KHemmelman

TMG7 Default folders

I uninstalled TMG6 and installed TMG7. Prior to uninstalling TMG6, I performed a backup. I then did a restore in TMG7. However, I use a folder strucutre as listed below. The restore wouldn't let me restore to the folders I wanted to use, and instead I had to restore to the initial default of "\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects". I figured that was no big deal. After restoring the files, I exited TMG7 and then moved all the project files to my preferred folder location listed below. I deleted the "\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\" folder structue since I won't be using them. (Note the word 'deleted' is in bold. This seems to be the key to the problem.) I then ran TMG7 and opened the project from the new location. I then went into the File - Preferences and set all the file folder locations to reflect my preferred locations below. However, when I exit TMG7 and then re-run it, it does not remember the last file opened and when I check the default project file folder location, it has reverted back to "\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects". I set the default project location again to the folder of my choice, but everytime I close and re-run TMG7, if the "\My Documents\The Master Genealogis v7\" folder structure doesn't exist, the next time I run the TMG7 program, it will recreate this folder structure even though I don't want to use it AND the default location reverts back to this folder instead of remembering the folder that actually contains my data.

I use the below folder structure for a few reasons. I have other genealogy programs and want all my genealogy files, etc. stored under a common folder location to make it easy for me to back them up. Also, I have a folder located under this common location that contains my genealogy photos, exhibits, etc.. I did this since I can have the files stored in a single folder and have 3 programs use those same files and only have to worry about storing them in one location.

\My Documents\

.........................\Genealogy\

.............................................\_Media\

.............................................\Legacy\

.............................................\RootsMagic\

.............................................\Second Site 2\

.............................................\The Master Genealogist v7\

................................................................................

.........\Backups\

................................................................................

.........\Projects\

I didn't list every single subfolder, but you get the idea. Basically I store things under "\My Documents\Genealogy\The Master Genealogist v7\". And I want the default project folder location to be "\My Documents\Genealogy\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects", but after setting this and exiting the program, if I delete the generic default folder of \My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\, the program will create that structure and revert back to it as the default folder location.

If I leave that default folder structure that TMG creates, then it will at least remember my settings. However, I don't want the "\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\" folder structure to exist since it won't be used and to avoid confusion on my part.

Am I stuck with leaving the default folders that TMG v7 creates even though they aren't used?

Keith Hemmelman

No.

Read the Help article on Data File Storage (easy to find in the Index tab), the "For Advanced Users" article, and follow the link in it to "Customizing Data File Storage" for information on how to manage this.

The design of the program is that it will recreate those folders if you delete them. From Help: Data File Storage:

"Note: TMG v7 checks for the three "The Master Genealogist v7" data file folders each time that it is run. If these new data file folders have been deleted, the next time that you run TMG v7, the folders will be re-created."

Virginia

Terry and Virginia, thank you for the reply and the pointer to the section in the Help file. However, after reading the information, I have to admit I'm rather disappointed in this change in the TMG program. These are simply recommendations from Microsoft on where UserData is stored, they should not be requirements. All of Microsoft's own programs allow me to change the default "UserData" path to any drive/folder of my choosing. After I change the path, there is no requirement by Microsoft that the previous default UserData folder exist like there is in TMG. I realize that the Help File states that it will create this UserData folder structure if it doesn't exist, but it doesn't explain why. It appears it is TMG that is requiring the old user data path to exist and not some obscure requirement by Microsoft. Since that old UserData folder structure is not used by me to store any data in, why does it need to exist?

The manual interaction of creating a Data_Paths.txt file to store files where I want to store them is far too confusing for most folks and there are enough warnings in the Help file to scare most folks off from further pursuing this. (There's no reason this step couldn't be automated under the File - Preferences of TMG.) Doing this procedure to gain control over my UserData path is also not something that is a Microsoft recommendation, this is a TMG solution to a problem created by TMG's requirement that the old (and unused) UserData path exist. I appreciate that I can (hopefully) follow these instructions so I can have control over the UserData folder I want to use, but this change from TMG6 to TMG7 with regards to the UserData path folder seems unecessary. I mean why even have the ability now in TMG 7 for me to set the various user folder paths under the File - Preferences if the underlying intention of this program is that I don't change them from the initial defaults?

