zanemc

Change place styles

Hi

I've have TMG vers 6.12 UK version but there's a number persons / events with a US style .

To corrcet I've used John Cardinal's Utility but it doesn't seem to have worked .

Under preferences it says "These options are not relevant in this localised version of TMG"

Any suggestions ??

Then in second site the "Places Index " the Town/City field [L5] is not appearing ??

Could this be related to my TMG problem above ??

Thanks

Zane

Zane: You may need to do the same I have done - I have mostly North American entries however am accumulating more UK ones. To solve that, I created a UK Place Style as well as 3 different North American ones. It is working very well (when I remember to select them that is :rolleyes:

8-)

Joan

Hi

I've have TMG vers 6.12 UK version but there's a number persons / events with a US style .

To corrcet I've used John Cardinal's Utility but it doesn't seem to have worked .

Under preferences it says "These options are not relevant in this localised version of TMG"

Any suggestions ??

Then in second site the "Places Index " the Town/City field [L5] is not appearing ??

Could this be related to my TMG problem above ??

Thanks

Zane

Zane: You may need to do the same I have done - I have mostly North American entries however am accumulating more UK ones. To solve that, I created a UK Place Style as well as 3 different North American ones. It is working very well (when I remember to select them that is :rolleyes:

8-)

Joan

Joan

Thanks but I'd prefer UK style for all records , so I need to change those with US style to UK but John Cardinals utility doesn't work for some reason !!.

Hence I'm wondering whether there's another method like s restore , reinstallation or copy data to another dataset .

I'm getting pretty desperate !!

Thanks

Zane

Sorry, I misunderstood - I thought that you wanted a few US style with the rest UK. In your Master Place Style list, do you have more than one?

B)

Joan

Joan

Thanks but I'd prefer UK style for all records , so I need to change those with US style to UK but John Cardinals utility doesn't work for some reason !!.

Hence I'm wondering whether there's another method like s restore , reinstallation or copy data to another dataset .

I'm getting pretty desperate !!

Thanks

Zane

TMG Utility will change Place Styles and there are no outstanding bugs with that feature as far as I know. If you send me the Log that TMG Utility produced when you modified your project that will help me determine what is happening.

One common error is using TMG Utility on project "A" but then opening project "B" in TMG and wondering why no chanegs are visible...

The place style has something to do with the IMPORTED data, it says. My master file likes to keep the U.S. style and it refuses to change the standard to a custom style. In another new project, I had set up a custom style to add surname prefix (more for names, but the same idea is there). The new project standard is the custom style, and it refuses to change to a U.S. style.

Yes, I know that the default style is set in the dataset manager, but it is a bit non-intuitive, and only works over the short term with new records that are merged with the master, leaving the original records alone.

Perhaps I would need to set up a dummy dataset, set the default style, and merge the entire original with that....delete the old master, and then rename the new dataset to the master name I had before. Voila! the default style is now changed. (Is that how it should work???)

TMG Utility will change Place Styles and there are no outstanding bugs with that feature as far as I know.
The TMG Utility method may be a lot easier since I have used it successfully (and quickly) with a couple of other things. Does it blast the style change into all records, or somehow preserve individual record styles that I have set manually? Edited by retsof

The TMG Utility method may be a lot easier since I have used it successfully (and quickly) with a couple of other things. Does it blast the style change into all records, or somehow preserve individual record styles that I have set manually?
A place record can have only one Place Style assigned to it, and the style can't be customized, so I am not sure what you mean by "individual record styles that I have set manually."

The TMG Utility feature allows you to change all places with Place Style "A" to Place Style "B". You can also add a text filter to limit the change to a subset of places with Place Style "A". See the help page.

A place record can have only one Place Style assigned to it, and the style can't be customized, so I am not sure what you mean by "individual record styles that I have set manually."
The file has a default style, but I seem to be able to change the style on individuals, a member at a time, if I want another one for that person.

The U.S. standard style doesn't make any use of PreSurname. I have a custom style to allow it. Most records I see have the modifiers like ap, verch, von, de, di as a suffix of the given name just to put them somewhere. By my own convention, if it is lower case, it should be there. Proper case like Ap, Verch, Von, De, Di I put as part of the surname.

I will add a "Name-Var" tag, so I can have one of each in the same record. The custom style will work for both versions of the name and improves the given name sort field, which becomes the same in both cases.

Edited by retsof

The file has a default style, but I seem to be able to change the style on individuals, a member at a time, if I want another one for that person.
This thread is about Place Styles, but you seem to be discussing Name Styles. For places, a single place record can have only a single Place Style assigned to it. There are ways around that limitation, but they all involve creating extra place records where the visible data for the place is the same but the Place Style is different.
The U.S. standard style doesn't make any use of PreSurname. I have a custom style to allow it. Most records I see have the modifiers like ap, verch, von, de, di as a suffix of the given name just to put them somewhere. By my own convention, if it is lower case, it should be there. Proper case like Ap, Verch, Von, De, Di I put as part of the surname.

I will add a "Name-Var" tag, so I can have one of each in the same record. The custom style will work for both versions of the name and improves the given name sort field, which becomes the same in both cases.

Yes, you certainly can add Name tags and assign specific Name Styles to those Name tags. The same basic limitation applies, however: you can only assign a single Name Style to a single Name tag. If you want to use one Name Style for one appearance of the name and a different Name Style for some other appearance of the same name then you have to create two Name tags and assign one style to one and the other style to the other.