TWagner48

Checking for multiple names

I have tried to figure this out on my own, but obviously I'm not smart enough. I need to run a query to find individuals with more than one name associated with the person. I am particularly interested in finding those where the given name may be blank.

John, Thank you for the rapid response. I am still not sure how to select people with multiple name tags (which is OK) from those with multiple name tags in which there is no data (name) attached. In other words, I am finding individuals who have multiple name tags and one of the name tags has a valid citation, but no name.

I think you can check for two separate conditions:

- Has multiple name tags AND

- Has a name tag where given name is empty

That will capture cases where the empty part is in the primary name but if that's OK then the above will work. Otherwise, you'll have to make the filter a little more complex.

Please note that in TMG, some non-primary name tags look like the given name is blank even when it isn't. That's because (A) only a surname was entered in the name tag and (B) TMG is inferring the given name. When the given name is inferred, TMG assumes that the given name from the primary name tag should apply to the non-primary name tag in question. You often see inferred given names with Name-Marr tags, for example.