I'm sorry to vent like this. Please don't take my comments personally because I'm grateful for the help offered here, but like I said, I'm rather disappointed in this change in TMG 7. I just don't understand why there is a requirement by TMG (not Microsoft) that the "\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\" folder structure exist when it will never be used. Hopefully I can follow the instructions on creating the Data_Paths.txt file and not destroy my data and then have control over the folders created underneathy the "\My Documents\" folder.

Keith Hemmelman

I don't believe I'll be upgrading to V7 namely because of the DEFAULY FILE PLACEMENT. I've been using TMG since X.96D. When V4 came out I placed the files in TMG4 folder. Same with V5 to folder TMG5 and V6 to TMG6. If I can't use a folder called TMG7, I won't be upgrading. I can do all the thing that I want with V6.12.

If I can someway use my folder naming of TMG7, someone please let me know how that can be done. Thank you.

I don't believe I'll be upgrading to V7 namely because of the DEFAULY FILE PLACEMENT. I've been using TMG since X.96D. When V4 came out I placed the files in TMG4 folder. Same with V5 to folder TMG5 and V6 to TMG6. If I can't use a folder called TMG7, I won't be upgrading. I can do all the thing that I want with V6.12.

I'm sorry to hear that - you are missing out on some great features in TMG 7.

You also should be aware that you won't want to replace you computer either - new computers come with Windows Vista, which will not allow you to place the files as you like in TMG 6 either.

If I can someway use my folder naming of TMG7, someone please let me know how that can be done. Thank you.

Yes, you can use your folder naming of TMG7 for your user data files; just change the user data file locations in Preferences. The restriction - imposed by Microsoft - is that files which are written to (data files) cannot be stored with program files - so just Install the TMG7 program in another location - like in the default Program Files. You won't be needing to access program files in any event.

I had the same reaction as you when I saw the default file placement. However, after reading the article in Help > Data File Storage I've come to appreciate the elegance and logic of the three categories of data files and their locations. IMO, someone at WG put a great deal of thought into locating editable files so we users have easy access to them while still allowing the program to meet MS specifications. I have my user data files located right where I want them - in C:\TMG_7, right next to C:\TMG_6.

I put together for my own use a simplified overview of the v7 data file storage method - using screenshots (vblakelock.com/tmg7.pdf). It was easier for me to follow the process graphically - and it's been helpful in finding files if I have a question. You might want to check that out along with the Help Files on Data File Storage.

Go ahead and download the v7 trial version; you can use it concurrently with v6. Version7 has some pretty neat new features. Set up a file system and see how it works for you.

Virginia

A lot of the issues being raised appear to be with windows itself as opposed to TMG. Install TMG to its default path, but keep your data files in another location. Check that the security privledges for this folder allow reading and writing of data (Right click on the folder and select properties - check under the security tab).

You can then point TMG to this folder using 'preferences' under the file menu. Change the paths under the 'Current Project Options' > 'Advanced' to reflect these changes.

For those people using Vista. If you create a folder on the local drive (C:) i.e. named DATA. Right click on the folder and select Properties. Under the security tab - you should be able to see who can access the folder.

If you want everyone to be able to change the contents of the folder. Click on the 'Edit' button. On the 'Permissions for Data' dialog - click 'Add', under 'Enter the object names to select' - type in the word Everyone and click on the check names button. Click OK and this will take you back to the permissions for Data window.

If you then select the 'Everyone' entry from the Group or user names: panel and place a tick in 'Full control' in the panel below labelled 'Permissions for Everyone'. Click ok to close the window. The permissions for this folder now allow you to store all your data files with no security restrictions being placed upon them.

Hope this helps.

