Seeing a post on running TMG on WinVista, I searched various Forums for how to run TMG in Linux and found nothing.

I've been running TMG 6.12 for about a year in Ubuntu Linux (Dapper now Feisty), using CrossoverOffice 6.2 with few, if any problems.

The same applies to TMGUtility, SecondSite and GenSmarts.

I have set up a web page on how this was done with much help from John Layt and John Cardinal. I explain how CrossoverOffice and Win4LinPro can be used and the limitations of these and other software. I should point out this it is necessary to possess legal copies of all the genealogy software mentioned. Since it is all very reasonably priced that should not be a problem and, of course, Linux is free and it comes with a full suite of free office software, firewalls, etc.

Look at my web page at: http://rhus.org.uk/ & follow Linux Link

or to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hamamelis/lin....crossover1.htm

I look forward to hearing how you get on with this and would encourage you to try other programs under Linux.

Best of luck, Ian.

Edited by hamamelis@ntlworld.com

Thanks so much Ian for posting this info. This has been one of my reasons for hesitating in using Linux as my primary rather than secondary OS.......I have about 5 programs that are essential which are Windoze ones with TMG & Gedstar Pro being prime among them. I will examine your website closely to see which would be my best choice - Crossover Office or Win4Lin.

B)

Joan

Seeing a post on running TMG on WinVista, I searched various Forums for how to run TMG in Linux and found nothing.

I've been running TMG 6.12 for about a year in Ubuntu Linux (Dapper now Feisty), using CrossoverOffice 6.2 with few, if any problems.

The same applies to TMGUtility, SecondSite and GenSmarts.

I have set up a web page on how this was done with much help from John Layt and John Cardinal. I explain how CrossoverOffice and Win4LinPro can be used and the limitations of these and other software. I should point out this it is necessary to possess legal copies of all the genealogy software mentioned. Since it is all very reasonably priced that should not be a problem and, of course, Linux is free and it comes with a full suite of free office software, firewalls, etc.

Look at my web page at: http://rhus.org.uk/ & follow Linux Link

or to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hamamelis/lin....crossover1.htm

I look forward to hearing how you get on with this and would encourage you to try other programs under Linux.

Best of luck, Ian.

I am running TMG 6.12 quite happily on Win2kPro on VirtualBox 1.5.2 (the evaluation/personal use version) on Ubuntu Gutsy. WinXP also works fine. WinNT runs but is poorly supported by VirtualBox, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you were desperate. Same goes for Vista at present, although support for this will presumably improve in time. Setup for 2kPro and XP is straightforward, and in seamless mode you won't even know Windows is there. I have not encountered any unusual behaviour from TMG under these conditions apart from a tendancy to hang occasionally if the active database is located outside the virtual PC (easily rectified by locating it inside the virtual PC!).

The version of VirtualBox I am using is free proprietary software, and is available from the Ubuntu universe repository (version 1.5.0 as of this post) or from www.virtualbox.org (current version 1.5.2).

Cheers, Andrew.

Thanks muchly Andrew! I will definitely check out VirtualBox. I'm still using Feisty as I haven't found time to download Gutsy.....by the time I get to it they'll probably have 'Hulking' out :D

B)

Joan

I am running TMG 6.12 quite happily on Win2kPro on VirtualBox 1.5.2 (the evaluation/personal use version) on Ubuntu Gutsy. WinXP also works fine. WinNT runs but is poorly supported by VirtualBox, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you were desperate. Same goes for Vista at present, although support for this will presumably improve in time. Setup for 2kPro and XP is straightforward, and in seamless mode you won't even know Windows is there. I have not encountered any unusual behaviour from TMG under these conditions apart from a tendancy to hang occasionally if the active database is located outside the virtual PC (easily rectified by locating it inside the virtual PC!).

The version of VirtualBox I am using is free proprietary software, and is available from the Ubuntu universe repository (version 1.5.0 as of this post) or from www.virtualbox.org (current version 1.5.2).

Cheers, Andrew.

Thanks muchly Andrew! I will definitely check out VirtualBox. I'm still using Feisty as I haven't found time to download Gutsy.....by the time I get to it they'll probably have 'Hulking' out :D

B)

Joan

No worries Joan. Drop me a line if you need any help setting it up. The VB manual is pretty straighforward anyway.

Cheers, Andrew.