Virginia Blakelock

Gender symbols in TMG reports and charts

Links to previous messages on this topic (in connection with Charts) are listed at the bottom.

This message suggests a way to to insert gender symbols into Reports, for example:

M_F.jpg

To insert gender symbols into a Descendant Indented Chart using a MSWord macro:

1 - For an existing project, use the Name Part option in the TMG Utility to globally insert unique characters preceded by an exclusion marker (say -# for female, -% for male) into the respective name Title fields in TMG.

2 - Print the Descendant Indented Chart to MSWord. Record a macro to Find and Replace the %# characters with male/female symbols. In the Replace field, enter the symbol's Shortcut Key from the bottom of the 'Insert Symbol' screen. In the Lucida Sans Unicode font, the male symbol is 2642 Alt-X, the female symbol 2640 Alt X (enter the number and press Alt-X to insert).

For a WordPerfect macro use Ctrl-W and the Iconic Symbols font in the Replace field.

Links to messages re gender symbols in Charts:

Starts at Post #10, proposed solutions at Posts #18 and #19; see also Posts #21, #22, #26 to #37:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=30277

How to create and use custom frames; Post #2 includes Robin's downloadable custom frames designed for gender identification:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=30360

Virginia

Thank you Virginia for including this item here!

However, this seems like a checkbox that should be on all the Report Options screens and in Preferences for the Project Explorer, Picklists and Person Details screen displays?

I would encourage you to submit a wishlist item to this effect.

It would save users having to do a lot of work when they wanted and then did not want those symbols to show.

Thank you Virginia for including this item here!

However, this seems like a checkbox that should be on all the Report Options screens and in Preferences for the Project Explorer, Picklists and Person Details screen displays?

I would encourage you to submit a wishlist item to this effect.

It would save users having to do a lot of work when they wanted and then did not want those symbols to show.

You're welcome, Robin. Earlier messages on this subject were pretty well hidden - posted under the 'Version 7' topic and then continued on the VCF forum.

By 'symbols' do you mean the gender symbols or the find-and-replace characters? I assume the gender symbols as discussed in this thread would only be seen in Reports (your custom frames address the Chart request). The display of the find-and-replace characters in the Person view and in Reports is controlled in this case by the exclusion marker.

This is the first request for gender symbols in TMG reports and charts that I can recall - and the macro is suggested only as a workaround, faster than stepping through the report and inserting the symbols one by one. I agree that wider interest in this feature would warrant specific report and display options.

Responses to this thread would help gauge interest . . . .

Virginia