Edited by wypman

Keith and Duane,

Yes you can use your folder naming scheme for your user data, but TMG will insist on also having its own folder naming scheme for its own program data. With multiple different lines I am researching for various clients I have an immensely more complex folder structure than yours, and my user data is just where I want it to be. But TMG will insist on also having its own folders for its program data.

The folder specified in Preferences > Program Options > General is just the default location where TMG first looks for opening projects. You can always tell it to look elsewhere. And every path you can set in Preferences > Current Project Options > Advanced can be set to a folder just about anywhere you want. And for me the best part is that these settings are Project dependent, so each project can point to a different set of folders with its own folder structure!! Since TMG lets me put my genealogy data where ever I want, having a few program files in folder locations that are fixed by the program seems a small annoyance relative to the enormous capabilities of this software package.

mjh and wypman, the problem isn't that I can't locate my UserData folder to the folder of my choosing. The problem is the "other" UserData folder that TMG "insists" on creating and keeping in existance. This other folder is the "\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\" folder structure.

As I said in my original post, if I change the File - Preferences locations within TMG to "my" folder and then delete the "TMG" folder, the program will change the file preferences locations for the project that I just set back to the original "TMG" created folder. It also recreates this folder structure if it doesn't exist, which of course it didn't exist because I deleted it since I won't be using it. Keep in mind, this is "user" data, not TMG program data. If TMG has a need to create and use files for the purpose of making the program operate, that is fine, but there's no reason it should insist on this extra user data folder existing and it can store any program data elsewhere, like under the AppData folder in your profile.

I fully understand about file permissions, user data locations, etc. I have Windows XP on my computer, but I have been working with Vista at work for the past several months and am the one responsible for developing our clone image to be deployed to thousands of computers. I'm intimately familiar with the change in folder structure from XP for both the profiles and user data locations within Vista. There are also other changes in Vista that are extremely frustrating to deal with, especially when deploying it within a corporate environement. However, the problem I reported is due to TMG, and TMG alone. It has nothing to do with file permissions, folder locations, the OS, or Microsoft restrictions. The TMG program insists on creating (and keeping) the original "\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\" folder structure even when it is not used. This is a function of the TMG program. This initially was very confusing to me what was going on. I prefer to logically structure my data folders and get rid of the excessive and unnecessary folders since I have so many of them already. So of course that is what I did after setting my preferences but it turned out that TMG was pulling a bit of a fast one on me since I did know what it was doing.

After reading the response from Virginia and Terry, there is actually a "work around" for this problem. (Thanks go to you two!) I have done this and resolved things. I had to manually create a "User_data.txt" file using the correct structure and contents and then place it in the TMG Program Files folder. If this file exists (and is created properly), the TMG program will automatically read its' contents and the end result is it will now finally use the folder I want to use and it will no longer automatically create the uneeded "\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\" folder structure.

So the end result is I have things working the way they should be. However, I feel it shouldn't be necessary to manually create a text file to "override" the program. This could easily be accomplished right under those same File - Preferences. And I don't feel the TMG program should need to re-create that default folder structure "after" I have specifically told it not to use it and to instead use the folder structure in the location that I want to use.

This is for Duane: Duane, Terry and others are correct. TMG v7 is an incredible program with immense capabilities. (More than I use.) I'm not sure if I understand your statement about storing your files and if you meant you store them under the "C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist" folder structure. If so, as a general rule this is not a good place to store any data for any program and never has been a good place. It's too hard to track where you data is and makes it difficult to backup your data. Also, there are changes in Vista that don't like to write files to the program files folders. You can probably get around this by changing the file permissions there, but honestly, the best place to store your files on a Windows based computer is under the "My Documents" folder, or "Documents" folder in Vista. (Well, for a home user it is. For corporate environments it's best to redirect data folders to a server.) The workaround I mention above does work. Even though I feel this behavior in TMG shouldn't be occuring and posted about it, don't take that as an endorsement by me that I dislike or am somehow having problems with TMG. I love this program and other than it being somewhat sluggish compared to other programs, I feel it's a very solid program with just about everything you could ever want in a genealogy program.

