Okay, so this isn't one of my most impressive ones, but it is working for now. I am still debating about making use of the custom toolbar buttons to move from one layout to another so I can have a smaller custom toolbar. The thing is, I'd have to have so many toolbar buttons just to move from layout to layout, I am not sure I would save much space. :huh:

This is just my TMG monitor. The other monitor has Foxfire, Outlook, Gensmarts, etc loaded from time to time.

I am also kicking around the idea of losing the image and flag window so I can make the associate window larger. I can't remember when I changed a flag last (except for the sex flag) and I only use the image for a flag of the state in which they were born, so I could do without that as well. Notice the Focus Group window isn't open on this screen. I haven't needed it today since I am in data cleanup mode and basically working on one person for HOURS :o at a time.

The color is a sage green that blends well with my office paint. It's very soothing to the eyes, and the monochromatic seems to cause less eye glare. THis is basically the same layout I have used in V6, just updated with the associate window.

post-101-1198980725_thumb.jpg

Custom Toolbar set for just census research, showing larger Associates window.

I can move from this layout to the other via the change layout button (which isn't on this toolbar yet)

Since we tend to work on one type of documents at a time, this layout allows me to do just census work. I will probably add a few more buttons like birth and marriage to the toolbar as I use it for real research

post-101-1198981559_thumb.jpg

These are not much different than my V6 layouts. I just added the Associate window to all of them. I really like being able to see the roles at a glance.

post-5405-1199028233_thumb.jpg

post-5405-1199028367_thumb.jpg

When I don't need other applications open on the second monitor, and I want to "spread out", I use this layout. Lots of space for everything here. :)

post-5405-1199028468_thumb.jpg

Here is the layout I've settled on for the time being, employing the new Associates window. I'm not using focus groups (yet) so I don't show that window.

post-2902-1199110535_thumb.jpg

This should have been in the V6 section, since my V7 data conversion didn't work. I'm not using V7 yet for real work.

I'm not using focus groups (yet) so I don't show that window.

I find focus groups very useful when playing with accents. The focus window is designed for looking at ancestors or descendants of a particular person, so an accent level is not needed for that.

To quickly find the end of a chain, I have an accent for father unknown.

My layout contains the detail screen, focus window and a small flag window (to tell whether male or female, if the name is ambiguous) and a couple of other flags that I might be setting above the focus window. The focus window is a half screen wide and must be nearly a full screen high or it becomes unreadable.

The focus window contains my own ancestors. If there is an accent, then it is a direct ancestor with no father. If you click on that person in the focus window, the detail window will go there.

I could do another accent for mother unknown to make a conflict accent with both parents unknown. One is sufficient for some uses. I only have a very few with known mother and unknown father.

The color is a sage green that blends well with my office paint. It's very soothing to the eyes, and the monochromatic seems to cause less eye glare.
Yes, a pure white background is very tiring. I also set up different color pastels for different projects open at the same time.

The thing is, I'd have to have so many toolbar buttons just to move from layout to layout, I am not sure I would save much space.
I'm using the standard picklist of layout names to move between them. I don't want to dedicate any more screen space to something like that. Edited by retsof

I'm using the standard picklist of layout names to move between them. I don't want to dedicate any more screen space to something like that.

If I change, I probably will as well. I'm so accustomed to where things are on the big toolbar now, that I am not sure I want to give up the floorspace. Having a toolbar for each tasks sounds good, but I don't think my ADHD can handle staying on task. :D

Are you doing a custom layout for each census???

Custom Toolbar set for just census research

The responses are so different for each one that I would think that each should be customized.

On the other hand, the later ones not released yet could be useless. There's little family info in there, and they are only samples of the neighborhood, not everyone. I don't really care how many air conditioners they have, either.

Not a layout. I do have separate tags for each census. On my layout for census work, there will be the following tags:

Birth

Marriage

Census 1790

Census 1790 Img

Census 1790 Name

Census 1800

Census 1800 Img

Census 1800 Name

Census 1810

Census 1810 Img

Census 1810 Name

ETC for each

I would have a layout for Estate work, census work, Land records, military records, etc. Haven't yet decided if I want to go that method.

One benefit is a smaller custom toolbar. But I would be changing layouts a lot when I am scanning documents. It will really depend on the time it takes to set up all the layouts and how bored I get on our first snow day. (Here in Alabama, we don't usually get one, much less more than one.)

Thanks to all who posted their layouts. As a new user, I found it really interesting to see these screen shots. The layouts are interesting, but I also loved getting a glimpse of how people structured their tags, flags, etc.

My layout hasn't changed much from v6 - still a minimalist spreadsheet look. but with an even simpler custom toolbar - using abbreviations and color-coded box icons. There are over 40 buttons on the toolbar, but in a small footprint and a convenient corner near the trackball. I use accents occasionally, but mostly just the person color (different for each of my projects).

The Focus Group is shifted half off the screen while I'm working to give more room to the other windows. I have wished for a smaller window for the FG, closer to the size of the Project Explorer.

Virginia

layoutX.jpg

post-1983-1208400379_thumb.jpgI admire all of the complex layouts and ingenuity that went into the above displays.

To new users, I recommend a simple but powerful layout similar to that shown below. Every button that I normally use is only a click away. This layout has changed little from the very well designed TMG4 display and follows the KISS principle with only 4 basic windows. It is my only layout.

Note: the washed out colors were caused by my screen capture program, it is much sharper and more pleasant to view on my screen (19"). For example, the garish orange color for female forground characters is actually a very pleasing pink.

Note the Sibling and Children windows on the layout include a spouse column that is normally hidden. Click on the window and the spouse will appear. Click on the Detail window and the spouse column will be again covered by the Detail window.

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot