've cretaed a new language, Portuguese, and translated all the tags I've used and quite a lot more of the terms in the language database. Now I've a "almost" Portuguese version of TMG V6.12

I'm sure that I'm not the only one with this problem so, probably, you've allready solved it. Here it is:

"A" married twice. The first time with "B" and the second time with "C". He had children from both marriages. I've created the correponding marriage tags and asociated every child with his/her parents.

When creating a Descendency Narrative the text is someting like:

"A" married "B" , Date, Place. He married "C", Date , Place.

Then a list of children, without any separation or indication about who is the mother ("B" or "C").

The same thing happens if one has childrem inside and outside the marriage. In this second situation the result is even worse: All the children are assumed, in the report, as childrem of the married couple.

My question is:

Is there a way to produce a report (descendancy narrative) where those two situations are clearly stated, i.e.,

"A" married "B", Date, Place. He married "C", Date , Place.

Children of "A" and "B"

List of child

Children of "A" and "C"

List of children

Or

"A" married "B", Date, Place. Children of "A" and "B"

List of child

He had from "C"

List of children

Edited by cordovilcardoso

You may wish to try a Journal report (set to Descendants) instead of a Desendancy Narrative report. A Journal report does much of what you want automatically. Try it.

Also, you may wish to modify the marriage sentences for the second marriage. I've modified mine to read: "After Mary died, [P] married..." Remember to do separate sentences for Bride and Groom.

John

You may wish to try a Journal report (set to Descendants) instead of a Desendancy Narrative report. A Journal report does much of what you want automatically. Try it.

Also, you may wish to modify the marriage sentences for the second marriage. I've modified mine to read: "After Mary died, [P] married..." Remember to do separate sentences for Bride and Groom.

John

Thank you for your sugestions. Actually I've already tried the Journal Report and, as you've said, it solves some of the problems I have.

But there is a great drawback: I loose the numbering system and the layout of this report is quite different from what we traditionally use in Portugal.

In Portugal most of the genealogy books are much more similar to the output of the Descendancy Narrative.

Do you have, or does anibody have, other sugestions?

Thank you for your sugestions. Actually I've already tried the Journal Report and, as you've said, it solves some of the problems I have.

But there is a great drawback: I loose the numbering system and the layout of this report is quite different from what we traditionally use in Portugal.

In Portugal most of the genealogy books are much more similar to the output of the Descendancy Narrative.

Hi

Have you tried embedding the <[PAR]> variable in the sentence structure of your birth tag (or alternatively, in a role in the birth tag that you could use when you want to). In its simplest form, something like:

[P] <[PAR]> was born <[D]> <[L]>

That will give you a starting sentence of something like "Person A, son of Person B and Person C, was born..."

If you embed the <[PAR]> variable in the actual birth tag it will give you that sentence syntax for every person in your database who has a birth tag. For my purposes, I actually use a role in the birth tag so I can easily control whether the names of the parents show up in the sentence. I have a similar role in my death tag that I use when the occasion warrants it.

One downside of this approach is that you only get a birth sentence for people for whom you have created a birth tag. For me, that is no issue, because I create a birth tag whenever I add a new person to my database, because I like to use the sort date field in the birth tag to help out with making sure my people appear in the right order in reports.

I know this isn't exactly the solution you are looking for, but I thought it might perhaps be an acceptable work-around for your problem.

Mike Daugherty

Frederick, Maryland

When creating a Descendency Narrative the text is someting like:

"A" married "B" , Date, Place. He married "C", Date , Place.

Then a list of children, without any separation or indication about who is the mother ("B" or "C").

The same thing happens if one has childrem inside and outside the marriage. In this second situation the result is even worse: All the children are assumed, in the report, as childrem of the married couple.

My question is:

Is there a way to produce a report (descendancy narrative) where those two situations are clearly stated, i.e.,

"A" married "B", Date, Place. He married "C", Date , Place.

Children of "A" and "B"

List of child

Children of "A" and "C"

List of children

Or

"A" married "B", Date, Place. Children of "A" and "B"

List of child

He had from "C"

List of children

Yes, it is a problem in any language. I would like to have a similar report to the type that you want. I hope that you can output your reports to a word processor. In either of the following possibilities, you will still need to do some hand editing in a word processor.

The Descendant Indented Chart will give you almost what you want. It is really just a report with a few graphic characters to improve clarity.

Concatenating Family Group Sheets is also a possibility. You will have to hand delete and patch the redundant output of data on person A for each marriage.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Mike Talbot

I would suggest that you pose your question in the Sentence Structure Forum at the bottom of the 'Other' Forums as this is the type of thing that I'm sure someone else has run into and has come up with sentences, roles, tags or whatever is necessary. I do know that Terry has come up with a simple format for multiple marriages that works well but I haven't had to use it for couples with children so I don't know how it works with them. See http://tmg.reigelridge.com/Roles-Marriage.htm

You might also join in one of the Chat sessions tomorrow and ask the question there.......

B)

Joan

Yes, it is a problem in any language. I would like to have a similar report to the type that you want. I hope that you can output your reports to a word processor. In either of the following possibilities, you will still need to do some hand editing in a word processor.

The Descendant Indented Chart will give you almost what you want. It is really just a report with a few graphic characters to improve clarity.

Concatenating Family Group Sheets is also a possibility. You will have to hand delete and patch the redundant output of data on person A for each marriage.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Mike Talbot

Thank you for your help.

Yes, I'm outputing to Word so the solution I've been using is, as you say, lots of cut and paste.

Your sugestion to use the Des. Ind. Chart will help me to know exactly who to cut and where to paste. But I'm preparing a book with 200 years family history and was hoping to find a easier way to do it. I'm a bit lazy...

Regards

I would suggest that you pose your question in the Sentence Structure Forum at the bottom of the 'Other' Forums as this is the type of thing that I'm sure someone else has run into and has come up with sentences, roles, tags or whatever is necessary. I do know that Terry has come up with a simple format for multiple marriages that works well but I haven't had to use it for couples with children so I don't know how it works with them. See http://tmg.reigelridge.com/Roles-Marriage.htm

You might also join in one of the Chat sessions tomorrow and ask the question there.......

B)

Joan

Thank you for your answer. Maybe I'll try the Sentences Structures Forum later. I'd alreday been at Terry's site but I didn't try what she suggested. I'll read it better and try it.

Unfortunetly when I saw your message the Chat was over :-(

Regards

Hi

Have you tried embedding the <[PAR]> variable in the sentence structure of your birth tag (or alternatively, in a role in the birth tag that you could use when you want to). In its simplest form, something like:

[P] <[PAR]> was born <[D]> <[L]>

That will give you a starting sentence of something like "Person A, son of Person B and Person C, was born..."

If you embed the <[PAR]> variable in the actual birth tag it will give you that sentence syntax for every person in your database who has a birth tag. For my purposes, I actually use a role in the birth tag so I can easily control whether the names of the parents show up in the sentence. I have a similar role in my death tag that I use when the occasion warrants it.

One downside of this approach is that you only get a birth sentence for people for whom you have created a birth tag. For me, that is no issue, because I create a birth tag whenever I add a new person to my database, because I like to use the sort date field in the birth tag to help out with making sure my people appear in the right order in reports.

I know this isn't exactly the solution you are looking for, but I thought it might perhaps be an acceptable work-around for your problem.

Mike Daugherty

Frederick, Maryland

Hi Mike

I've not tried your approach but I didn´t understand how those sentences will appear in the Descendancy Narrative Report.

Have you used it with that report? Could you, please, post an example (just 3 ot 4 lines).

Regards

Hi Mike

I've not tried your approach but I didn´t understand how those sentences will appear in the Descendancy Narrative Report.

Have you used it with that report? Could you, please, post an example (just 3 ot 4 lines).

Regards

Hi

This is the output I get when I run the report after embedding the <[PAR]> variable in the sentence structure of the birth tag. For brevity, I limited the tags that were printed in the report to just Birth, Marriage and Death. I also only printed the report for 2 generations, and eliminated a few of the children from the report. This ancestor (Samuel Turner) had a total of 20 children by 3 different wives.

The original Birth tag sentence structure was: [P] was born <[D]> <[L]>

The modified sentence structure is: [P] <[PAR]> was born <[D]> <[L]>

The <[PAR]> in the above structure instructs TMG to include "son (or daughter) of", followed by the names of the parents, right after the name of the principal in the Birth tag.

That takes care of all people who have a Birth tag that actually contains data in it that is going to cause it to print. However, if you have Birth tags for some of your people that have nothing in them except a Sort Date, you will need to force those tags to print. I actually have very few empty Birth tags, because I usually know at least the U.S. state in which my person was born. But I have a few where that is not the case. Then I modify the Birth tag sentence structure (for that individual person) to make TMG print the tag in the report. After modification, the Birth tag sentence for the individual person reads something like:

[P] <[PAR]> was born <[D]> <[L]> <[M]>

Then, since my Memo field in the Birth tag was also empty, I include the exclusion code <[M0]> in it. There doesn't have to be any actual text. The code itself is enough to trigger the inclusion of the Memo field, and then to tell TMG not to include it.