Keith Hemmelman

Edited by KHemmelman

Well Keith, I'm glad you managed to get it to work :wacko: I do not install TMG on C.....I have a separate partition for all my genealogy apps and I've never kept my data files (projects & exhibits) on the same partition as the application. My problem comes from the structure of the paths required in the data_paths.txt file. As the program path and the shared program & user program data files along with the User Data files are not going to be on C and on the H drive where they will reside doesn't have 'All Users' or 'User' designations, I can't figure out how to get the txt file to work using the paths to the folders! Here's where my folders are located:

SharedProgramData=H:\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7\SharedProgramData

UserProgramData=H:\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7\UserProgramData

UserData=H:\TMG7 DATA\The Master Genealogist v7\Current Personal v7

After creating the txt file with the above info, I tried to open TMG 7 and got the error that I hadn't specified users. I did keep the user in the square brackets at the beginning of the text file but am somewhat lost in trying to get this file to work.

I must say I'm also a bit baffled at the reason for TMG to recreate the unused data files. I don't, as a rule, put anything on C drive except Windows (I'm using XP Pro) as I also run Linux on another partition and wish to access the data files and sometimes apps from both OSs

Any tips on how I can get this silly txt file to work would be gratefully received :rolleyes:

B)

Joan

mjh and wypman, the problem isn't that I can't locate my UserData folder to the folder of my choosing. The problem is the "other" UserData folder that TMG "insists" on creating and keeping in existance. This other folder is the "\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\" folder structure.

<snip>

After reading the response from Virginia and Terry, there is actually a "work around" for this problem. (Thanks go to you two!) I have done this and resolved things. I had to manually create a "User_data.txt" file using the correct structure and contents and then place it in the TMG Program Files folder. If this file exists (and is created properly), the TMG program will automatically read its' contents and the end result is it will now finally use the folder I want to use and it will no longer automatically create the uneeded "\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\" folder structure.

<snip>

Keith Hemmelman

Here's where my folders are located:

SharedProgramData=H:\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7\SharedProgramData

After creating the txt file with the above info, I tried to open TMG 7 and got the error that I hadn't specified users. I did keep the user in the square brackets at the beginning of the text file but am somewhat lost in trying to get this file to work.

What do you have in the Data_path.txt file? If you have the name of the Windows user you are signed in as in square brackets on the first line, followed by the above three lines, it should work. It looks much like the one I'm using.

Duane,

The folder specified in Preferences > Program Options > General is just the default location where TMG first looks for opening projects. You can always tell it to look elsewhere. And every path you can set in Preferences > Current Project Options > Advanced can be set to a folder just about anywhere you want. And for me the best part is that these settings are Project dependent, so each project can point to a different set of folders with its own folder structure!! Since TMG lets me put my genealogy data where ever I want, having a few program files in folder locations that are fixed by the program seems a small annoyance relative to the enormous capabilities of this software package.

Do you mean that I have to restore my V6 data first before changing my current project files options?

BTW, I cannot find Data File Storage under the Help. I don't know which paramiter to change for my data files.

BTW, I cannot find Data File Storage under the Help. I don't know which paramiter to change for my data files.

Open Help, click on the Index tab in the pane on the left, type "d" in the search field, and it's a few items down the list.

Here's what I have:

[Claeghorn]

B)

Joan

What do you have in the Data_path.txt file? If you have the name of the Windows user you are signed in as in square brackets on the first line, followed by the above three lines, it should work. It looks much like the one I'm using.

Joan,

That looks good to me.

I see two possible issues, but can't be sure. The first is to be sure that the user "Claeghorn" is entered exactly the same way as the name of your user account in Windows. They have to match, and the error message you quoted says there is a problem recognizing the user name.

Less likely I think, is the spaces between the lines - do they exist in the file? I'm not sure if they matter.

