KHemmelman

TMG7 Default folders

Joan, did the Sample project get moved with your Project Folder? Have you tried searching for it on your computer and then navigating to it using Select on the Welcome window? Or, if you find the Sample project folder on your computer, open it directly using the sample__.pjc file and Browsing to the tmg7.exe file to open it.

Virginia

Yes, it's there but it's also in the application folder under Projects. I've tried deleting the one in the application folder but it doesn't make any difference. I tried 'Select a Project' and going directly to the sample__.pjc file and I still get the error messages. I haven't tried going to tmg7.exe to open it.......will try that next......

Thanks for the new suggestions Virginia!

B)

Joan

Joan, did the Sample project get moved with your Project Folder? Have you tried searching for it on your computer and then navigating to it using Select on the Welcome window? Or, if you find the Sample project folder on your computer, open it directly using the sample__.pjc file and Browsing to the tmg7.exe file to open it.

Virginia

Well, I've tried everything I can think of and nothing helps. Looks like v7 isn't going to happen for me<sigh>

B)

Joan

Yes, it's there but it's also in the application folder under Projects. I've tried deleting the one in the application folder but it doesn't make any difference. I tried 'Select a Project' and going directly to the sample__.pjc file and I still get the error messages. I haven't tried going to tmg7.exe to open it.......will try that next......

Thanks for the new suggestions Virginia!

B)

Joan

Joan, install a second copy of v7. No need to uninstall the existing v7. Don't customize the data folder locations in the second installation. Accept and, for now, use the default folder locations.

If your present install is for one user, do a second install for all users or vice versa. Open the Sample project and try out the new features until your existing problem, which I assume is related to the customizations, is solved.

Virginia

Virginia: I tried installing it on my laptop using <shudder> :rolleyes: C and My Docs. I got the same problem with the Sample Project being inaccessible with the same error messages whether I used 'All Users' or 'One User'. And that was using Win XP Pro. I haven't even started to try it with Linux :wacko:

B)

Joan

Joan, install a second copy of v7. No need to uninstall the existing v7. Don't customize the data folder locations in the second installation. Accept and, for now, use the default folder locations.

If your present install is for one user, do a second install for all users or vice versa. Open the Sample project and try out the new features until your existing problem, which I assume is related to the customizations, is solved.

Virginia

While I certainly understand the Vista requirements for this particular application, I do think that allowing users to select exactly where they want their data files stored (without the added step of having to create a text file) would have been nice from a useability point of view. This is not a complaint mind you, just an observation. Other than that, I really like version 7! :D

I am also having issues with running TMG v7. I'm using Windows XP.

The host machine is an iMac with Leopard running on the most recent Parallels for the Mac.

The old version 6 of TMG worked just fine, but this new v7 is definitely bad news...

The sample project button is grayed out and I can't create a new project either.

At first glance, the program seems to be querying the system for location info and is getting confused.

I wouldn't normally waste the time on trying to fix this, except that the Mac doesn't really have a really good alternate genealogy program.

Just wish that I'd known before upgrading. It's a fair amount of money to waste on something that doesn't work.

If anyone has had success with this situation, I'd really appreciate hearing about the fix.

Regards;

Gary

:wacko:

The host machine is an iMac with Leopard running on the most recent Parallels for the Mac.

:question: Are you using the default Windows paths, or are you storing your user data in OS X via the Parallels Shared Folders?

I'm running v7 on a MacBook Pro / Parallels / Win XP Pro using the default Windows folders and have not experienced the problems you describe.

To send reports to the OS X folders you have to map the destination report folder to a drive in the VM as the report writer will not recognize shared drive Z: folders

see the reply I posted here: http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...?showtopic=9708 :ph34r:

Thanks, Glenn.

I think I stumbled upon an answer in that I turned off all sharing between Windows and the Mac, then installed TMG with the "as shipped" defaults.

That seemed to solve almost all of the issues. I think it may effectively be the solution to which you refer.

When the VM transparently maps My Documents in XP to Documents in the Mac domain, which seems to confuse the dickens out of TMG.

The issue didn't seem to happen in my earlier configuration of Tiger/Parallels/XP Pro, but I didn't share data as extensively at the time.

