Guest ProudFossil

Login Name

Guest ProudFossil

How can one change their login name, the name displayed when they are active on the forums?

Thank you

Mike

I think that Bob would need to delete your account and then you could create a new logon. Can't see any other way. Want me to ask him to do that?

Guest ProudFossil
I think that Bob would need to delete your account and then you could create a new logon. Can't see any other way. Want me to ask him to do that?

Thanks for the reply, Jim. I would like to change it from the ProudFossil to my name (Michael Dietz) if possible.

Mike

I believe there is a way for Bob to change it without deleting the account - he did for me several years ago. Unless the new forum software since then somehow prohibits it.

Thanks for the reply, Jim. I would like to change it from the ProudFossil to my name (Michael Dietz) if possible.

Mike

But ProudFossil is so evocative . . . like

formerprof

Guest Michael Dietz
Mike,

I see you are logged on using ProudFossil. Thought Bob changed it to 'Michael Dietz' a few hours ago.

Jim

Because I have not logged off. Will do so now. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Mike

Guest Michael Dietz
But ProudFossil is so evocative . . . like

formerprof

There is actually quite a history to the pseudoname. Back in my youth, about ten years ago, many web sites which acted as forums, especially the news forums, suggested using a pseudoname. In fact some actually required it. So I started with one that reflected my self image and also the fact that I have been working with paleontologists for the last 40 years. I am still proud of who I am and my country, still volunteering with the paleontologists and museums, but want to be more forward and so hidden.

Mike

Guest Michael Dietz
Mike,

I see you are logged on using ProudFossil. Thought Bob changed it to 'Michael Dietz' a few hours ago.

Jim

Jim I just scrolled up to log out and noticed that I am now signed on as Michael Dietz. Please pass my thanks to Bob. I will do it in person in just over six weeks in Fort Lauderdale.

Mike

There is actually quite a history to the pseudoname. Back in my youth, about ten years ago, many web sites which acted as forums, especially the news forums, suggested using a pseudoname. In fact some actually required it. . . .

Dear Michael,

I remember it well -- a "handle" was considered desirable as an anti-spam measure. It doesn't seem to have helped much! So when I retired I became "formerprof" at the bulletin boards I frequented. I rather regret it now, as far as Wholly Genes is concerned, because this community seems to be wonderfully free of flames, epithets and the like.

I think I'll ask to come out of the closet after version 7 is out -- before then I don't want to be responsible for taking up a millisecond of Bob Velke's time. All good wishes.

formerprof

(Robert Jacobs, Ellensburg, WA)