depke

V7 Installation Problem

I have downloaded TMG V7 (tmg7setup.exe) to my desktop computer (Win'XP SP2). Running the setup, I agree to the licensing and accept all default folders and options, including to install for "All Users on this computer", and to create backups of the replaced files. The installation copies all files into a folder "The Master Genealogist V7" and then begins "Updating System Configuration" which fails with an error: "You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators account.".

I am the administrator on my home desktop computer and I am logged into my usual administrator account. I've done nothing different that when I installed TMG 5.0 and 6.0 with the similar default folder options for "all users on this computer".

I do have antivirus and spyware software - which I have disabled during this installation.

The error is persistent and recurs after I have restarted the computer - before running any other applications. The error remains the same with antivirus software loaded and without. I've also retried and attempted the installation for a "single user" instead of for "all users of the computer".

After the failure - I allow the installation program to uninstall and restore all original files. It does not clean-up and remove all of its folders - the error continues to happen when I attempt to re-install, even after manually cleaning up and removing the various folders. I do find references to TMG V7 in various registry settings - even after backing out all changes via the uninstall, but I've not resorted to cleaning up the registry entries manually.

Help? I've already purchaced my upgrade license to V7 but I can't get past the base install process.

I am in exactly the same predicament. I have written to the Wholly Genes and a nice lady called Dorothysuggested that I disable the virus and go with the program defaults. I have done all that and it makes no difference. I downloaded the program on 30/12/2006 Australian time from a link on the About.com website where there are reviews of genealogy software programs.

I am using Vista.

I have not had a problem like this before.

There must be a reason why a number of us are having this difficulty.

Help would be very much appreciated.

Marion in Melbourne Australia where it is 42 degrees celsius!

I didn't have any direct problems with installing V7 other than perhaps losing the memo file. That's another wrinkle that keeps me from using it so far.

HOWEVER, I am using AVG free antivirus, which remained on during the entire process. I have XP, though, so am not dealing with Vista issues.

Those of you who are forced to disable McAfee or Kapersky AV may be having conflict issues.

A grid computing program application had problems with Vista installation in that after installation in the regular program path, it wouldn't run at all due to the Vista security hooks. Installing the program in a user defined path instead solved that problem. I am not recommending that just yet since V7 has a new Microsoft path compared to V6, but it might be worth asking the programmers to look into it.

Edited by retsof

I have just now managed to install the trial version (couldn't do that yesterday) - but it will not accept the data provided by the company to unlock it..... so, I guess I am making (very slow) progress, or am I?

I decided to try to install V7 again and searched for advice. I came across this doc written by a Moderator of this list, Jim Byram:

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg6andwinvista.pdf

I had believed that the V7 software was Vista Compatible, and Dorothy at Wholly Genes mentioned that it is "native to Vista" in an email to me.

However, given this doc from Jim Byram I am utterly daunted - I am not able to perform all the operations he suggests to enable the program to function with Vista, even if I can get it installed.

I am starting to believe that I have been mislead and brought the program believing that I would be able to learn to use it without great hassles.

Comments would be appreciated.

Regards, Marion.

[CAUTION: The document tmg6andwinvista.pdf only applies to running TMG v6.12 under WinVista. Note that the document has TMG6 in the title! TMG v7.00.000 is fully WinVista compatible and this document does not apply to running TMG v7.00.000 under WinVista. jeb]

I have just now managed to install the trial version (couldn't do that yesterday) - but it will not accept the data provided by the company to unlock it..... so, I guess I am making (very slow) progress, or am I?
That should be just a copy/paste of the very long serial number that you received in an e-mail. V7 needs the V7 serial number, not the V6 serial number, of course. Without the unlock, it should still function as a 30 day trial version.

I don't think that there is any misleading from here. You are on the bleeding edge of V7 (first users). V6 is a great product. John Cardinal is also quickly working on getting his Second Site 2 working with V7, since it is a little different.

We're all just going through a learning curve of getting past Microsoft bugs. I was installing a router this weekend, and think I have found the solution to three misleading Microsoft related messages by checking past experiences on forums. Isn't technology fun?

Edited by retsof

I have the same problem depke.

Have installed v7 without problem on my laptop, but cannot install on my main PC.

Error: "You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators account."

So far I have tried the following with no luck:

Right-click installation program - "Run As" Administrator - Same error

Ran Regedit and modified all Wholly Genes permissions to "Full" access for all - Same error

Ignored "Rollback" and ran program - "Error in installing program" - (had to uninstall manually)

Created New User with administrator priviliges - Installed program - Same error

Am running out of "Fixes" & am officially bored with re-starts.

Any ideas anyone?

I have downloaded TMG V7 (tmg7setup.exe) to my desktop computer (Win'XP SP2). Running the setup, I agree to the licensing and accept all default folders and options, including to install for "All Users on this computer", and to create backups of the replaced files. The installation copies all files into a folder "The Master Genealogist V7" and then begins "Updating System Configuration" which fails with an error: "You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators account.".

I am the administrator on my home desktop computer and I am logged into my usual administrator account. I've done nothing different that when I installed TMG 5.0 and 6.0 with the similar default folder options for "all users on this computer".

I do have antivirus and spyware software - which I have disabled during this installation.

The error is persistent and recurs after I have restarted the computer - before running any other applications. The error remains the same with antivirus software loaded and without. I've also retried and attempted the installation for a "single user" instead of for "all users of the computer".

After the failure - I allow the installation program to uninstall and restore all original files. It does not clean-up and remove all of its folders - the error continues to happen when I attempt to re-install, even after manually cleaning up and removing the various folders. I do find references to TMG V7 in various registry settings - even after backing out all changes via the uninstall, but I've not resorted to cleaning up the registry entries manually.

Help? I've already purchaced my upgrade license to V7 but I can't get past the base install process.

My issue is apparently resolved. I searched the web for the error ""You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators account." to see what anyone else had encountered - all results were centered on permissions and they recommended modifying various permissions ifor certain registry entries. The big clue was that several of the help posts hinted at differences between the "Administrator" account and being an "Administrator on the machine". There is a difference between being "logged into the machine with the user-id 'Administrator''", vs. being "logged into the machine with an account that has Administrator Privileges".

Anyway, the solution that finally worked for me was to logon to my machine with the actual user-id "Administrator "instead of my normal administrative account that (supposedly) has its privileges set as 'administrator'.

The hardest part was to find the user-id "Administrator" on my machine. I had disabled this account several years ago as a security precaution. Reactivating the "Administrator" user account, (and remembering the original password that I had assigned it), was quite a hassle.

I performed a full and successful install of TMG V7 while logged into the actual account named "Administrator". (Installing TMG for 'all users on the machine').

After the installation completed, I let it reboot the system when prompted. I then logged back into the Administrator account again to let it finalize whatever installation processes needed to complete.

I then logged out of 'Administrator'; and logged in as my usual account, and then ran TMG-V7 for the first time to unlock my serial #, etc.

TMG-V7 is now working from my normal user account. My project(s) converted fine from backups and all is fine.

I don't know for sure why this worked or why the installation process cares about the difference in accounts. I don't know why my account with Administrator privileges doesn't have the same privileges as the actual Administrator account. I don't know why a normal logon as 'Administrator' worked, when I thought I had tried the same thing earlier when I logged in Safe-Mode as 'Administrator'.

The hardest part was to find the user-id "Administrator" on my machine. I had disabled this account several years ago as a security precaution. Reactivating the "Administrator" user account, (and remembering the original password that I had assigned it), was quite a hassle.

depke, how did you finally find the user-id "Administrator" on your machine. I was trying to figure that out yesterday and never did. By the way, I'm running XP Pro and not Vista.

Thanks Depke,

Unfortunately the Administrator in Normal mode "fix" did not work for my system.

For those that might make it work & have problems finding how to log on in Administrator mode (like me).

I found the following:

To Log on as Administrator in Normal Mode (assuming you remember the password!)

First you must ensure that the Administrator Account is enabled:

1 open Control Panel

2 open Administrative Tools

3 open Local Security Policy

4 expand Local Policies

5 click on Security Options

6 ensure that Accounts: Administrator account status is enabled

Then:

1 open Control Panel

2 open User Accounts

3 click Change the way users log on or log off

4 untick Use the Welcome Screen

5 click Apply Options

Shut Down and Re-Start

You will now be able to log on to Windows XP as Administrator in Normal Mode

Hopefully the above may work for some users.

