Robert Stoy

Unable to Backup using Version 6

When trying to do a backup, I run into the error message: "Input file read failure - This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a ZIP file that is locked or restricted by another process"

This has happened for the past six months with the last two versions (currently running 6.12.000) and occurs no matter whether I try to do a project backup or a project+customization backup. I've followed the suggestions in several older message threads in 2007 with no success. I've tried not backing up the external image files, tried different folder paths (changing folder paths on my hard drive as well as the appropriate changes in the program preferences for file locations). I've run all the maintenance operations and have no problems reported; shut down and restarted the computer; then tried various backup strategies. No success.

The backup process usually (perhaps 4 times out of 5) when the filename "projectname_XD.DBF" is displayed although not every time. I've tried reinstalling my version 12 update with no change in the problem. All backups are done to my hard drive, not to any external device. Also, I've tried the .sqz extension as well as the .zip extension with the same results.

This isn't usually an issue since I maintain realtime backup of my hard drive to an external drive but with Version 7 I need to do a backup. Any way to get around this requirement or any way to address the problem?

Thanks for any help.

When trying to do a backup, I run into the error message: "Input file read failure - This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a ZIP file that is locked or restricted by another process"

This is clutching at straws, and I've no way of testing the idea, but the phrase "restricted by another process" makes me wonder whether some anti-virus or other security software is checking out the new backup file part-way through its creation and is preventing TMG from adding to it. I never like recommendations to disable such software temporarily, but that might be the only solution if you think it might be the case. Disconnect from the big bad Internet while doing so? Don't forget to re-enable afterwards!

Thanks for the suggestion. It made me think a bit more about programs I have running in the background. I had thought of a possible conflict with Norton Internet Security and had disabled it earlier with no help. However, I was able to find the culprit, which was X1 (the file search program), and after shutting it down was able to back up TMG. I'll do without X1 to save the grief.