Sue Hilton

Merging Sentences

Has anyone tried out the new TMG 7.0 feature to connect sentences? I've tried some really basic ones. Here are a couple I tried:

The first one I did was to connect a death tag and burial tag. This is the construction.

The death tag was: [:CR:][:CR:][P] died <[D]> <[L]> <[A]><[M]>

Then I changed the burial tag to be [+] and was buried <[D]> <[L]><[M]>

This results in a sentence that reads: John Earl Camp Jr. died on 19 Dec 1994 at age 100 and was buried in Rock Creek Baptist Church, Stephens County, Georgia.

Then I tried connecting Education and Graduation tags. I started with my basic Education tag of [PF] < and [PO] > attended < [L]> <[D]> <[M]>

Then I amended the Graduation tag to [+] and graduated <[D]> <from [L]> <[M]>

I then combined three tags: Graduation: [P] <and [PO] > graduated <[D]> <from [L]> <[M]>

Education: [+]; then furthered his education <at [L]> <[D]> <[M]>

and finally another Graduation tag: [+], graduating <[D]> <from [L]> <[M]>

This final one results in the following sentence: He graduated in 1963 from Mount St. Mary's College, Emmitsburg, Maryland; then furthered his education at University of Maryland, Baltimore, graduating in 1967 with a Doctorate in Dentistry.

This sentence merging can become habit forming. I would like to see what other people have done.

- Sue -

Sue, Thanks!

I had never thought of using a semi-colon. I was thinking of just "and".

Ithink if I were going to run them together, I would remove the memo in the death tag, and put it all in the burial tag. I tend to get wordy and I am not sure that would read well in the middle of the sentence:

John Earl Camp Jr. died on 19 Dec 1994 at age 100. His death certificate stated he died of lung cancer, but his family thought he just had pneumonia and was buried in Rock Creek Baptist Church, Stephens County, Georgia.

Sue, Thanks!

I had never thought of using a semi-colon. I was thinking of just "and".

Ithink if I were going to run them together, I would remove the memo in the death tag, and put it all in the burial tag. I tend to get wordy and I am not sure that would read well in the middle of the sentence:

John Earl Camp Jr. died on 19 Dec 1994 at age 100. His death certificate stated he died of lung cancer, but his family thought he just had pneumonia and was buried in Rock Creek Baptist Church, Stephens County, Georgia.

Good point, Teresa. If I'm going to combine the death and burial tags on a regular basis, I need to be careful of that memo entry. Thanks.

- Sue -

Just a note to provide the benefit on some early testing with joyous then disappointing results - and a lesson.

I thought I found a terrific idea for using the [+] code. I have Name-marr tags for all the women in my database. My brainstorn was to use the [+] code in the sentence for the Name-marr Principal role to concatenate the married name sentence to the marriage sentence. I changed the sentence to read:

[+] and used the married name, [N] <[M]>

Create an Individual Narrative report. The new sentences concatenated as anticipated. Check out the Descendant Narrative report. OK too. Check out the Individual Detail and the FGS and the Ahnentafel. I'm onto something here. Or was I?

In the Ahnentafel report, I noticed another person who had data in their memo field creating a longish sentence, and the concatenation wasn't very practical there. "How do I resolve this" I thought. Create two tags Name-marr (using the original sentence structure) and Name-marr2 (using the new structure.) Check the Narrative reports, great. Check the Journal report. It's not where it should be. It was no longer with the marriage sentence, but off in the middle of nowhere in the next paragraph. Why? Journal reports put the BMDB details in the opening paragraph by default.

Lesson: Don't use the [+] to concatenate sentences onto BMDB sentences, since these sentences are placed in the first paragraph in the Journal report, but appear in chronological sort order in other reports. (Unless you are not going to use Journal reports.) Died and Burial may be logical sentences to concatenate, as long as the sort date is used to ensure they appear one after the other.

Note: Since I haven't used Second Site yet (just bought it and I'm waiting for the new TMG7-compatible version), any constructs using the [+] must also be checked out with this program.