I ran a quick test to see what would happen if I did the things that I outlined above. The following text is the result. I hope this helps.

Mike Daugherty

Frederick, Maryland

I. Samuel Turner (223), son of William Turner Sr. (13) and Rhoda Dent (14), was born on 18 Sep 1784 in Charles Co., Maryland. He married Elizabeth Ann Dent (224), daughter of Hatch Dent (254) and Susahanna Edwards (255), either 25 Sep 1806 or 25 Jan 1806. He married Mary Tucker (273), daughter of Robey Tucker (274), on 2 Feb 1826. He married Clarissa Nichols (285), daughter of John Nichols (286) and Jean Stinson (287), on 21 Aug 1835. He died on 16 Jul 1857 in Iredell Co., North Carolina, at age 72.

A. William Hatch Dent Turner (256), son of Samuel Turner (223) and Elizabeth Ann Dent (224), was born on 27 Jun 1807 in Charles Co., Maryland. He married Elizabeth Campbell (257), daughter of Aeneas Campbell (321) and Lizann Belt (322). He died on 10 Oct 1842 in Iredell Co., North Carolina, at age 35.

B. Wilford Dent Turner Sr. (258), son of Samuel Turner (223) and Elizabeth Ann Dent (224), was born on 15 Feb 1809 in Charles Co., Maryland. He married Dorcas Tomlinson (259). He died on 27 Jan 1893 in Turnersburg, North Carolina, at age 83.

C. Rhoda Susan Turner (260), daughter of Samuel Turner (223) and Elizabeth Ann Dent (224), was born on 9 Feb 1811. She married her first cousin, William Turner (262), son of Wilson Turner I (211) and (--?--) (--?--) (2366), on 1 Feb 1827. She died on 24 Feb 1896 at age 85. She died on 24 Mar 1896 at age 85.

D. John Chapman Turner (261), son of Samuel Turner (223) and Elizabeth Ann Dent (224), was born on 7 Mar 1813 in Iredell Co., North Carolina. He died on 6 Jul 1897 in Fayette Co., Tennessee, at age 84.

E. Kitty Elizabeth Turner (263), daughter of Samuel Turner (223) and Elizabeth Ann Dent (224), was born on 10 Aug 1815. She died on 11 Jun 1825 at age 9. She died on 11 Jun 1826 at age 10.

F. Henry Turner (264), son of Samuel Turner (223) and Elizabeth Ann Dent (224), was born on 5 Sep 1817. He married Margaret McKnight Webb (265) on 26 Nov 1840. He married Mary Ann Maston (266) on 14 Nov 1865. He died on 17 May 1883 in Cool Spring, North Carolina, at age 65.

G. Emily Turner (269), daughter of Samuel Turner (223) and Elizabeth Ann Dent (224), was born on 19 Oct 1822. She married Belt Campbell (270) on 27 Sep 1836. She died on 23 Dec 1906 at age 84.

H. Catherine Turner (275), daughter of Samuel Turner (223) and Mary Tucker (273), was born on 25 Dec 1826. She married M. M. Leach (276). She died in Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas.

I. Benjamin Turner (279), son of Samuel Turner (223) and Mary Tucker (273), was born on 21 Jun 1831. He married Mary Jane Pickler (280). He married Elizabeth Smith (281).

J. Mary Elizabeth Turner (282), daughter of Samuel Turner (223) and Mary Tucker (273), was born on 11 May 1833. She married (--?--) Anderson (283). She died in Apr 1921 at age 87.

K. James Martin Turner (290), son of Samuel Turner (223) and Clarissa Nichols (285), was born on 29 Jun 1836 in River Hill, North Carolina. He married Emaline Julianna Gaither (291), daughter of Greenberry Gaither (330) and Joanna Gray (331), on 14 Jan 1858. He died on 17 Mar 1885 in River Hill, North Carolina, at age 48.

L. Alfred Turner (292), son of Samuel Turner (223) and Clarissa Nichols (285), was born on 6 Nov 1838. He married Sarah Ann Gaither (293) in Mar 1867. He died on 27 Jan 1910 at age 71.

M. Dorcas Elvira Turner (295), daughter of Samuel Turner (223) and Clarissa Nichols (285), was born on 4 May 1843. She married Dr. John Ellis (296). She died in 1916.

N. Samuel Turner (297), son of Samuel Turner (223) and Clarissa Nichols (285), was born on 31 Dec 1846. He died on 22 Jul 1865 in North Carolina at age 18.