I'll go back and try switching on sharing and map a few drives and see what happens.

Regards;

Gary

While I certainly understand the Vista requirements for this particular application, I do think that allowing users to select exactly where they want their data files stored (without the added step of having to create a text file) would have been nice from a useability point of view.

That is the case now for user project data. You can use the path settings on the Preferences / Advanced tab to store the data for a given project anywhere you wish as long as those locations are in valid user space.

Thanks, Glenn.

I think I stumbled upon an answer in that I turned off all sharing between Windows and the Mac, then installed TMG with the "as shipped" defaults.

That seemed to solve almost all of the issues. I think it may effectively be the solution to which you refer.

When the VM transparently maps My Documents in XP to Documents in the Mac domain, which seems to confuse the dickens out of TMG.

The issue didn't seem to happen in my earlier configuration of Tiger/Parallels/XP Pro, but I didn't share data as extensively at the time.

I'll go back and try switching on sharing and map a few drives and see what happens.

Regards;

Gary

I didn't do anything special with the VM when I installed v7.

this is how I have Shared Folders set up in the VM:

--Share Windows folders to Mac--

Enabled (checked) All Windows disks

Enabled Mount virtual disks to Mac desktop

Disabled (un-checked) Enable Spotlight processing

--Share Mac folders to Windows--

Disabled All Mac disks --- Enabled Home folder

Enabled User-defined folders

Enabled Map folders to drive letters

Other than User-defined folders & Map folders to drive letters I believe the others are the default Parallels settings

Having read all the discussion so far under TMG6 I held my data files in the shared directory C:\documents and settings\All Users\shared Documents\TMGDATA\ Dobree6 with the Exhibits as asub-directory to that. This directory was briefcased to a similar directory on my laptop. Both machines were running XP Home SP2. Both worked fine.

On upgrading to TMG7, I also had problems persuading the program to accept where I wanted to put the file. It does not accept a path to the shared directory on the grounds that it belongs to a different user (the install was on the basis that the program should be available to all users: the path wanted would put the files in a folder Dobree7). It then reported DobreeTMG_M.fpt was missing or invalid: when told to ignore that, it created a project file with only 15 (out of 464) sources. A renewed attempt with a fresh TMG6 backup provided a file with 30 sources.

On my (new) laptop with Vista and having accepted that I could not put the datafiles into a directory outside my own user area, I still found that it was losing my sources.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Ron Dobrée

Having read all the discussion so far under TMG6 I held my data files in the shared directory C:\documents and settings\All Users\shared Documents\TMGDATA\ Dobree6 with the Exhibits as asub-directory to that. This directory was briefcased to a similar directory on my laptop. Both machines were running XP Home SP2. Both worked fine.

On upgrading to TMG7, I also had problems persuading the program to accept where I wanted to put the file. It does not accept a path to the shared directory on the grounds that it belongs to a different user (the install was on the basis that the program should be available to all users: the path wanted would put the files in a folder Dobree7). It then reported DobreeTMG_M.fpt was missing or invalid: when told to ignore that, it created a project file with only 15 (out of 464) sources. A renewed attempt with a fresh TMG6 backup provided a file with 30 sources (the 15 twice). Having tried several more times, I looked at the .sqz file and DobreeTMG_m.fpt was present.

On my (new) laptop with Vista and having accepted that I could not put the datafiles into a directory outside my own user area, I still found that it was losing my sources.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Ron Dobrée

Here's what I have:

[Claeghorn]

SharedProgramData=H:\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7\SharedProgramData

UserProgramData=H:\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7\UserProgramData

UserData=H:\TMG7 DATA\The Master Genealogist v7\Current Personal v7

B)

Joan

What do you have in the Data_path.txt file? If you have the name of the Windows user you are signed in as in square brackets on the first line, followed by the above three lines, it should work. It looks much like the one I'm using.

Can anyone tell me where this Data_path.txt file is supposed to be? I did a complete search of the relevant HD and I can't find it anywhere. If I must create it from "whole cloth" please tell me what directory it is to be placed in and what the syntax is for the various path information it is to contain. Thanks very much.

Carl