Judy M.

Name-Marr tag post-entry

If I haven't been adding the "Name-Marr" tag, how can I enter it at a later time? I'm VERY new to TMG (just started using the trial version), so I may well be asking questions with obvious answers. :(

Mr. Cardinal probably thought your question was more complicated and you had a kazillion entries to add. The simple answer is that when you have the person for whom you want to add any tag on the screen, just click on "Add" (at the top), then select "Add Tag," then for your specific task scroll down until you see "Name-Marr." Double-click on that and you'll get a data entry screen to add the married name in the surname box. Remember to add a date so it shows up on your screen in an acceptable order...I usually add a sort date that is one day later than the marriage date.

John

Remember to add a date so it shows up on your screen in an acceptable order...I usually add a sort date that is one day later than the marriage date.

Why one day later???

Why one day later???

Because if you have two tags (the marriage tag and the married name tag) with the same sort date there is no way to be sure in which order they will sort.

But to offer another view, I don't put in a date at all, because I want all the "junk" tags at the top of the screen and not mixed in with "real data." I enter married name tags only so that name will appear in the Picklist, and never include it in output.

Guest Michael Dietz
But to offer another view, I don't put in a date at all, because I want all the "junk" tags at the top of the screen and not mixed in with "real data." I enter married name tags only so that name will appear in the Picklist, and never include it in output.

I agree with Terry about not wanting the married, nickname, etc. name tags mixed in with the actual events. However I handle it in a different way. I have a custom tag named (pun intended) Section-Names with the sentence structure of:

[:CR:][:CR:]============================== Name Variations ==============================

Note there is no variable in the sentence, it is just a constant value.

I give it a sort date of 2400. I then give the marriage, nick, etc., name tag(s) sort dates of 2401, 2402, ... This way they are all grouped together at the bottom of the display with the section heading which sets them apart from the other tags and they then are not a distraction at the beginning of the display or report.

Mike

Terry and Mike:

I think I like the idea of no date for items that don't need one (e.g., married name). I just wish the slashes could be eliminated from thte detail screen. Is that possible?

Thanks so much for your help!

I just wish the slashes could be eliminated from thte detail screen. Is that possible?

You mean in the date column? The only way to make the go away is to select a date format that doesn't used them, in Preferences in the Program Options > General screen. Of course that applies to all the dates, not just the empty ones.

I think I like the idea of no date for items that don't need one (e.g., married name). I just wish the slashes could be eliminated from the detail screen. Is that possible?

You have a couple of options for marriage (or other) tags to appear in the Details view without a date (or slashes) appearing:

If you use a Sort Date (available in Advanced data entry mode), you can date events to sort chronologically in the Details view, but the Sort Date will not appear if you select the option in Preferences >Tag Box > Show Date instead of Sort Date.

If you don't enter any date - just leave that field blank, you have the option in Preferences > Tag Box to have undated tags sort at the bottom or the top (or no sort) of the Details window.

Virginia

You mean in the date column? The only way to make the go away is to select a date format that doesn't used them, in Preferences in the Program Options > General screen. Of course that applies to all the dates, not just the empty ones.

That still leaves lines for the dates though. Oh, well. Could be worse . . .

Virginia,

I've chosen not to use sort dates, so that eliminates that solution. I guess I'll just live with the slashes since I've chosen the mm/dd/yyyy format. When the months are written out, I still get three lines.

I've chosen not to use sort dates, so that eliminates that solution.

Sort Dates are pretty benign - convenient for ordering events but don't appear in reports or in the Details window unless you want them to. Even if you work in Beginner Mode (as I usually do - since I don't use narrative reports and some of the Advanced options associated with them) you can switch to Advanced mode to set a Sort Date or even a place style and then switch back.

Off the subject, but if you're new to TMG you might be interested in some of the different ways people have customized their layouts. Check out the Favorite Layout thread in the forum at

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...4&hl=layout

Virginia

Off the subject, but if you're new to TMG you might be interested in some of the different ways people have customized their layouts. Check out the Favorite Layout thread in the forum at

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...4&hl=layout

Very impressive! Thanks for sharing that link. I will have to refer back to it.

It's input like this that makes a big difference to newbies, as it's something I probably would never have thought about otherwise. Thanks!

Regarding slashes in dates - why use them?

I use the date format that prints as, for example, 25 Dec 2007.

Would this solve the problem for our enquirer?

Regarding slashes in dates - why use them?

I use the date format that prints as, for example, 25 Dec 2007.

Would this solve the problem for our enquirer?

I believe I will still have lines -- just without the slashes. If I'm wrong, I'll let you know.