Except for the square brackets, the user name is the exact one (not entered by me, rather the shop that assembled my machine so is spelled incorrectly so I was careful to copy & paste :rolleyes:

The spaces between the lines are there......I think that is how is shows in the help section that I copied & pasted then adjusted to my paths......of course I can't check as the program won't open :wacko: Howeever, in case that has an effect, I'll delete them and try again<sigh>.

B)

Joan

PS We're in the midst of a major wind storm right now so may lose power momentarily......

Joan,

That looks good to me.

I see two possible issues, but can't be sure. The first is to be sure that the user "Claeghorn" is entered exactly the same way as the name of your user account in Windows. They have to match, and the error message you quoted says there is a problem recognizing the user name.

Less likely I think, is the spaces between the lines - do they exist in the file? I'm not sure if they matter.

Well, I tried to send this message a while ago but I guess there was a problem with the connection......

For whatever reason, after mulitple restarts of the program plus several reboots of the system, I finally was able to open TMGv7. However, then when I tried to open the Sample Project I received the following error message:

The Master Genealogist

File does not exist. 56 APPOBJECT.SHOW

Abort/Retry/Ignore

Clicking on Retry - Nothing

Clicking on Ignore - Nothing except the number increases with each attempt.....stopped at 62 APPOBJECT.SHOW

Clicking on Abort - message disappears, all Menu Bar items greyed out except Window so click on that and this appears:

sample____.pjc - The Master Genealogist

Array dimensions are invalid

Click on OK

Can't close program so click on Window, Center window and this error message appears:

The Master Genealogist

ACTIVEFORM is not an object. 6 MENUOBJTMG.MCENTERWINDOW

Abort/Retry/Ignore

Retry - nothing

Ignore - nothing except an increase in the number of the error

Abort - message disappears and comes back with Window/Center window

Meanwhile, the only way to cancel the program is with the '3 finger salute'

Any ideas/suggestions? Would really love to get to the point where I could import my backup to check out the program or even to get the Sample Project open to enable me to explore the new goodies :rolleyes:

B)

Joan

Except for the square brackets, the user name is the exact one (not entered by me, rather the shop that assembled my machine so is spelled incorrectly so I was careful to copy & paste :rolleyes:

The spaces between the lines are there......I think that is how is shows in the help section that I copied & pasted then adjusted to my paths......of course I can't check as the program won't open :wacko: Howeever, in case that has an effect, I'll delete them and try again<sigh>.

B)

Joan

PS We're in the midst of a major wind storm right now so may lose power momentarily......

I'd like to add my two cents about how extremely serious I consider this problem to be. :angry: I have never considered having data or programs installed on the C drive. Only the operating system goes there so I can go through the agony of reinstalling Windows - something which appears to be necessary once a year or so to solve otherwise insolvable operating system problems. I run XP Pro and the nether regions will freeze over permanently before I move to Vista or any other MS operating system.

Terry, should I buy a new computer either it will have to have XP Pro installed OR I will wipe its hard drive clean and install it myself. Actually, the next computer I purchase will be an Apple which can run XP Pro, solely so I can use WordPerfect and TMG! This household does not use any other Microsoft programs, other than an operating system I loathe, period.

I am now really wavering with respect to purchasing v.7, despite its many improvements. I will run a trial of it, but if I find the placement of the program, its files and my data too onerous, I will reluctantly decide not to buy it. This saddens me more than I can say. I can't imagine why the decision was made to make these changes to the file structure.

Leslie

I'd like to add my two cents about how extremely serious I consider this problem to be. :angry: I have never considered having data or programs installed on the C drive.

I'm sorry, but what is the problem you see? I don't put data or programs on the C drive either, and TMG 7 works just fine for me.

TMG 7 itself installs wherever you put it. You do have to follow the directions in Help to relocate some of the data files.

I can't imagine why the decision was made to make these changes to the file structure.

I'd suppose it was so a typcial user can run the program on WindowVista without a lot of work-arounds. But you still have control to do what you want with little difficulty.

I am now really wavering with respect to purchasing v.7... but if I find the placement of the program, its files and my data too onerous, I will reluctantly decide not to buy it.

