pete run

importing GEDCOM gives spurious reference tags

I am importing a GEDCOM (as it happens from another TMG, and I can't get the SQZ file). If I use the Simple Wizard or the Advanced Wizard default with "cite GEDCOM file for all data" everything seems to work fine.

Except: I get lots of "reference" tags with dates that bear no relationship to the original GEDCOM. I suspect it is either something to do with source information that is being converted to reference tags or photo links.

See below for example from GEDCOM.

1. Can anyone shed any light on these spurious "reference" tags?

2. Am I losing any "Data" if I get rid of them?

3. If they are superfluous, is there an easy way either to NOT import them, or multiple deletes from the Data set?

4. Out of interest, does the Simple Wizard just use the Advanced Wizard defaults, or is the simple Wizard more clever and converts according to the content?

Many thanks for your perusal.

<><> This is an extract for 1 individual followed by Individual detail report (both amended to change names etc)

1 NAME Forename /SURNAME/

1 SEX M

1 CHAN

2 DATE 14 OCT 2007

1 OCCU Joiner

2 DATE 21 APR 1951

2 SOUR @S10@

1 BIRT

2 DATE 29 JUN 1928

2 PLAC 134, Hall St, Townxx, Lancashire

2 SOUR @S11@

2 SOUR @S12@

2 SOUR @S11@

3 PAGE Registrar

3 NOTE S G Leigh, Deputy Registrar

1 NOTE Townxx Guardian, BIRTH - SURNAM - On the 29th inst, to Mr. and Mrs. Alst

2 CONC on (nee Rigby), 134 Pall Mall, a son.

2 SOUR @S59@

3 PAGE Townxx Guardian, July 7 1928

3 NOTE BIRTH

4 CONT SURNAM 0 On the 29th inst, to Mr. and Mrs. SURNAM (nee Rigby), 134 Pal

4 CONC l Mall, a son.

1 REFN SURNAM H, Joiner, 14 William St, Townxx 3457

2 DATE 1953

2 PLAC 14, William St, Townxx, Lancashire

2 SOUR @S72@

1 RETI

2 DATE 1986

1 OCCU Master joiner and builder

2 DATE 20 SEP 1955

2 SOUR @S8@

2 DATE 1951

2 SOUR @S72@

2 DATE 1952

2 SOUR @S72@

1 REFN SURNAM H, The Willows, Coppull Rd, Townxx 71616

2 DATE 1972

2 PLAC The Willows, Coppull Rd, Townxx, Lancashire

2 SOUR @S72@

1 OBJE

2 FORM JPEG

2 TITL SURNAM, Harris as a little bo

2 FILE c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Genealogy\Photos\People\SURNAM, Harris as a little boy.jpg

1 OBJE

2 FORM JPEG

2 TITL Townxx, 134 Pall Mall

2 FILE c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Genealogy\Photos\Places\Townxx, 134 Pall Mall.JPG

1 OBJE

2 FORM JPEG

2 TITL SURNAM, Harris and Eileen wedd

2 FILE c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Genealogy\Photos\People\SURNAM, Harris and Eileen wedding.jpg

1 OBJE

2 FORM JPEG

2 TITL Deane, St Mary the Virgin

2 FILE c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Genealogy\Photos\Places\Deane, St Mary the Virgin.JPG

1 OBJE

2 FORM JPEG

2 TITL SURNAM, Forena & PICKERING, Ei

2 FILE C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Genealogy\Documents\SURNAM, Forena & PICKERING, Eileen marriage 1951.jpg

1 OBJE

2 FORM JPEG

2 TITL SURNAM, Forena birth 1928

2 FILE C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Genealogy\Documents\SURNAM, Forena birth 1928.jpg

1 OBJE

2 FORM JPEG

2 TITL SURNAM, Forena birth 1928 smal

2 FILE C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Genealogy\Documents\SURNAM, Forena birth 1928 small.jpg

1 FAMS @F1@

1 FAMC @F2@

0 @I3@ INDI

__Individual Detail__

Subject* Foren SURNAM (2)

Father* Walter Robert SURNAM (6) (b. 18 Jan 1902, d. Oct 1949-Dec 1949)

Mother* Florence May RIGBY (5) (b. 24 Jun 1906, d. 27 Nov 1994)

Note* __ ___ ____ Townxx Guardian, BIRTH - SURNAM - On the 29th inst, to Mr. and Mrs. SURNAM (nee Rigby), 134 HuttyMall, a son.1

Birth* 29 Jun 1928 134, HuttyMall, Townxx, Lancashire.2,2,3

Reference: __ ___ 1951 14, Tamaly St, Townxx, Lancashire; SURNAM H, Joiner, 14 Tamaly St, Townxx 3457.4

Occupation* 21 Apr 1951 Joiner.5

Marriage* 21 Apr 1951 Eileen SURNAME2 (3) (b. 17 Mar 1928); St. Mary the Virgin, Junction Rd, Deane, Bolton, Lancashire.5,6,6,7

Reference: __ ___ 1952 14, Tamaly St, Townxx, Lancashire; SURNAM H, Joiner, 14 Tamaly St, Townxx 3457.4

Reference* __ ___ 1953 14, Tamaly St, Townxx, Lancashire; SURNAM H, Joiner, 14 Tamaly St, Townxx 3457.4

Son: 12 Mar 1953 Stephen SURNAM (4); Hortleys Hospital, Farnworth, Lancashire; Q1 1953 Farnworth 10c 263.

Son: 20 Sep 1955 Andrew SURNAM (1); Thiny Lane Hospital, Thiny Lane, Townxx, Lancashire; Q4 1955 Townxx 10c 13.8

Reference: __ ___ 1972 The Willows, Gunther Rd, Townxx, Lancashire; SURNAM H, The Willows, Gunther Rd, Townxx 71616.4

Retirement* __ ___ 1986

Reference= Age 79? Children=2

Endnotes

1. unknown author, Townxx Guardian (n.p.: n.pub., n.d.), Townxx Guardian, July 7 1928.

2. unknown author, B. SURNAM, Foren 1928, Name Of Person: Foren SURNAM, Registration District: Townxx (n.p.: 29 Jun 1928, Registration Date, 23 Jul 1928, n.d.).

3. unknown author, B. SURNAM, Foren 1928, Registrar.

4. unknown author, Telephone Directory, Directory Type: Telephone directory (n.p.: n.pub., n.d.).

5. unknown author, M. SURNAM, Foren & SURNAME2, Eileen 1951, Name Of Person: Foren SURNAM, Second Person: Eileen SURNAME2, Registration District: Bolton (n.p.: 21 Apr 1951, n.d.).

6. unknown author, M. SURNAM, Foren &, Witness.

7. unknown author, M. SURNAM, Foren &, Registrar.

8. unknown author, B. SURNAM, Andrew 1955, Name Of Person: Andrew SURNAM, Registration District: Townxx (n.p.: 20 Sep 1955, Registration Date, 7 Oct 1955, n.d.).

I get lots of "reference" tags with dates that bear no relationship to the original GEDCOM.

I don't understand what you are saying here. The Reference tags come straight from the GEDCOM:

2 DATE 1953

2 SOUR @S72@

2 DATE 1951

2 SOUR @S72@

2 DATE 1952

2 SOUR @S72@

1 REFN SURNAM H, The Willows, Coppull Rd, Townxx 71616

2 DATE 1972

2 PLAC The Willows, Coppull Rd, Townxx, Lancashire

2 SOUR @S72@

The import is entering them because they are in the GEDCOM. As to what they might mean, I have no idea. You say this GEDCOM came from TMG, so that says that the user was using some Tag Type that had the GEDCOM tag set to REFN. That could be the standard Reference Tag, or some custom Tag Type. Either way, it is not obvious what the meaning was unless you can find out from the originator of the file. Deleting them will clearly lose data, but whether it's important or not can't be known until you figure out what it was.

It appears to me that the reference tags are information from a telephone directory. The detail report shows a 4 at the end of each these tags .

Reference: __ ___ 1951 14, Tamaly St, Townxx, Lancashire; SURNAM H, Joiner, 14 Tamaly St, Townxx 3457.4

If you check the endnotes, you will see it refers to a telephone directory.

4. unknown author, Telephone Directory, Directory Type: Telephone directory (n.p.: n.pub., n.d.).

Joanne Skelton

Many thanks for those 2 observations. None so blind as cannot see! I must admitt, it might be difficult for someone to understand my custom items, just goes to show its best to try and keep it standard.

I'm still interested in my 4th question:

4. Out of interest, does the Simple Wizard just use the Advanced Wizard defaults, or is the simple Wizard more clever and convert according to the GEDCOM content?

4. Out of interest, does the Simple Wizard just use the Advanced Wizard defaults, or is the simple Wizard more clever and convert according to the GEDCOM content?

The Simple Wizard settings are the same as the Advanced Wizard defaults. With GEDCOM imports, you are almost always going to need to use the Advanced Wizard to assign custom tag types to non-standard, custom, and Event Misc GEDCOM tags. Also, you might want to select settings like assume marriage of parents and cite the GEDCOM for all imported data.