keating

Minor Exhibit Log bugs and a feature wish...

Gold Edition v 6.12.000

Right-clicking on the Exhibit Log to add a new item brings up a floating menu. The following entries have extraneous spaces: "Insert new [sic] movie", "Insert new [sic] text", and "Insert new [sic] OLE". (Okay, I'm picking nits here...)

My wish: For added exhibits, if TMG itself can not display an item, use an OS-defined external application to display it. (Attached .PDF files could be opened in Adobe (or ...), .EML files are opened by the default email application, etc.)

Thanks!

John

Edited by keating

My wish: For added exhibits, if TMG itself can not display an item, use an OS-defined external application to display it. (Attached .PDF files could be opened in Adobe (or ...), .EML files are opened by the default email application, etc.)

That is exactly how the Exhibit Log works now. Any document with a Windows-file association can be added to the Exhibit Log and will be displayed by the appropriate external application.

In the Exhibit Log, you right-click and select Insert new text / External file.

On the Insert new exhibit screen, you change the filetype from 'All Texts (*.rtf, *.txt)' to 'All files (*.*)' and browse to the file (a PDF file for example) and select the file and then click [Open] and the file will be linked and show in the Exhibit Log.

The exhibit will show in the Exhibit Log and can be viewed from the Exhibit Log. The viewing process will open the PDF document in Adobe Acrobat Reader.

The contents of the PDF file will not be output in TMG reports (since the contents are not text).

In v7, this process will be clarified and will be more obvious and easier.

I knew I could make the attachments. I didn't realize it would open the appropriate viewer. (I usually use SS for the display of the data, which obviously handles the content-types.) I suppose then my real wish would make the entry more clear, which apparently is on track for v7. See, sometimes wishes do come true! :)

Now, that little OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Devil) on my shoulder still complains about those extra spaces. "They bother me...", it whines... :)

Thanks!

John

That is exactly how the Exhibit Log works now. Any document with a Windows-file association can be added to the Exhibit Log and will be displayed by the appropriate external application.

In the Exhibit Log, you right-click and select Insert new text / External file.

On the Insert new exhibit screen, you change the filetype from 'All Texts (*.rtf, *.txt)' to 'All files (*.*)' and browse to the file (a PDF file for example) and select the file and then click [Open] and the file will be linked and show in the Exhibit Log.

The exhibit will show in the Exhibit Log and can be viewed from the Exhibit Log. The viewing process will open the PDF document in Adobe Acrobat Reader.

The contents of the PDF file will not be output in TMG reports (since the contents are not text).

In v7, this process will be clarified and will be more obvious and easier.