daniel_james_gullo

Project Explorer - Selecting Primary Person

I am not an expert with TMG. I typically use it 2-3 times a year for a week or two at a time as I have a very busy schedule with work. I recently upgraded to 6.12. However, I seem to remember that you could double-click a person in Project Explorer (?) and it would change the primary person (select individual) in the Person View, Tree View, and Family View. Also, I don't remember the family groups being rolled-up in a tree structure in the Project Explorer; i.e. with nodes for individuals which when expanded show spouses and offspring. I have about 2500 people in my file and need a simple way to shoot to a person by name and have that become the primary person in the Person View; i.e. the person selected. I searched the forums on here and the FAQ but couldn't find the answer. Please help. Thanks.

Rightclick in the Project Explorer (PE) window and select 'Link Project Explorer to other Windows.'

In the dropdown list of Sort orders in the PE, there is an option for 'Surname Collapsed List.' You can change that to 'Surname' if you prefer.

You can also use the Picklist to navigate quickly to a person. Press F2 and start typing the name into the Search field in the format Last, First. Enter or double-click on the name to go to the person.

Virginia

When I change from Collapsed Surname to Surname, I still see the node boxes (i.e. the plus/minus signs).

However, it is the Simple Pick List that I was thinking of. I don't see where it is available from any of the menu items. That window is precisely what I need in terms of functionality. Problem is, how do I get that to stay visible? I.e. I want to create a view with the Person/Tree/Family window and the Simple Pick List. The way it works now, as you suggested with F2, when I select someone, it jumps to that person but the Pick List window closes.

When I change from Collapsed Surname to Surname, I still see the node boxes (i.e. the plus/minus signs).

However, it is the Simple Pick List that I was thinking of. I don't see where it is available from any of the menu items. That window is precisely what I need in terms of functionality. Problem is, how do I get that to stay visible? I.e. I want to create a view with the Person/Tree/Family window and the Simple Pick List. The way it works now, as you suggested with F2, when I select someone, it jumps to that person but the Pick List window closes.

Daniel, Click on the binoculars to get the picklist!

Jan

I am not an expert with TMG. I typically use it 2-3 times a year for a week or two at a time as I have a very busy schedule with work. I recently upgraded to 6.12. However, I seem to remember that you could double-click a person in Project Explorer (?) and it would change the primary person (select individual) in the Person View, Tree View, and Family View. Also, I don't remember the family groups being rolled-up in a tree structure in the Project Explorer; i.e. with nodes for individuals which when expanded show spouses and offspring. I have about 2500 people in my file and need a simple way to shoot to a person by name and have that become the primary person in the Person View; i.e. the person selected. I searched the forums on here and the FAQ but couldn't find the answer. Please help. Thanks.

Another quick way to access persons that you are needing frequently (e.g. if you are working on a particular line, pick a person who is the father of the group you're working on) is the Bookmark. I use it all the time. I've bookmarked all my Loyalist ancestors for when I'm working on that group plus all my North American progenitors. This allows a fairly quick access to the generations here. As I have well over 45,000 names in my project, I certainly prefer that to the picklist for many of my changes from one person to another :rolleyes:

Hope this helps a bit.

B)

Joan