HollyAdams01

File access is denied (log files)

I've just upgraded from XP to Vista and, following some trouble with the upgrade (toddler wandered in and pushed the bright shiny reset button on the computer midway through), wound up doing a clean install. For some reason this caused the computer to rename my C:, D: and E: drives, so what was previously my C: drive is now D:. I then downloaded and re-installed TMG 7 and directed it to install in D:, otherwise using the default location. My Documents, with the TMG data files, is also on the D: drive.

Each time I try to open TMG, I get the same three errors: "File access is denied: d:...\documents\the master genealogist v7\logs\_programstartlog.log", "...defined paths.log" and then, following the splash screen, "registercontrol.log. 13 TMGAPPOBJ.MOCX". If I hit Retry for each, the errors repeat. If I hit Ignore, the software opens and I've restored my 6.12 backup, but each time it reverts to opening at the same person, rather than the most recently edited person. I can't add tags or edit existing tags because I get an error that "both principals must be from the same data set".

I upgraded only yesterday and have had nothing but headaches with file permissions and access rights. If it weren't for TMG 7 being designed for Vista rather than XP, I would have stuck with XP. I wanted some of the new features in TMG 7 and have been procrastinating about the Vista upgrade since last March, saying that it was all dependent upon TMG releasing v7. Now I have Vista and TMG 7 but I don't think a single thing I've installed has worked properly... :(

Hi Holly

I don't have any words of wisdon regarding v7 and Vista because I'm not running Vista. I just wanted to try to clarify one statement that you made in your message. The fact that TMG7 is "native" to Vista does not mean that you need to be running under Vista to use it. It will run fine under XP as well. I, and I suspect many other TMG users as well, are currently plugging along quite happily in XP. So, if the only reason that you are upgrading your OS is because you want to use v7, you really don't have to do it.

Mike Daugherty

Frederick, Maryland

Holly,

Mike's right, you don't have to upgrade to Vista. I am very happily using TMG 7.0 on XP with no issues except I seem to keep needing to eat and sleep and my off time runs out tomorrow and I don't want to waste genealogy time sleeping and eating.

Hope you get things fixed. I don't know how you rename drives, but could you just rename C to X and then D to C and then X back to D?

Thanks all. I did run it on XP for a few days, just long enough to get really excited about new features. I also have a colleague who bought a brand new computer with Vista pre-installed and his rapturous exclamations about how fancy and pretty it was, so I have to admit that that helped persuade me to do the upgrade.

I've done a complete uninstall and removed the TMG folders in Documents and Program Files and will possibly attempt another install tonight to see if that fixes the problem.

Things are looking up: if I can just get TMG and my firewall to install and run properly, I won't be forced to use the whole "reboot the computer with a brick" option... :D