patthepiper

Relationship Calculator

The Relationship Calculator is giving me a result which I cannot understand.

I am checking the relationship between two 1st cousins, 1 time removed, and the progenitor of the line.

Cousin A's relationship is 27th. & 28th. great grandson.

Cousin B's relationship is 28th. & 29th. great grandson.

Why is the Calculator coming up with e.g. 27th. AND 28th. relationship? Anyone any ideas?

Pat Dunbar

The Relationship Calculator is giving me a result which I cannot understand.

I am checking the relationship between two 1st cousins, 1 time removed, and the progenitor of the line.

Cousin A's relationship is 27th. & 28th. great grandson.

Cousin B's relationship is 28th. & 29th. great grandson.

Why is the Calculator coming up with e.g. 27th. AND 28th. relationship? Anyone any ideas?

Pat Dunbar

That is expected. The once removed means that the cousins are one generation apart to the nearest mutual ancestor. The one in the younger generation will be the 28/9th relationship the older generation will be the 27/8th. This has nothing to do with the age of the cousins, but with the count of the generations between each person and a mutual ancestor. For example a person can be older in years than a biological aunt, but the aunt is a member of the older generation (hence the once removed).

Another way that relationships get confusing is that people may descend from a distant ancestor by more than one path.

First cousins will have 1 or 2 mutual grandparents. That leaves 2 or 3 grandparents that are unique to each. One (or more) of the unique grandparents might also descend from the so-called progenitor via a closer path. You can prove this to yourself by using the Relationship Chart (report) thrice. Run once for each of the cousins to the progenitor and again between the two cousins, then compare them. That's the way you get multiple relationships.

Remember, in multiple relationships ancestors trump aunts/uncles who in turn trump cousins. So if TMG finds one is an ancestor it does not look to see if that person is also a cousin.

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot