alprunty

Images with Word 2007

Ok... how to I get my links to show on word 2007. My new computer has 2007 not the old and Vista (I hate both)

TMG tells me how to do it using the old word and I don't have anything that looks like those pulldowns on the new word.

HELP!

Allen

Ok... how to I get my links to show on word 2007. My new computer has 2007 not the old and Vista (I hate both)

TMG tells me how to do it using the old word and I don't have anything that looks like those pulldowns on the new word.

In Word 2007 or later...

1. click the button (upper left round button)

2. select 'Prepare'

3. select 'Edit Links to Files' to open the Links screen

4. hold down and click on the last item on the list (to highlight all records)

5. check the box to 'Save picture in document'

6. click on .

Note that, in Word 2007, the presence of the 'Edit Links to Files' option is context sensitive. If the document has no links, you will not see that option. If the document has links, the option will automagically appear under the 'Prepare' selection.

In Word 2007 or later...

1. click the <Office> button (upper left round button)

2. select 'Prepare'

3. select 'Edit Links to Files' to open the Links screen

4. hold down <Shift> and click on the last item on the list (to highlight all records)

5. check the box to 'Save picture in document'

6. click on <Update Now>.

Note that, in Word 2007, the presence of the 'Edit Links to Files' option is context sensitive. If the document has no links, you will not see that option. If the document has links, the option will automagically appear under the 'Prepare' selection.

Ok... I did that and the formatting was AWFUL... the picture was Huge.

Is there any way I can cut it down?

That's a reflection of the image used. Each image will have an initial size in Word reflecting the resolution of the image. If you have multiple images, each with a different resolution, that will be reflected in how the image initially appears in Word and each image will differ.

There are only two ways to deal with that.

Either...

1) Resize and standardize all of your images for Word output. Make each image a standard resolution and dpi value that will work in Word. That standard size might be one size for person images, a different one for group images, and another for documents. You get the idea.

or

2) Resize each image in Word after you update the links. This is the least desirable alternative since you must do it each time that you create a Word document with images.

One thing I found is to export from TMG as an RTF file, and then open with Word, but do not convert it to a WORD 2007 document.

Just work on it from there and this way the large files stay a maximum of the size of a page, instead of blowing up the size of your living room.

The whole creation of reports interaction between TMG and MS Word is far... far from being acceptable.

I can create a Journal Report of 300+pages and spend 4 to 12 hours editing, creating proper text wraps and photo sizes, before being able to publish, even with editing the master copies of the photo files in advance.

Luckily my genealogy it is a labor of love, there certainly would not be much profit from it! :wub: