Bob Greiner

baptism names

I use a Name-Baptm tag to record the name of a person at baptism, when that is different than their primary name. For example, those baptized in a German speaking church will frequently have a German baptism name different than the name they came to use in the United States. I would like to use that name to modify the sentence structure of the Baptism tag, rather than have it printed in a separate sentence, which is placed in a second paragraph in the journal format.

I find that I can locally modify individual tags to include the alternate name in the baptism sentence, and use exclusion markers to delete the sentence from the Name-Baptm tag. But is there a way to do that globally for the tags, in such a way that the additional sentence information is only included if there is a Name-Baptm tag?

For example, I would like the baptism sentence to read:

He was baptized as Johannes Boettner on 1 Jul 1815 in Reichensachsen, Germany.

The sentence structure was modified to look like below, and the alternate name chosen for the baptism tag.

[P] was baptized as [P+] <[D]> <[L]>.< [WO] sponsored the baptism.>

But how can I make the additional text optional? Is there any way to include the text based on the presence of the Name-Baptm variant name tag? I don't want to have the sentence read

He was baptized as Bob Greiner ... when that is already the primary name.

There is no way to have the program automatically use the "as..." phrase depending on whether or not the name used by the tag is primary or another name.

But, you can arrange to do it pretty easily under manual control. Open the Baptism Tag Type, and add a custom Role, say "BName" (you can probably think of something better). Leave the existing sentence in the Principal Role, and use your new sentence for the custom Role.

Then, in each tag in which you select the baptism name option to use other than the primary name, also select the "BName" Role for the child.

If you've not worked with Roles before, my Roles Tutorial may be helpful.

Thanks! That seems to work well. I also had to eliminate the sentence from the NAM-BAPTM tag so that the additional sentence does not print.

You're welcome. :)

Eliminating the sentence from the Nam-Baptm tag works fine. You could just as easily excluded that tag from the report.