treesarefun

Country Abbreviations

Dear TMG Users,

I am new to the program but am loving it so far. I remember seeing someplace a list of abbreviations for various countries but of course can not find it now. In particular I don't know whether to use DEU or DE for Germany and would like it to be correct the first time I make corrections from my recent FTM import. Can anyone offer their suggestions or help?

Always,

Debbie

Might you be thinking of the Rootweb.com standardized County Abbreviations/Codes? See: http://helpdesk.rootsweb.com/codes/

Hope this helps. GJ

Dear TMG Users,

I am new to the program but am loving it so far. I remember seeing someplace a list of abbreviations for various countries but of course can not find it now. In particular I don't know whether to use DEU or DE for Germany and would like it to be correct the first time I make corrections from my recent FTM import. Can anyone offer their suggestions or help?

Always,

Debbie

Dear GJ,

Maybe but not sure. Looks sort of the same. Are these the codes that most TMG users use for countries?

Always,

Debbie

I have no idea which country abbreviations are commonly used in the US but in Europe the country codes as defined by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), Geneva, Switzerland are the standard ones.

Referring to the "rule" ISO 3166 the code for Germany / Deutschland is DE.

Maybe but not sure. Looks sort of the same. Are these the codes that most TMG users use for countries?

I don't have anything resembling a scientific study of what "most" users do, but I'd guess from the conversations here and on TMG-L that most users don't use any codes for state or country.

There has been a lot of conversation over the years about the virtues of always spelling out place names. There is an option in many reports to convert the full names to abbreviations, which is useful especially for charts and forms with limited space.