I still have the "You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators account." Error

(I'm running Windows XP Pro)

Edited by blomble

I decided to try to install V7 again and searched for advice. I came across this doc written by a Moderator of this list, Jim Byram:

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg6andwinvista.pdf

I had believed that the V7 software was Vista Compatible, and Dorothy at Wholly Genes mentioned that it is "native to Vista" in an email to me.

However, given this doc from Jim Byram I am utterly daunted - I am not able to perform all the operations he suggests to enable the program to function with Vista, even if I can get it installed.

I am starting to believe that I have been mislead and brought the program believing that I would be able to learn to use it without great hassles.

Comments would be appreciated.

Regards, Marion.

Marion -

Have you been able yet to complete the installation and enter your registration information? Jim's article just applies to v6.12, so don't be concerned about that. If you are still unable to install in Vista, let us know at what step you run into a problem.

You may also want to join the tmg-l mailing list. Many people on the list have installed and are using v7 successfully with Vista and may be able to help with specific problems. You can subscribe to the mailing list at

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/Software/TMG.html

Virginia

My clever husband spent hours on this today, and finally got my TMG7 installed. This is his solution:

When installing TMG V7 some users are getting the following error message.

"You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please re-run this installation from an Administrator account."

If you are already logged in to an account with Administrator privileges then the problem may be caused by the following.

The problem with the registry permissions seems to be caused by changes made by certain security programs. While these security programs are active they intercept registry changes and ask if you wish to grant access to the installation program. Some security programs however do not remove the changes they made to registry permissions if they are uninstalled and users then run across these access errors.

DISCLAIMER: The following is a method I use to reset the permissions in the registry.

I have used the procedure on many computers without problems but will not be liable for any problems caused by this procedure so you must accept that you follow these instructions at your own risk.

You must have one of these systems to use this method.

Windows 2000 Professional

Windows 2000 Server

Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Windows 2000 Datacenter Server

Windows XP Professional

Windows Server 2003, Web Edition

Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition

Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition

Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition

Download subinacl.msi from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

Right click on subinacl.msi and left click on install

Allow it to install to the default folder

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

Open Notepad and paste the following lines into the Notepad window.

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

Save the file as "reset.cmd" in the same folder as above

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

(You must include the quotes or Notepad will call it reset.cmd.txt)

If you do end up with reset.cmd.txt simply rename it to reset.cmd

Go to the above folder and Double left click on the reset.cmd icon to allow it to reset the permissions in your registry. It will take up to 10 minutes to run. Now install TMG again.

Good Job Elletee & Spouse,

Your fix worked for me, although it does seems a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

(BTW my overcrowded computer took about 45 minutes to make all the registry changes.)

On my system, no other installation program has ever needed any registry mods for a normal install. I wonder what the TMG7 installation is trying to do, that no others do?

Thanks again,

Mark

P.S. To reduce the worry - I would recommend others to back up the registry before making these changes.

(Run / Regedit / File / Export / (Export Range - select "All" )

THANKYOU - THANKYOU.

I did exactly what you suggested and it worked :D

That was my 10,000th attempt (exaggerated) and I could hardly believe my eyes!

I wish you well with your installation and hope that your solution is at hand.

With every good wish,

Marion in Melbourne, Australia

Thanks Depke,

Unfortunately the Administrator in Normal mode "fix" did not work for my system.

For those that might make it work & have problems finding how to log on in Administrator mode (like me).

I found the following:

To Log on as Administrator in Normal Mode (assuming you remember the password!)

First you must ensure that the Administrator Account is enabled:

1 open Control Panel

2 open Administrative Tools

3 open Local Security Policy

4 expand Local Policies

5 click on Security Options

6 ensure that Accounts: Administrator account status is enabled

Then:

1 open Control Panel

2 open User Accounts

3 click Change the way users log on or log off

4 untick Use the Welcome Screen

5 click Apply Options

Shut Down and Re-Start

You will now be able to log on to Windows XP as Administrator in Normal Mode

Hopefully the above may work for some users.

I still have the "You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators account." Error

(I'm running Windows XP Pro)

Thank you for your message.

I have resolved my issues thanks to a contributor and am most appreciative.

However, I didn't appreciate your "passing the buck" to Microsoft Corp.

The problem for me was caused by Wholly Genes Software Company failing to provide relevant information. When I had the information . . . no problem whatsoever.

Perhaps in future you should not market software until you are sure that you are able to honour your contract with purchasers who buy in good faith.

With every good wish,

Sincerely,

Marion Clark, Australia.