Leslie

Leslie, I just do not understand your concern. For almost all of the TMG files the software provides a simple and standard way to let you be in complete control of where they go. When you do the software install it prompts you to tell it where to install the program files. I changed its default during the install and do not have the program files in the default C: location, and it runs fine. You can easily configure TMG to have your data files somewhere other than its default, as multiple posts here have described. And Keith mentioned a more advanced way to use the "User_data.txt" file to allow you to put almost all the rest of TMG's internal files where ever you want them. As I see it, if the "placement of the program, its files and my data is too onerous" it is only because you chose to let them stay in the default locations. And I do not find these default locations unusual as most new programs designed for Vista chose exactly equivalent default locations. What is onerous? Having to change the default? But you would have to do that for almost any modern program. What am I missing?

Michael

I have TMG installed on a different harddrive too (under Windows XP), with the data relocated to yet another harddrive. Hey, I even use Linux, and it works. One must also keep in mind: for the vast majority of TMG users the default setup works fine. Then, for the few users like us who for whatever reason find it necessary to tailor the program's presence on our system, I find it unreasonable for us to complain. Especially when, with some effort, it is possible to configure it pretty much exactly the way you want.

I consider myself an advanced user now, and I spent a couple of hours getting TMG v7 to work exactly like I want it to with my multiple harddrive, multiple operating system setup. I am convinced that with some effort you'll get it to work too. And I am absolutely certain that more experienced users will step up and help you along. That's what the trial version is for; help us decide if the program lives up to our expectations before we buy.

Ken.

I'd like to add my two cents about how extremely serious I consider this problem to be. :angry: I have never considered having data or programs installed on the C drive.

Leslie:

I totally agree re MS os<g>. However, rather than go to Mac, I'm migrating to Linux. Also, we are fortunate in having several local computer businesses who will only install Vista at the customers' request, otherwise they still install either XP or XP Pro and promise to do so at least until June of this year.

Having said that, I still plan to go to TMGv7. As you can see, my original problems have been overcome in my trial version install and now the problem seems to be with the Sample Project. Having noted that a few other problems were overcome by uninstalling and reinstalling, I'm going to give that a try and see if that might do the trick...... I'm thinking my difficulties may stem from the fact that I DON'T have Vista, rather have XP Pro while the program is designed to function with Vista thus may have a few quirks to deal with in XP.

I'll be sure to report back on the results :rolleyes:

B)

Joan

I'd like to add my two cents about how extremely serious I consider this problem to be. :angry: I have never considered having data or programs installed on the C drive. Only the operating system goes there so I can go through the agony of reinstalling Windows - something which appears to be necessary once a year or so to solve otherwise insolvable operating system problems. I run XP Pro and the nether regions will freeze over permanently before I move to Vista or any other MS operating system.

Terry, should I buy a new computer either it will have to have XP Pro installed OR I will wipe its hard drive clean and install it myself. Actually, the next computer I purchase will be an Apple which can run XP Pro, solely so I can use WordPerfect and TMG! This household does not use any other Microsoft programs, other than an operating system I loathe, period.

I am now really wavering with respect to purchasing v.7, despite its many improvements. I will run a trial of it, but if I find the placement of the program, its files and my data too onerous, I will reluctantly decide not to buy it. This saddens me more than I can say. I can't imagine why the decision was made to make these changes to the file structure.

Leslie

... Having noted that a few other problems were overcome by uninstalling and reinstalling, I'm going to give that a try and see if that might do the trick...... I'm thinking my difficulties may stem from the fact that I DON'T have Vista, rather have XP Pro
Joan, just as one data point, I have XP/Pro and am having no difficulties. Good luck.

Michael

All I can say is that I envy you Michael :wacko:

So far, I've tried the repair function and reinstalled twice and still no joy. In fact, after the reinstall, now it doesn't even SEE the sample project so I don't have the choice of opening it. I'm going to try one more time to install it then give it up till tomorrow.

B)

Joan

Joan, just as one data point, I have XP/Pro and am having no difficulties. Good luck.

Michael