Rae Jean

Movement between Detail views with Item Tips displayed

I prefer to have Item Tips turned on so I can view the memo content of tags while in the Detail View. On the Detail View, often I use tags to move from one person to another -- this is when the person I am viewing is a witness to another person's tag. To put it another way, let's say John is a "witness" to his uncle's will. When I am viewing John's Detail View, then I can select the uncle's will tag to move to the uncle's Detail View. Since the item tip screen pops up in front of the tag line location, this solution makes it easy to use item tips and move back and forth between people.

To easily do this, select the TAG column TAG NAME, then use CTRL-P (control key and letter P) to move to the person of interest.

If you want to move back to the person screen you were previously viewing, then use CTRL-L as usual.

You can use this suggestion in either the Tabbed Detail View or the NO TAB Detail View.

More precisely...

To easily do this, select the TAG by clicking the tag name in the TYPE column, then use CTRL-P (control key and letter P) to move to the person of interest.

Works beautifully and is a very clever solution to the problem of navigating when the Tag Box item tips are enabled.

Another one of those TMG tips that can go under the 'why didn't I figure this out'.... :notworthy: Thanks to you both and I'll be happy to pass this along to our User Group.

:cool:

Joan

I was trying to remember how to read the extended lines in the memo fields - saw a post here that said turn on the item tips; that much worked. Problem is I can't turn off all those prompts about 'remember the memo field won't print without changing the report preferences" or something like that - and it comes up every time I try to add a tag. I don't have the time to keep x-ing it out every time I want to add an item. What can I do?

You are talking about "Reminders," which appear for both Tags and Citations. To keep them from opening automatically, in Preferences > Program Options > Data Entry, uncheck the "Open Reminder window automatically" box.

If you want them for a particular Tag or Citations, click the "light bulb" button, which opens and closes the Reminder.