Judy M.

Marriage default changed

I added a marriage tag called "Commitment." Somehow it has become my default. In the Tag list, "Commitment" is followed by the carat symbol and an "M." I've compared the Marriage and Commitment tags. The Commitment tag has become "standard" and the Marriage tag is now "custom." The GEDCOM for Commitment is MARR and the GEDCOM for Marriage is EVEN.

So . . .

1. How can I make Marriage the default and Commitment "custom."

2. I changed the GEDCOM so that they are both MARR. I am assuming for GEDCOM purposes that will be best.

Thanks for your help to a *real* newbie who is jumping in with both feet!

I added a marriage tag called "Commitment." Somehow it has become my default. In the Tag list, "Commitment" is followed by the carat symbol and an "M." I've compared the Marriage and Commitment tags. The Commitment tag has become "standard" and the Marriage tag is now "custom." The GEDCOM for Commitment is MARR and the GEDCOM for Marriage is EVEN.

I have no idea how you did that.

1. How can I make Marriage the default and Commitment "custom."

Just edit both tag types to get them back to what they should be. Change the details of the 'Commitment' tag type to those for Marriage and change the details of the 'Marriage' tag type to those for Commitment. Just make a note of all details for each tag ahead of time so that you don't get mixed up.

2. I changed the GEDCOM so that they are both MARR. I am assuming for GEDCOM purposes that will be best.

Makes sense.

I have no idea how you did that.

Well, I just looked at both Commitment and Marriage and see that Commitment is labeled Standard and Marriage is labeled Custom. Is there a relatively easy way to just switch those labels???????????????

Okay. All fixed. I renamed Marriage as Commitment 1, renamed Commitment as Marriage, and then renamed Commitment 1 to Commitment. I almost forgot to change the abbreviation (till I looked at the reports!), but all is now well.

Edited by Judy M.

Okay. All fixed. I renamed Marriage as Commitment 1, renamed Commitment as Marriage, and then renamed Commitment 1 to Commitment. I almost forgot to change the abbreviation (till I looked at the reports!), but all is now well.

Better solution than mine. :mellow: