pete run

report or print sort dates

I want to check which events have a "sort date", but no "date". I've looked through all the reports and can't find a way of listing or printing "sort dates".

Surely, there must be a way! It must be held in the database somewhere.

Perhaps a report that would also show "sort date" different to "date". There might be a few events being mis-sorted due to an unintended sort-date

It would also be nice to see both "sort date" and "date" on the person display, that would be another way of checking, even if a bit "manual". At least a "right mouse click" or button for "Show date instead of sort date", rather than having to go all the way to Preferences.

List of Events

filter

Date Is Empty AND

Sort Date Is Not Empty END

Thanks for the speedy response. I sort of been through this loop already.

Yes, that will give a list, but in the report definition screen > Options > Output columns

I can't find "sort date" on the drop down menu, so no sort date print.

I know my initial query was simply:

"I want to check which events have a "sort date", but no "date". "

It seems strange that there are so many columns to choose from, but not "sort date", is there no way to print the sort date?

It seems strange that there are so many columns to choose from, but not "sort date", is there no way to print the sort date?

The sort data is not data, just a display tool. So it does not output. By design.

The sort data is not data, just a display tool. So it does not output. By design.

For anyone who's interested, the only way so far I've been able to see any sort of "sort date" to file/print is via

TMG UTILITY > TAGS > Set Sort Dates (log only). However this will only display individuals where there is a potential change.

Jim,

I presume sort dates are treated as data by the database, even if the TMG designers don't think of them that way.

It has been recommended that sort dates be used to specify the birth order when we have little information on actual dates, but do have information on which child is older than other children. Putting in a "say" or "estimated" date suggests some logic in choosing the date when regular reports are produced, and we may not want to print out our guesses. In that case, the sort date is useful data for us the TMG users, even if we don't want to pass it off as data to the readers of our reports.

It should not be too difficult to add sort dates to the list of fields that can be printed in a tag list.

Pierce

Thanks for those comments.

I've had a look at http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmgfstr.zip via an interesting article at http://solumslekt.org/forays/tmg.php

And; if you Browse the TMG "G" events file in FoxPro (suggest you do a copy of the file), the column (field name) SRTDATE is easily viewable and looks just like any other column. The whole "table" can easily be exported/copied to excel etc.

So, I see no reason why TMG cannot include it in reports, etc. Indeed, the response to my original query shows it can already used in a filter.

Are there any other utilities like "TMG Utility" that might make use of the SRTDATE field?