Guest deliarobertson

Pregnancy

Guest deliarobertson

All, does anyone have any sentence ideas for pregnancy announcements, the child in utero, exhibits, etc. I have received a pregnancy announcement which I would like to record. The expectant father created a "movie" from the video of the mom's first scan which is rather fun and which I would like to attach as an exhibit. Thanks much. Delia Robertson

Hi Delia,

I do not have such an event in any of my data sets, but how I would enter it would depend upon how many of such events I believed to be likely. For "one-of-a-kind" events I use a custom event with a very generic sentence:

[P1] <and [P2]> [M1] <[D]> <[L]> <[M2]>

With the two parts of the split memo (I use split memos a lot) you can make this sentence say just about anything you want. Of course, you could have Witnesses to the event (perhaps the unborn child, or the doctor, or ?) with a similar generic witness sentence:

[W] [WM1] [P1] <and [P2]> [M1] <[D]> <[L]> <[WM2]>

For your pregnancy example, if you made the parents P1 and P2, then M1="announced the coming of a son", and M2="and obtained a movie of the ultrasound". Then you might have grandma a Witness with WM1="began preparations to be a grandmother when" and WM2="by sending a movie of the ultrasound. She began knitting blue booties."

You can do quite a lot with the split memos of such a generic event. If I thought there would be a lot of these pregnancy events, then I would make a custom event for just this situation.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Guest deliarobertson
Hi Delia,

I do not have such an event in any of my data sets, but how I would enter it would depend upon how many of such events I believed to be likely. For "one-of-a-kind" events I use a custom event with a very generic sentence:snip

If I thought there would be a lot of these pregnancy events, then I would make a custom event for just this situation.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Yes it does, thank you! Our family has a crop of 20/30-somethings that are in the process of beginning/adding to families, or seem to be heading in that direction.

So maybe there will be quite a few of these events in the next half-decade or so.

Thanks again.

Delia