karenz

problem with family group sheets

I'm having problems with the family group sheets. They are supposed to have Subject, Spouse, Children, and M and F in gray blocks, and the names in clear blocks, but mine only have a thin line separating the sections, and no blocks at all. See attached.

Also, I am printing them in German, with blanks for filling in, but the Birth, Marriage, Death tags for the blank items are in English, not German! I realize I could edit this in Word, but that's a nuisance.

Most importantly I would like to fix the general lay out problem, since I really don't like the way they are coming out. By the way, it makes no difference which language I choose. Only the pdf's look the way they should, but I can't edit the pdf to change the English words to German, so I can't use that in this case. I have to use the Word Document, because that's the only way I can edit them to fix the English problem.

Another thing I have noticed is that the exhibit options are all grayed out, whether the person has exhibits or not.

Why don't my charts look like the sample family chart?

Karen

Wilhelm_Forster_Familie.DOC

I'm having problems with the family group sheets. They are supposed to have Subject, Spouse, Children, and M and F in gray blocks, and the names in clear blocks, but mine only have a thin line separating the sections, and no blocks at all. See attached.

Also, I am printing them in German, with blanks for filling in, but the Birth, Marriage, Death tags for the blank items are in English, not German! I realize I could edit this in Word, but that's a nuisance.

Hi Karen,

am I correct to assume that TMG's interface language is set to default English (US) and when you print the FGS (family group sheet) in German you use the Report options > General tab and set the Output Language to German?

If so, when I try to replicate this I get the correct German output - all works like a charm for me.

Now let's have a closer look at the report sample you provided:

1) Birth tag (German: Geburt) is correct translated for subject, spouse and the first 3 children

2) Marriage tag (German: Heirat) is correct translated for subject and the first 2 children - not for child no. 3

3) Death tag (German: Tod) seems to me to be edited in the Master Tag Type List because when you look at the subject the report doesn't say "Tod" but "Gestorben" in German and when you look at the Father for the subject -the part within the round brackets- you use the correct German genealogical sign for birth -an asterics- but for death you don't use the usual cross sign but "ges." instead. Next look at the output for "Heike Forster" here it says "Death" instead of "Tod"

4) Burial tag (German: Beisetzung) neither for the subject nor i.e. for "Heike Forster" shows up in German

So I would kindly suggest to check the Master Tag Type list whether everything is as should be here - say has correct entries for the different tags in English as well as in German.

And then re-check the people to see whether they have the correct tags assigned.

Why don't my charts look like the sample family chart?

Because you are sending them to a word processor. The "pretty" format you see in the sample is only produced if you send the report to screen, printer, or pdf. When the report is sent to a word processor a simpler format is used. I gather there was a problem reproducing all the formatting in word processor output.

Now let's have a closer look at the report sample you provided:

1) Birth tag (German: Geburt) is correct translated for subject, spouse and the first 3 children

2) Marriage tag (German: Heirat) is correct translated for subject and the first 2 children - not for child no. 3

3) Death tag (German: Tod) seems to me to be edited in the Master Tag Type List because when you look at the subject the report doesn't say "Tod" but "Gestorben" in German and when you look at the Father for the subject -the part within the round brackets- you use the correct German genealogical sign for birth but -an asterics- for death you don't use the usual cross sign but "ges." instead. Next look at the output for "Heike Forster" here it says "Death" instead of "Tod"

4) Burial tag (German: Beisetzung) neither for the subject nor i.e. for "Heike Forster" shows up in German

So I would kindly suggest to check the Master Tag Type list whether everything is as should be here - say has correct entries for the different tags in English as well as in German.

And then re-check the people to see whether they have the correct tags assigned.

Hello Vera,

I do not believe that I edited the death tag, but I have now changed it to read as you indicated. Although all entries that contain information are correct, I am still getting English terms for the unknown information. Interestingly the blank family group sheet prints correctly with all German terms and no English. It's only on the FGS that have partial information, where I am getting a mish-mash of languages.

Also, any ideas why the exhibit options are grayed out?

Thanks

Karen

Also, any ideas why the exhibit options are grayed out?

Hi Karen,

excerpt from TMG Help:

Images in Family Group Sheets and Individual Detail

The following options are available to select images for use in the Family Group Sheet when output is to screen, printer, or PDF file. You can also send an Individual Detail report with a primary person image to Word, WordPerfect, or RTF, however you cannot include images to Word, WordPerfect or RTF in a Family Group Sheet.

None If checked, no images will be printed.

Small images If checked, small images will be used.

Large images If checked, large images will be used.

Wholly Genes, Inc.>

Although all entries that contain information are correct, I am still getting English terms for the unknown information. Interestingly the blank family group sheet prints correctly with all German terms and no English.

Hi Karen,

the blank family group sheets prints correctly because it uses the (default) standard tags. Since you're still getting a mixture of German and English terms in your family group sheet I would still assume that this one partly uses untranslated custom tags instead. If both of them would use (default) standard tags you won't get different result - say see a different behavior.

To tell that for sure I need to look at your project. So in case you would like me to check that you're welcome to use the List of People report > make only One person the subject of the report > say Options > go to the Secondary Output tab > create a New Project and give it a significant name. Then back up this "one person project" only and send me the backup file attached to an email.

To contact me Click here!