alprunty

Ancestor "Register" Narrative Report

I'm a convert from Legacy and it has a narrative ancestor report ... one where you give it a person and it works upwards.

It's much like the Indented Narrative Descendant report only it goes the other direction. Do you have anything like this?

Allen

P.S. I attached a sample to let you know what it is like.

sample.pdf

In TMG it's called the "Journal" report. Click Options, and on the General tab, set it to either Ancestors or Descendants.

On the same tab you can choose a style modeled on the Register, Record, or The American Genealogist journals, or a Custom format that allows you to choose from a large set of options on the various tabs.

In TMG it's called the "Journal" report. Click Options, and on the General tab, set it to either Ancestors or Descendants.

On the same tab you can choose a style modeled on the Register, Record, or The American Genealogist journals, or a Custom format that allows you to choose from a large set of options on the various tabs.

That report crashes every time I try to run it.

What are the symptoms of the crash? Dimmed menus? Error messages?

Are you sending it to the screen or to a file?

Virginia

I'm sending it to the screen... and it goes to an endless loop and crashes. Says unable to access a table.

On the report definition screen, try resetting the report configuration to its default- using the Delete button under the configuration name. Run that report and if it works, set your other report options and see if that also works.

Do you have a printer selected (on the Properties button)? If it is set to the default printer, try selecting a specific printer. Even though you are not printing, a printer driver is needed in order to format the screen.

Virginia

On the report definition screen, try resetting the report configuration to its default- using the Delete button under the configuration name. Run that report and if it works, set your other report options and see if that also works.

Do you have a printer selected (on the Properties button)? If it is set to the default printer, try selecting a specific printer. Even though you are not printing, a printer driver is needed in order to format the screen.

Virginia

It's working...

Thankie!

I have a probelm with the numbering of that report.

I would like it to number in roman numerals or no numbering at all.

I don't like the way it goes to numbers to letters to numbers.

I would like just an indented ancestry report can it do this?

Allen

I have a probelm with the numbering of that report.

I would like it to number in roman numerals or no numbering at all.

I don't like the way it goes to numbers to letters to numbers.

What report are you running that goes to numbers to letters to numbers?

What report are you running that goes to numbers to letters to numbers?

The journal... is there any way I can make it look more like the sample that I sent in.

Allen

You are talking about the numbers that appear in front of each person's name, right?

I can't figure out a way to get the people numbered with numbers and letters in TMG's Ancestor Journal - In my Journals TMG uses all numbers. If you check the "Use Ahnentafel Numbers" option on the General Tab of Options it Ahnentafel numbers, exactly the same as in the example you posted, rather than simply numbering everyone in order.

TMG's Indented Descendants Narrative uses alternate numbers and letters, but I thought you were doing an ancestor report.

You are talking about the numbers that appear in front of each person's name, right?

I can't figure out a way to get the people numbered with numbers and letters in TMG's Ancestor Journal - In my Journals TMG uses all numbers. If you check the "Use Ahnentafel Numbers" option on the General Tab of Options it Ahnentafel numbers, exactly the same as in the example you posted, rather than simply numbering everyone in order.

TMG's Indented Descendants Narrative uses alternate numbers and letters, but I thought you were doing an ancestor report.

I don't want decendants... that's what I am trying to tell you I want to start from me and work up and have a numbering system (or no numbering system) that makes sense. This is the junk I am getting I don't want 1's and A's and 40's and things that I don't understand... I want it presented in an outline format that my elderly family can read and appreciate without wondering what all that junk is.

Here's what I am getting.... now how do I get rid of the #B and etc off the report?

Allen

Generation One

1. Thomas Allen1 Prunty (Albert, #B) was born on 17 Jun 1971 at Louisville, Jefferson, Kentucky, USA.

He was educated between 1987 and 1989 at Valley High School, Louisville, Jefferson, Kentucky, USA. He was a Firefighter between 1994 and 2001.

Generation Two

B. Albert Joseph2 Prunty (Earnest, #40) was born on 14 Feb 1944 at Edmonson, Kentucky, USA. He married Anna Leatrice McDonald (see #A), daughter of Everett Clayton McDonald Sr. and Nellie Mae Brown, on 28 Aug 1963 at Kentucky, USA.

He was also known as Albert Joseph Prunty.

Children of Albert Joseph2 Prunty and Anna Leatrice McDonald (see #A) are:

1. i. Thomas Allen1.

A. Anna Leatrice2 McDonald (Everett, #40) was born on 28 Nov 1945 at Huntsville, Scott, Tennessee, USA. She and Ronald David Lents were divorced. She married Robert Edwin Helmick. She married Albert Joseph Prunty (see #B), son of Earnest Owen Prunty and Palestine Lindsey, on 28 Aug 1963 at Kentucky, USA. She married Ronald David Lents on 3 Jul 1981 at Hardin, Kentucky, USA.i

She was also known as Anna Leatrice McDonald.

Anna Leatrice McDonald was mentioned in the obituary of Nellie Mae Brown, published in the Courier Journal, as her daughter 10 Apr 1991 in Louisville, Jefferson, Kentucky, USA.ii

Anna Leatrice McDonald was mentioned in the obituary of Nellie Mae Brown, published in the Scott County News, as her daughter 11 Apr 1991 in Oneida, Tennessee.iii

Generation Three

40. Earnest Owen3 Prunty (Thomas, #H0)iv was born on 2 Sep 1906 at Kentucky, USA. He married Palestine Lindsey (see #D1), daughter of George Lindsey and Ida B. Stewart. He died on 15 Mar 1991 at Louisville, Jefferson, Kentucky, USA, at age 84.

Earnest Owen Prunty was listed as the head of household on the 1930 census on 10 Apr 1930. of District 11, Bee Springs, Edmonson, Kentucky, USA. Also living in the house was his wife, Palestine Lindsey, his daughter, Ida Louise Prunty.v

Children of Earnest Owen3 Prunty and Palestine Lindsey (see #D1) were as follows:

i. Ida Louise2 was born on 20 Nov 1927 at Kentucky, USA.

ii. Gladys Maydale was born on 26 Apr 1930 at Edmonson, Kentucky, USA.vi

iii. Dallas R. was born on 23 Feb 1933 at Edmonson, Kentucky, USA.vii

iv. Carrie Florene was born on 29 Jan 1936 at Edmonson, Kentucky, USA.viii She married Berl Cummings. She died on 1 Aug 1993 at Louisville, Jefferson, Kentucky, USA, at age 57.ix

v. Carlos Milton was born on 7 Aug 1938 at Edmonson, Kentucky, USA.x

vi. Katie Grey was born on 6 Dec 1941 at Edmonson, Kentucky, USA.

B. vii. Albert Joseph.

viii. Johnny F was born on 26 Jul 1948 at Edmonson, Kentucky, USA.xi

ix. Kathie Elaine was born on 26 Apr 1951 at Edmonson, Kentucky, USA.xii

D1. Palestine3 Lindsey (George, #A8) was born on 29 Jun 1911 at Edmonson, Kentucky, USA. She married Earnest Owen Prunty (see #40), son of Thomas Owen Prunty and Ollie Erman Basham. She died on 28 Apr 1958 at Edmonson, Kentucky, USA, at age 46.

Palestine Lindsey was listed as a wife of Earnest Owen Prunty on the 1930 Census District 11, Bee Springs, Edmonson, Kentucky, USA, on 10 Apr 1930.xiii

40. Everett Clayton3 McDonald Sr. (Melva, #H0) was born on 21 Dec 1904 at Huntsville, Scott, Tennessee, USA. He married Nellie Mae Brown (see #D1), daughter of William Henry Brown and Julia Catherine Howard, on 1 Jan 1924 at London, Laurel, Kentucky, USA. He died on 22 Apr 1988 at Saint Anthony Hospital, 1313 Saint Anthony Place, Louisville, Jefferson, Kentucky, USA, 40204, at age 83.xiv He was buried after 22 Apr 1988 at Fairview Cemetery, Helenwood, Scott, Tennessee, USA.

Everett Clayton McDonald Sr. was listed as a son(s) of Melva Lawson McDonald Sr. on the 1910 Census 2nd Civil District, Scott, Tennessee, on 18 Apr 1910. he was the superintendant of the Scott County school system.xv

I chose custom format and I can't find a "Various" tab... or nothing that shows numbering. Please help I think I am missing something here.

Click on the Miscellaneous tab; the list of options is on the left side.

Depending on the size of your report definition screen, the Miscellaneous tab may be elongated - looking different from the other tabs and making it easy to overlook.

You might try running the same report in the Sample project in case the 40 etc. are somewhere in your data.

Virginia

Click on the Miscellaneous tab; the list of options is on the left side.

Depending on the size of your report definition screen, the Miscellaneous tab may be elongated - looking different from the other tabs and making it easy to overlook.

You might try running the same report in the Sample project in case the 40 etc. are somewhere in your data.

Virginia

I am getting used to it.. but it still has wierd numbers.

Allen

Allen,

You did try making the report from the Sample project as Virginia suggested and still got the strange numbers?

I'm totally at a loss to replicate your result.

Allen,

You did try making the report from the Sample project as Virginia suggested and still got the strange numbers?

I'm totally at a loss to replicate your result.

I've done it both ways... no luck... still getting 1's and A's and everything inbetween.

Here is the sample data... Generation 1 numbers 1 - Gen#2 starts A and B then Gen#3 starts with 40.

The way that I have seen it in the past was generation 1 would start 1-9 there would be no problem since there are only 2 in this generation.

Gen 2 would start 11-99 then 1A 1B 2A etc

Gen 3 would start 101

Gen 4 would start 1000

Each generation would have more numbers available. I hope you can see how this would frustrate me.

Allen

I've done it both ways... no luck... still getting 1's and A's and everything inbetween.

Here is the sample data... Generation 1 numbers 1 - Gen#2 starts A and B then Gen#3 starts with 40.

The way that I have seen it in the past was generation 1 would start 1-9 there would be no problem since there are only 2 in this generation.

Gen 3 would start 101

Gen 4 would start 1000

Each generation would have more numbers available. I hope you can see how this would frustrate me.

I like Legacy's narrative ancestor report... it just numbers everyone sequential. (That's my sample PDF)

Allen

Gen 3 would start 101

Gen 4 would start 1000

Allen

Terry... if I could get no numbers and have a narrative like this I would be absolutely happy. I love this on your website it's awesome. Help me get there.

Allen

http://tmg.reigelridge.com/narratives.htm

Edited by alprunty

Allen,

Yes, I can understand you frustration. I'm sorry we haven't been able to figure out where this is coming from.

If you are seeing the problem in both your own data and the Sample project, that clearly means the strange numbers are not coming from your data.

A total shot in the dark - in case the issue is a corrupted report definition, try this. Open the Journal report definition, then at the top, click Delete. When you get the prompt that you cannot delete a standard definition, click Yes to reset it to the defaults.

Then, in Options, change it to Ancestors, and reduce the number of generations if you like, but make no other changes. Then run the report and see if the problem is still there.

Here's a shot in the dark.

Could this be a missing font problem where ,for instance, the number 2 is being interpreted as letter A.

Just a thought