patthepiper

Master Place List and ID's

Is there a way to get ID's displayed in the Master Place list?

On occassions I have noticed something of interest in the MPL then spent ages attempting to locate the corresponding record. Had the ID been available there would have been no problem.

I have investigated this in the past and as a result inserted a 'ID' column in the MPL - but I couldn't discover how to fill my blank column with ID's.

Is there a solution - or is this an item for the 'wish list' ?

Pat Dunbar

Is there a way to get ID's displayed in the Master Place list?

On occassions I have noticed something of interest in the MPL then spent ages attempting to locate the corresponding record. Had the ID been available there would have been no problem.

I have investigated this in the past and as a result inserted a 'ID' column in the MPL - but I couldn't discover how to fill my blank column with ID's.

Is there a solution - or is this an item for the 'wish list' ?

Pat Dunbar

While on the Master Place List screen, highlight the location that you're interested in, and then click on "Events." That will open another window with a list of tags which include that "Place," with names and ID numbers.

John

John,

I must be missing something. What I get displayed is -

Data Set, Type, Principal 1, Principal 2, Date, Place, Memo

Pat

You are in the right place, Pat. Generally, what you are looking at will be a list of all the events that use that place. If there are no events listed, one of two things is going on:

1. The place is used only in a Repository, and not in any events. Open the Master Repository list to look for it, or use the List of Repositories report to find it.
  2. The place is no longer used at all. Use File > Maintenance > Optimize to get rid of unused place records.

Terry,

Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding - I have had a 24 hour line failure.

I'm confused! Perhaps you misread my query.

My original question was, is it possible to include the ID's as a column in the Master Place List.

John said I could view the ID's in the MPL by highlighting the location, then clicking 'Event '. When I did this I got columns -

Data Set, Type, Principal 1, Principal 2, Date, Place, Memo, (but no ID column).

If John is correct, this suggests to me that I have to customise something - I have been around in circles :blink: trying to find a way to do this.

So, is it possible to display ID's in the MPL?

Kind regards,

Pat

My original question was, is it possible to include the ID's as a column in the Master Place List.

You need to explain what you mean by IDs.

IDs of what? people? No. A place is never linked to a person. A single place can be linked to an event or to many events linked to many people. Or to a repository or unlinked as Terry explained.

Places themselves have no user-visible ID numbers.

John said I could view the ID's in the MPL by highlighting the location, then clicking 'Event '. When I did this I got columns -

Data Set, Type, Principal 1, Principal 2, Date, Place, Memo, (but no ID column).

The event list has Principal1 and Principal2 for the event and the event can be opened for editing from this list.

You can also run a filtered List of People report to get a list of people with events linked to a given place.

Hi Pat,

no, it is not possible to have a separate column showing the Person ID in the Master Place List because a place is never linked to a person but to an event.

If John is correct, this suggests to me that I have to customise something - I have been around in circles :blink: trying to find a way to do this.

So, is it possible to display ID's in the MPL?

John's statement is totally correct, Pat. The only "difference" is that as stated above the Person ID is not shown in an extra column but instead shown in the column Principal 1 and/or Principal 2 in brackets following the name of that person in the event list.

See screenshot MPL_MEL_PersonID.jpg

Vera,

Many thanks - problem solved! If only I had expanded the Principal column........!

To all others - also many thanks. I'll now go quietly to bed.

Pat D.

Vera,

Many thanks - problem solved! If only I had expanded the Principal column........!

To all others - also many thanks. I'll now go quietly to bed.

Pat D.

You're welcome, Pat. :)