pete run

add the same source to many events, genbridge and add source to all events

I would like to add the same source to many events, without editing each event 1 by 1.

How did I get here: I've imported some people into my database, normally I use GEDCOM import which gives the option to add a source to all events being imported. I could not do this initially as the file was a UTF-8 file from PAF and the "workaround" is to import via the "welcome screen". This worked fine, but then I then remembered being told that the ideal way is to use a PAF database file direct into TMG (via the integral Genbridge I think). Correct, the results were much better than the imported GEDCOM.

However, I did not see an opportunity to add a source, like when you import a GEDCOM. Am I missing something?

So that's 2 related questions:

1. How to add the same source to many events, without editing each event 1 by 1.

2. Can you add a source to every event when doing a Genbridge import?

Many thanks

1. How to add the same source to many events, without editing each event 1 by 1.

You can add one citation to one tag at a time.

or

You can add a citation for a selected source to all tags in the data set (from the Master Source List).

2. Can you add a source to every event when doing a Genbridge import?

For GEDCOM import, use the Advanced Wizard and on Step 5, select 'Cite GEDCOM file for all data'. You can also do this immediately after import as above from the Master Source List.

Thanks, I'll give that a try

You can add one citation to one tag at a time.

or

You can add a citation for a selected source to all tags in the data set (from the Master Source List).

For GEDCOM import, use the Advanced Wizard and on Step 5, select 'Cite GEDCOM file for all data'. You can also do this immediately after import as above from the Master Source List.

Yes, that works fine, thanks, just have to remember to do it before I merge individuals from the new dataset!!

But that still leaves my other question:

How to add the same source to many selected events, without editing each event 1 by 1.

It would be nice to be able to filter or select items from the Master Event List and add the same source, I would have thought it quite easy to do it for all the events for an individual.

Thanks again, another of those "simple" answers that I could not find in the manual.

But that still leaves my other question:

How to add the same source to many selected events, without editing each event 1 by 1.

In TMG, you can't. I gave you all of the possibilities above.