sis1of4ch

Wish List - Generations and Images

Would like to be able to have the option to have a page break for each generation when doing a custom journal report. I have gone out to Word and created page breaks, but would be nice to have it be automatic as well as it has messed up my index to add the breaks. The report looks much more professional to have each generation start on a new page.

Also would like to be able to put 2 or more images side by side, for example small pictures of husband and wife side by side on the report instead of one under the other. Is this possible or am I still wishing? Carol

I know it only works on the reports that can be download into a TMG recognized word processor program but I thought you can add page breaks and enlarge or move pictures around to fit pages and generate the index in the word processor program and it will be correct. Aren't the index codes embedded for this reason? Still new myself with TMG and have not tried it yet, but I thought this was one of the advantages of TMG. One problem is that not all the reports download into a recognized word processor program to use this advantage.

knowledgable experenced users am I correct?

I know it only works on the reports that can be download into a TMG recognized word processor program but I thought you can add page breaks and enlarge or move pictures around to fit pages and generate the index in the word processor program and it will be correct. Aren't the index codes embedded for this reason? Still new myself with TMG and have not tried it yet, but I thought this was one of the advantages of TMG. One problem is that not all the reports download into a recognized word processor program to use this advantage.

knowledgable experenced users am I correct?

Yes...

just an aside...

My 4th or 5th great-grandfather (depending) married his niece. Where's the generation break?

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

just an aside...

My 4th or 5th great-grandfather (depending) married his niece. Where's the generation break?

Wherever you want it. :)

Earl

just an aside...

Generation breaks occur at very specific places. The break has nothing to do with any occupant of any generation. Breaks occur following persons with ahnentafel numbers 1, 2, 4, 8, 16...2**n in an ancestry. A specific person may appear multiple times in a single ancestral generation and also might be a member of multiple generations in a single ancestry.

If you know more than about a dozen generations of a person's ancestry, it is highly likely that you will encounter this phenomenon.

Three of my grandparents were distant cousins. I'm my own 5th, 6th, 7th, etc. cousin several times over. Some individual ancestors are members of as many as 4 different generations.

I think that you were kidding, maybe, cheers,

Mike Talbot

Generation breaks occur at very specific places. The break has nothing to do with any occupant of any generation. Breaks occur following persons with ahnentafel numbers 1, 2, 4, 8, 16...2**n in an ancestry. A specific person may appear multiple times in a single ancestral generation and also might be a member of multiple generations in a single ancestry.

If you know more than about a dozen generations of a person's ancestry, it is highly likely that you will encounter this phenomenon.

Three of my grandparents were distant cousins. I'm my own 5th, 6th, 7th, etc. cousin several times over. Some individual ancestors are members of as many as 4 different generations.

I think that you were kidding, maybe, cheers,

Mike Talbot

NOT kidding. When you do a Journal report and send it to Microsoft Word you have titles Generation One, Generation Two etc. I like these generation breaks (Titles) to appear at the top of the page and on a new page for each generation. For example Generation One appears on page 1 - 3, Generation Two title might start in the middle of page 3. I want it to break and start to print at the top of page 4 so that it appears more like a chapter. I used to use a very old genealogy program (ROOTS3 and Roots5) it automatically did a page break for each Generation Title and it is on my wish list for TMG to provide an automatic page break also.

just an aside...

I'm talking about the Titles that appear on a Journal Report, such as Generation One, Generation Two etc.

When you do a Journal report and send it to Microsoft Word you have titles Generation One, Generation Two etc. I like these generation breaks (Titles) to appear at the top of the page and on a new page for each generation.

There is a M/S Word macro described on my website to do a variety of formatting that is not offered in the report options. One of them is to find each generation title and change the formatting of it. You could adapt the same approach to adding a page break before each title, I'd think.

The article is http://tmg.reigelridge.com/WordMacros.htm.

Generation breaks occur at very specific places. The break has nothing to do with any occupant of any generation. Breaks occur following persons with ahnentafel numbers 1, 2, 4, 8, 16...2**n in an ancestry.
No, I wasn't kidding, but "ahnentafel break" is a better terminology for thinking about the solution to the problem. "Generation breaks" are messy, especially when chasing the Plantagenets. It looks more like a "spider web break" over here. Edited by retsof