I have set up files for 44 different descendant box charts with the same file definitions. Most print just fine. On two of the charts charts though, there are huge gaps between two boxes within the same generation for no apparent reason. Let me know if you need any more info. I was going to attach the file, but it might be too big to work here. I'm printing left to right. Thanks in advance!

Debbie V

This problem has been reported a number of times before. There are three types of it.

(1) early children in a family without descendants being placed as close to the left then followed a long distance away by a person with a large descendant tree.

(2) multiple marriages where the first spouse has no children and second spouse has nany descendants, a consequence of same bug as above - the long line between first and second spouse.

(3) multiple married persons with UK style marriage lines (or partners unknown) causes large than necessary gaps in the chart as the algorithm tries to make certain internal distances equal but creates large spaces.

There must be a published chart drawing algorithm that thas this bug because the same problem occurs in FTM, Roots Magic as well as Visual Chartform. It is a lack of a "review and adjust" step in the drawing algorithm that moves some items to the right to reduce these gaps. I have previously asked for it to be fixed as it makes these charts unacceptable for display.

I have set up files for 44 different descendant box charts with the same file definitions. Most print just fine. On two of the charts charts though, there are huge gaps between two boxes within the same generation for no apparent reason. Let me know if you need any more info. I was going to attach the file, but it might be too big to work here. I'm printing left to right. Thanks in advance!

Debbie V

Since only a few of your charts have the problem, have you tried moving the offending chart sections manually with VCF? These techniques allow you to please yourself no matter the original TMG generated chart layout.

You can select and move large sections at one time, no need to move every box individually. Once you get comfortable with the editing features of VCF, you will find hand editing to be fun. You will amaze yourself making even good charts, better, with hand editing.

You can have the charts that you want before WG fixes the problem. Please forgive me if I have misunderstood your chart issue.

Good luck,

Mike Talbot