efcharvet

Wish List - SIX Generation Tree View

Most desktop computers are now sold with 20", 22", and 24" monitors. - - I primarily use TMG on a computer with a 20" Dell Ultrasharp 2007FWP widescreen monitor with the display set at 1680 px x 1050 px. - - 24" and 30" wide screen monitors are usually native at 1920 px x 1200 px. (I don't have to mention that 17" widescreen notebook computers are very popular, as well. I own one.) - - This gives users a lot more "real estate" than they had in the past.

With these popular modern screens sizes, there isn't any reason the Tree View in TMG couldn't easily display a six generation tree.

Ideally, users would be able to go to Preferences to choose to display the standard five generation Tree View if they have a small monitor, or a six generation Tree View if they have a modern, larger monitor.

I, for one, would love to see TMG move ahead with the times and make this happen! B)

Earl

Most desktop computers are now sold with 20", 22", and 24" monitors. - - I primarily use TMG on a computer with a 20" Dell Ultrasharp 2007FWP widescreen monitor with the display set at 1680 px x 1050 px. - - 24" and 30" wide screen monitors are usually native at 1920 px x 1200 px. (I don't have to mention that 17" widescreen notebook computers are very popular, as well. I own one.) - - This gives users a lot more "real estate" than they had in the past.

With these popular modern screens sizes, there isn't any reason the Tree View in TMG couldn't easily display a six generation tree.

Ideally, users would be able to go to Preferences to choose to display the standard five generation Tree View if they have a small monitor, or a six generation Tree View if they have a modern, larger monitor.

I, for one, would love to see TMG move ahead with the times and make this happen! B)

Earl

Yes, and restore TMG4 b m d dates to Tree View.

Cheers,

Mike Talbot

Why would you assume that having a wide screen provides any more room for the tree view? I've never run TMG in full screen mode, and certainly don't on my 22" wide-screen monitor. I got the wide screen so I can see several apps at once, not so I can make the TMG window larger. I still work with the TMG screen as small as I can and still see what I need. A six-generation tree view simply wouldn't work.

Another point of view. :)

Hi Terry,

Crazy reply! (smile) I noticed you chose to edit out my sentence beginning with "Ideally, ..." (smile)

You wrote:

"I got the wide screen so I can see several apps at once (...) I still work with the TMG screen as small as I can and still see what I need. A six-generation tree view simply wouldn't work."

"Simply wouldn't work" sounds pretty dismissive to me! (smile) That's your preference! Some of us like TMG to fill a screen, particularly for the Detail View, to keep as much text visible as possible for each line without scrolling. We also click on the Windows Maximize and Minimize screen button to allow a full screen view or a multi-app view. (smile.)

A six generation Tree View would be a great OPTION; and a nice selling point that could make TMG stand out a bit more in the genealogical software market. - - However, I am aware there are a lot of people with highly portable little notebook computers with 12" screens who would not appreciate seeing more information, as well as users like you.

Perhaps you would prefer a three generation Tree View for your small TMG screen in your "several app" view! (smile!)

Best regards,

Earl

Edited by efcharvet

You wrote:

"Simply wouldn't work" sounds pretty dismissive to me! (smile)

Sorry, Earl, I meant that it wouldn't work in my small layout. But on re-reading I see that it seems to be saying it wouldn't work at all, which was not what I meant.

Yes, if there were an option to use either or smaller or larger number of generations that would work, and clearly those users who prefer to use a large TMG screen on large monitors could benefit from it.

Perhaps you would prefer a three generation Tree View for your small TMG screen in your "several app" view! (smile!)

No, four works with my current layout. But when we see the Associates window Bob V. described as a feature of version 7 I may need to make more room. :)

No, four works with my current layout. But when we see the Associates window Bob V. described as a feature of version 7 I may need to make more room. :) (Emphasis Teresa's, not Terri's)

May?!? :lol: Definitely. But I would love to see the option for a bigger tree view. Just not sure what it would take to program it to fit. It would need to be set up in preferences I think.

<snip>

Earl

Hmm, don't know where you live but in our area 'most' computers aren't sold with monitors at all! You then choose your preference. I notice that with the baby boomers now downsizing their living spaces, many are choosing either 17 or 19 inch monitors as the max they can fit in. Some, though choose large ones and they serve dual purpose as tv screens as well as computer monitors.

Personally, I'm with Terry except that I've chosen to use 2 monitors - 17 & 19 inch - to allow the max in apps at the same time while still being able to fit them on my work centre. :D

Meanwhile, as a preferences choice, it probably makes sense. I find the only time I ever even look at that view is when I'm teaching or demonstrating TMG as I have my various charts up on my wall for quick reference :rolleyes:

B)

Joan

Hmm, don't know where you live but in our area 'most' computers aren't sold with monitors at all! You then choose your preference. I notice that with the baby boomers now downsizing their living spaces, many are choosing either 17 or 19 inch monitors as the max they can fit in. B)

Hmm, I guess Dell Canada and HP Canada don't make many on-line sales in Sooke... and that most "baby boomers" aren't buying 40" to 80" HDTVs there either! :lol: You might be surprised what you would find in homes across the straits in Vancouver! It's a different world! :D

My best, Earl

Hmm, I guess Dell Canada and HP Canada don't make many on-line sales in Sooke... and that most "baby boomers" aren't buying 40" to 80" HDTVs there either! :lol: You might be surprised what you would find in homes across the straits in Vancouver! It's a different world! :D

My best, Earl

Again, I second your wish.

It's hard to understand the antagonism of some users against your suggestion. It isn't like you are advocating taking away their 5 or 4 gen. Tree Views. If it were Wholly Genes saying that it would cost more than they were willing to spend, now, then I could understand.

You can construct 6 generation VCF charts that fit nicely, clearly and with full (b m d) dates, images and places on a 19" monitor. So it's feasible. My 19" monitor is physically smaller than my old 15" CRT, so sacrifice of living area is not really an issue.

Keep the faith and with best wishes to all,

Mike Talbot

My best, Earl

<chuckle>Actually, in the Victoria area (at least among those of us in the Victoria PC Users' Group), there's not a huge number of Dells......many more HPs. Absolutely it's a different world across the Straits!!! :D I have family over there too & lived there myself for a few years.

For myself, I'm finding that I prefer the 2-monitor over the very large monitor and, like others I've heard, wonder how on earth I ever worked with a single monitor :huh: However, either would accommodate a larger pedigree view very nicely if one had the choice.

B)

Joan