That should be just a copy/paste of the very long serial number that you received in an e-mail. V7 needs the V7 serial number, not the V6 serial number, of course. Without the unlock, it should still function as a 30 day trial version.

I don't think that there is any misleading from here. You are on the bleeding edge of V7 (first users). V6 is a great product. John Cardinal is also quickly working on getting his Second Site 2 working with V7, since it is a little different.

We're all just going through a learning curve of getting past Microsoft bugs. I was installing a router this weekend, and think I have found the solution to three misleading Microsoft related messages by checking past experiences on forums. Isn't technology fun?

Perhaps in future you should not market software until you are sure that you are able to honour your contract with purchasers who buy in good faith.

Just how would you expect them to do that, Marion? Obviously, this issue applies to only a small number of users, and was never identified in testing. There are an endless number of user setups in the world, with all sorts of different hardware, software, and customizations. There is no possible way to test every existant combination.

You seem to be saying that software should never be released until every obscure issue has been found and resolved. Since that can never be done, you are in effect saying that new software should never be released, and all existing software should be withdrawn. I understand that you are frustrated by the problem you experienced, but that seems like a rather rash solution to me. <_>

Seems to me the best available option is to test as best as can be done, then find and fix issues that escape testing. I think WG does a good job on that score.

With great respect, Terry . . . I am not complaining about bugs in software, but I am unhappy about *lack of* comprehensive information.

I think it is important that the truth of what I am saying does not get lost in your redifinition of it.

I hope that WG will use my experience and the experiences of others engaged in this topic at this time to upgrade its information to new purchasers of what is believed to be the very best genealogy software available.

With kind regards,

Marion Clark,

Australia.

Just how would you expect them to do that, Marion? Obviously, this issue applies to only a small number of users, and was never identified in testing. There are an endless number of user setups in the world, with all sorts of different hardware, software, and customizations. There is no possible way to test every existant combination.

You seem to be saying that software should never be released until every obscure issue has been found and resolved. Since that can never be done, you are in effect saying that new software should never be released, and all existing software should be withdrawn. I understand that you are frustrated by the problem you experienced, but that seems like a rather rash solution to me. <_<

Seems to me the best available option is to test as best as can be done, then find and fix issues that escape testing. I think WG does a good job on that score.

With great respect, Terry . . . I am not complaining about bugs in software, but I am unhappy about *lack of* comprehensive information.

I share your view that the information about how to deal with this issue needs to be shared with those encountering the problem.

I was reacting, perhaps out of proportion to your intent, with what I saw as the implication that WG had failed to make available information in its possession. This issue involves a rare set of conditions (I say that not because I understand what they are, but because it only seems to have been seen by a few users). Best I can tell WG was not aware of the solution to this issue until it appeared here yesterday, so there was no way to make it available until now. Or have I missed your point again?

First off my compliments to Mr & Mrs Elletee for coming up with an excellent fix and posting such precise instructions.

Secondly this is a WG software bug and needs to be recognized as such and fixed. I have installed scores of software programs and never before had to perform obscure and potentially dangerous registry edits. Also judging by this thread the problem appears more widespread than suggested.

Regardless TMG is still the absolute best genealogy software product available!! Thanks.

However "preachy" this post may appear, it is quite apparent that many users are quilty of failing to "Read the Manual"

Were they to do so, they would read that "TMG V7 IS NATIVE TO THE MISCROSOFT VISTA OS", using any other OS version may and has caused a miriad of install issues as posted here.

Knowledgeable TMG users anticipated a new version of TMG to coincide with the new MS OS Vista, these two programs compliment one another and based on experience I recommend the use of TMG V7 with MS Vista exclusively.

After all, using upgraded/updated software will make ones PC experience user friendly in the long run !

Were they to do so, they would read that "TMG V7 IS NATIVE TO THE MISCROSOFT VISTA OS", using any other OS version may and has caused a miriad of install issues as posted here.

Knowledgeable TMG users anticipated a new version of TMG to coincide with the new MS OS Vista, these two programs compliment one another and based on experience I recommend the use of TMG V7 with MS Vista exclusively.

That may be your recommendation, but it is based on claims that are simply not true. TMG 7 is designed and tested to run on Windows Vista, WindowsXP, and Windows2000. There is no need to move to Vista to run TMG 7.

I've been running it on WindowsXP for months with no problems.