Kaiyote

Working while Viewing Exhibits?

Having recently (last week) installed TMG, I'm still exploring the vast range of features. One issue that I have run into involves the Exhibit Log.

Unlike the normal windows (Details, Flags, Children, etc.) which can lose focus, the Exhibit Log appears to have been programmed to retain focus while it is open. The result is that I cannot have an exhibit open for viewing while working with other aspects (tags/events) of an individual. This becomes important, since I'm extracting information from my digital source to add to the database.

One obvious workaround (since I currently use external exhibits) is to use a separate program to view the exhibit. This is my current method, though it will become increasingly clumsy as my exhibits grow - particularly since I use different folders to store my exhibits in.

I would greatly appreciate hearing anyone else's workarounds, or (preferably) an explanation on the mistake I'm making within TMG!

Jim,

Thanks for the quick response & workaround.

Run two instances of the program. Work in one instance and view the Exhibit Log in the other instance.

This appears to be a good workaround for when my number of exhibits has become less manageable. In the meantime, the external viewer I use probably uses fewer resources than running another instance of TMG.

I would rather have found out that I was doing something wrong... any idea why the program is coded in this manner?

Thanks for the extra layouts!

I was presented with the same problem when I initially started using TMG as I use a large number of scanned photos and digitized records in my research. Because of TMG's shortcomings in the exhibit area, I too have found that external programs is the way to go. I do of course add all my exhibits in the exhibit log but I always manage them outside TMG. For general viewing I use ACDSee 2.4 (which is an old version, but the last one to be really fast as the later versions started getting bloated and demanding on the system - ACDSee 2.4 fires up in under a second and allows quick zooming, quick navigating, etc). For image editing I use Photoshop and also Adobe Elements for management and it works great for me.

Don't get me wrong, TMG is without a doubt the best genealogy program out there, but certain things are just done better using external programs. Media exhibits is one of them.

Ken.

Unlike the normal windows (Details, Flags, Children, etc.) which can lose focus, the Exhibit Log appears to have been programmed to retain focus while it is open. The result is that I cannot have an exhibit open for viewing while working with other aspects (tags/events) of an individual. This becomes important, since I'm extracting information from my digital source to add to the database.

Because of TMG's shortcomings in the exhibit area, I too have found that external programs is the way to go. I do of course add all my exhibits in the exhibit log but I always manage them outside TMG.

Some people grouse about the media limitations of TMG but one program can't do everything. TMG does not have the image management abilities of iMatch and the acquisition/editing abilities of PhotoShop or almost all other third party applications. And it never will. Exhibit management/acquisition/editing will always be done better outside of TMG. v7 will have some subtle changes in the Exhibit Log that make what you must do from the EL easier.

Because of TMG's shortcomings in the exhibit area, I too have found that external programs is the way to go. I do of course add all my exhibits in the exhibit log but I always manage them outside TMG.

Some people grouse about the media limitations of TMG but one program can't do everything. TMG does not have the image management abilities of iMatch and the acquisition/editing abilities of PhotoShop or almost all other third party applications. And it never will. Exhibit management/acquisition/editing will always be done better outside of TMG. v7 will have some subtle changes in the Exhibit Log that make what you must do from the EL easier.

Jim,

It appears to me that we're on the same page here. One of the reasons I selected TMG was due to it's powerful sourcing. I wasn't looking for the XXX-Mart/XXX Depot program that had its hand in everything. I prefer to use other programs (that specialize in their own field) to do the multimedia manipulations / editing.

I would have to agree with 'elevator' however, that within its own area of expertise, TMG v6 does have some shortcomings in the Exhibit Log. IMO, I should be able to view the exhibit while I work elsewhere in the program - without running another instance. I was already looking forward to seeing the improvements with v7 (along with everyone else)!

Regardless, my original point was to ensure that I wasn't missing a feature, or doing something incorrectly. You addressed it well & provided me a valid workaround - Thanks again!

I agree 100% and that's exactly why I have resorted to using third party programs. While I think we all have wishes for future improvements, what we are doing here is providing solutions to problems that TMG either is never meant to address or currently does not address. Media exhibits is one of those things that are always going to be better handled by third party programs, because like you said, TMG's exhibit log is never meant to answer to/compete with programs like photoshop/elements or ACDsee.

Ken.