efcharvet

TMG7 limits under Windows X64

TMG is not designed for Windows X64 and has not been tested at all with that OS. It may be that some of the report make use of 16 bit code that X64 cannot deal with.

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support

- - - - - -

This is a repost of earlier reply from Tech Support

Earl

[Please read my response below. Jim Byram]

If somebody had a 64 bit OS, I suppose that it could be run in the 32 bit partition, in the meantime. Right?

32-bit/64-bit multiple-boot operating systems, especially Vista, frequently give one big problems having to do with file ownership and permissions if there are shared data files. It's a real can of worms. Unless you're very familiar with the security systems and NTFS file system of Vista and XP I recommend that you do with one or the other. Vista x86 -- the 32-bit system -- should meet the needs of most.

I've had to settle on Vista x64 because it can utilize more memory than Vista x86. I need this for certain video and graphics rendering functions.

I was very disappointed to learn that some of TMG 7's reporting functions (specifically, writing reports to word processor or PDF files) don't work under x64. I'm hoping that Wholly Genes will quickly fix the program, for TMG 7 runs well under Vista x64 in every other respect. I wouldn't think the fix would be terribly onerous.

Meawhile, in case of need, I can use my ThinkPad to produce the word processor reports although it is extremely time-consuming to do so given the multiple file backups, restorations and transfers which are necessary.

formerprof

Edited by formerprof

I don't mean dual boot, necessarily. Vista64 itself should have a partition in which to run 32bit programs. I was thinking about it myself, since my new motherboard and computer (yet unbuilt) has a max of 8 Gb.

I don't mean dual boot, necessarily. Vista64 itself should have a partition in which to run 32bit programs. I was thinking about it myself, since my new motherboard and computer (yet unbuilt) has a max of 8 Gb.

One can have a separate partition, but programs still have to run under Vista 64 unless you've also installed Vista 32-bit. TMG7 will not write word-processor format reports under Vista 64, probably because the software that supports that function is 16-bit. To put it another way, Vista-32 will run 32 & most 16-bit programs, Vista-64 will run only 64 & most 32-bit programs.

I believe that there _is_ a 32-bit version of the Amyuni PDF printer driver which is what I think TMG uses to produce PDF files. Quicken uses it & it works OK under Vista 64.

formerprof

I may have to stay away, now, for the moment. The biggest problem with Win64 is lack of drivers. Many 32 bit drivers and installers out there also have some 16 bit portions (which won't run on Win64 at all). Bad drivers are a chief cause of many blue screen crashes these days. That comes back to where this thread started.

Edited by retsof

TMG is not designed for Windows X64 and has not been tested at all with that OS. It may be that some of the report make use of 16 bit code that X64 cannot deal with.

That's not exactly correct. TMG7 should run just fine under WinXP x64 or WinVista x64 with the exception of the word processing module which contains 16-bit code and is incompatible with the 64-bit operating systems. The word processing module will be updated down the line so that it contains no 16-bit code but I can't make any prediction about when that might happen. During the development of v7, I've run it under both WinXP x64 and WinVista x64.

To be clear, the 'word processing' output that currently doesn't work includes output to Word, WordPerfect, RTF and HTML.

You can output a list report to Excel.

I was very disappointed to learn that some of TMG 7's reporting functions (specifically, writing reports to word processor or PDF files) don't work under x64.

PDF output works fine for me under WinVista x64 as long as you permanently install the PDF printer driver.

File / Printer Setup... / [install PDF printer]

Edited by Jim Byram

That's not exactly correct. TMG7 should run just fine under WinXP x64 or WinVista x64 with the exception of the word processing module which contains 16-bit code and is incompatible with the 64-bit operating systems. The word processing module will be updated down the line so that it contains no 16-bit code but I can't make any prediction about when that might happen. During the development of v7, I've run it under both WinXP x64 and WinVista x64.

Thank you, Jim. That's good news for me. If there's anything useful I can do towards encouraging the revisions to the word-processing module, including some serious grovelling and self-abasement I stand ready to help.

Happy New Year!

all good wishes,

formerprof

Jim (or others):

I am about to purchase a new Windows computer and need 64-bit Vista for other (non-genealogy) illnesses ... er, hobbies. ;)

If I understand this thread, TMG7 now works fine with 64-bit Vista except it cannot output to word processors. Two questions, then:

1)... is there any indication from Wholly Genes of a timetable to get TMG7 fully compatible with 64-bit Vista? Do we even know they are working on it as a priority?

2)... For those of you using TMG7 with 64-bit Vista, does it run smoothly with good stability? Any special installation difficulties?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dave

1)... is there any indication from Wholly Genes of a timetable to get TMG7 fully compatible with 64-bit Vista? Do we even know they are working on it as a priority?

It's a known issue. I brought it up again in the last week and stressed that the norm for mid- and upper- range OEM machines is now to have WinVista x64 installed.

2)... For those of you using TMG7 with 64-bit Vista, does it run smoothly with good stability? Any special installation difficulties?

There is no difference between installing and running on the 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems (except as noted above).

I built a system running WinVista x64 last week and it runs much better than the 32-bit system that I'm moving from. This is now my working desktop system.

Jim provided some hope when he said that "PDF output works fine for me under WinVista x64 as long as you permanently install the PDF printer driver.

File / Printer Setup... / [install PDF printer] ".

Unhappily, if I try to output reports to PDF on my Vista X64 machine, TMG crashes so comprehensively that I have to restart the PC before TMG will run again. The PDF driver has been installed. To get editable output I have to wander down to a neighbour with a memory stick...

Brasso