bkreuter

Family Filter

Does any one out there have what I would call a family filter? I learned how to do a direct ancestor filter on one of the training viodeos. What I need is what we get when we run Journal reports. Example would be all the ancestors of say my father then all the children of those ancestors, the children's spouces and the children's spouces parents - like what would print out on the ancestor Journal report.

oops this didn't translate well - think of a pedigree chart.

--- (1. this person)

---|

| --- (2. this person's ggg grandfather)

---|

| | ---

| ---|

| ---

|

---|

| ---

| ---|

| | --- (3. this person's gg grandmother)

---|

| --- (4. this person)

---|

---

oops this didn't translate well - think of a pedigree chart.

--- (1. this person)

---|

| --- (2. this person's ggg grandfather)

---|

| | ---

| ---|

| ---

|

---|

| ---

| ---|

| | --- (3. this person's gg grandmother)

---|

| --- (4. this person)

---|

---

My deepest sympathies, Barbara. At the top of my TMG wishlist is a wysiwyg editor for this forum. This present forum editor reminds me of Compuserve in the 1960s. When I've posted this wish, in the past, it seems to disappear.

Good luck to us all,

Mike Talbot

Does any one out there have what I would call a family filter? I learned how to do a direct ancestor filter on one of the training viodeos. What I need is what we get when we run Journal reports. Example would be all the ancestors of say my father then all the children of those ancestors, the children's spouces and the children's spouces parents - like what would print out on the ancestor Journal report.

The problem is, you can't do that with a single filter. You can create a filter that collects all the ancestors, and add their children. But a filter cannot then add the spouses of those children, nor the parents of those spouses.

To do that, you can use the Focus Group, which allows you to add first the ancestors, then add their children, then add their spouses, then add their parents.

Or, you can create a custom Flag, and using the Secondary Output of the List of People report, set the flag so that it marks all the desired people.

Both methods are described in my Article on Filters.

Yes, thanks, that one and another. Sorry about that, I did not know that this forum was off-topic for this forum.

Best wishes,

Mike talbot