Jack D. Lovelace

INS and Shift-INS Keys

The TMG program should distinquish between the use of the 'INS' key and the 'SHIFT-INS' keys. When the 'SHIFT-INS' key is depressed (<entered>), the program should not toggle the insert mode of data entry. The 'SHIFT-INS' key accomplishes the same funtion as 'CNTL-V'. The same is true of "CNTL-INS".

You are both right. Microsoft announced that Shift-Insert should be replaced by Ctrl-V for all applications following Windows 3.1, but then it never followed its own recommendations and still uses it and includes it in its standard help for both the OS and most MS applications.

That said, my testing of Version 7 shows that Ctrl-Insert and Shift-Insert seem to work to copy/paste text, but do toggle the INS indicator on the status line. However, even though the indicator has changed state I observe that the behavior of being either in Insert or Overwrite mode does NOT change. The indicator is now wrong, but the insert mode has not changed state.

At least the program behaves appropriately even if the indicators are now confusing.

Michael

You are both right. Microsoft announced that Shift-Insert should be replaced by Ctrl-V for all applications following Windows 3.1, but then it never followed its own recommendations and still uses it and includes it in its standard help for both the OS and most MS applications.

That said, my testing of Version 7 shows that Ctrl-Insert and Shift-Insert seem to work to copy/paste text, but do toggle the INS indicator on the status line. However, even though the indicator has changed state I observe that the behavior of being either in Insert or Overwrite mode does NOT change. The indicator is now wrong, but the insert mode has not changed state.

At least the program behaves appropriately even if the indicators are now confusing.

Michael

Michael

Ctrl-Insert and Shift-Insert have always worked to copy/paste text in all version of TMG and they have consistently toggled the INS indicator on and off and toggled the insert/overwrite mode.

When I do a Ctrl-Insert or a Shift-Insert, the status of the INS indicator and insert/overwrite mode should not be affected.