I am thinkings about investing in a Pocket PC to make it easier to take my family tree with me when I travel.... but is this efficient with a large database? I don't see that the memory is very large on the portable pc's which means memory cards. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks!

Tammy

Hi Tammy

I would think it depends mostly upon what you want to accomplish with the device. I'm not sure what you mean by "large" database. 10,000 people? 100,000 people? I don't actually have a pocket PC. I use a Palm LifeDrive instead, with GedStar Pro installed on it. I've had it for about a year now, and have found it to be a priceless asset, especially at times when it is inconvenient (or just plain impossible) to have my laptop with me. The LifeDrive has a nice big (for a palm device) display and a 4 GB internal hard drive. My database is smallish, perhaps 7,000 people or so, and the device handles it beautifully. The downside of my device is that I can't do data entry into TMG on it, only viewing. In a pinch, I can enter notes in my version of pocket word on the device.

I went the Palm route because the device was simplicity itself to set up, use and maintain. The lack of data entry capability into TMG causes no heartburn for me because I don't care to ever update my TMG database on that device. That would just give me yet another device to try to keep in sync with the main database on the desktop and the backup database on the laptop. And the idea of trying to enter data into a device that small has no appeal for me. But when I bring it out at family reunions during conversations about who is related to who, and things like that, people say "Wow, I want one of those!".

Mike Daugherty

Frederick, Maryland

HI Mike,

I have over 18,000 people in my database and when I travel outside the state going to cemteries and etc., it's hard to lug a laptop around... sometimes alot of walking up mountains and such and it's nice to have my info with me and would be nice to have something long lasting in the battery department and capable to input info into. But I am exploring options at this point to see if anything is capable of doing what I want.

Thanks for the input!!!!

Tammy

:D

I have over 18,000 people in my database and when I travel outside the state going to cemteries and etc., it's hard to lug a laptop around... sometimes alot of walking up mountains and such and it's nice to have my info with me and would be nice to have something long lasting in the battery department and capable to input info into.

The toolbox for cemetery research includes your data on either a PALM or Pocket PC for reference only, a camera (spare batteries & memory card), paper & pencils, a GPS and maybe some stonecutter's copy paper for those impossible to read stones. Don't try and do any data entry into your PDA! Don't forget your bug spray!

Enter the results of your field trip in the comfort of your home (or hotel) where you have the time to analyze the data with a nice hot chocolate (or other drink of choice.)

I too use a Palm LifeDrive with GedStar Pro and wouldn't trade it for the world. I didn't enter directly into my laptop version of TMG, only made notes before I started using a Palm so don't miss the ability to enter into my database. I have a keyboard for entry notes when in archives, libraries, etc. or, as Barbara recommends, a digital camera for places like cemeteries. I have several datasets which total close to 50,000 entries and have no problem with it on the Palm. Of course you can also add much more memory with an SD card which I have done which gives me several more GBs of storage :rolleyes:

B)

Joan

Differing view. I do have a Palm Z22 and Gedstar Pro. It is great for looking up birthdates or relationships when my MIL can't remember someone's birth date, or when someone died. But I still prefer taking my laptop with me on research trips. On cemetery trips we have a converter that can run the laptop off the cigarette lighter and then I can just plug it in. We run it off battery while we are at the cemetery and then recharge on the way to the next cemetery. If they are close, we just leave it plugged in ( I can't remember if the car has to be on or not.)

Then at lunch, we try and find a restaurant that will allow us to use a plug. If they have a light on the table, chances are good there's a plug nearby.

The one thing I like to do is be able to edit while I am there, run reports to screen, and frankly since bifocal days, I like to be able to have a large screen.

I don't regret buying the Palm or Gedstar Pro. Both perform as advertised. I just find I prefer taking the laptop with me.

Now the digital camera, don't know how I ever lived without it. We can do a Whole cemetery in about 20 minutes. I can upload the pictures, edit, print, whatever. We actually put the images on the computer after each cemetery to free up memory cards although at 8GB, it will be a while before I really need to. Just be sure you get a camera that can use AA batteries. Funny there are never any of those specialty camera stores out where my ancestors are buried. Heck, we're lucky to see a house.

Guess after 17 years of being pack mule to 3 kids, a laptop and case seems light. LOL

When I'm doing local entry, I may use my laptop however again, my preference is to use the Palm then download to my desktop if in town or laptop when away. It's not simply weight that's my reason, it's also protection of an expensive laptop I couldn't replace and simplicity......I often don't have a vehicle when I'm researching 'Back East' so wouldn't have a place to sit or to recharge the battery (although I do have the long-lasting type). I've never run out of power with my Life Drive(touch wood) so make the notes on the Life Drive then onto my laptop when away and copy & paste into TMG as I get time either while still away or when I get home. I've found this to work very well for me.

B)

Joan

Differing view. I do have a Palm Z22 and Gedstar Pro. It is great for looking up birthdates or relationships when my MIL can't remember someone's birth date, or when someone died. But I still prefer taking my laptop with me on research trips. On cemetery trips we have a converter that can run the laptop off the cigarette lighter and then I can just plug it in. We run it off battery while we are at the cemetery and then recharge on the way to the next cemetery. If they are close, we just leave it plugged in ( I can't remember if the car has to be on or not.)

Then at lunch, we try and find a restaurant that will allow us to use a plug. If they have a light on the table, chances are good there's a plug nearby.

The one thing I like to do is be able to edit while I am there, run reports to screen, and frankly since bifocal days, I like to be able to have a large screen.

I don't regret buying the Palm or Gedstar Pro. Both perform as advertised. I just find I prefer taking the laptop with me.

Now the digital camera, don't know how I ever lived without it. We can do a Whole cemetery in about 20 minutes. I can upload the pictures, edit, print, whatever. We actually put the images on the computer after each cemetery to free up memory cards although at 8GB, it will be a while before I really need to. Just be sure you get a camera that can use AA batteries. Funny there are never any of those specialty camera stores out where my ancestors are buried. Heck, we're lucky to see a house.

Guess after 17 years of being pack mule to 3 kids, a laptop and case seems light. LOL