Cantor90

Disappearing Projects

Don't know if this query belongs in the other thread about default folders, but as I'm not at all clear on what is going on, I'll start a new topic.

When I open TMG7, it is pointing to my project in the TMG7 Project file, which it apparently placed there when I imported it from a TMG6 backup. However, when I physically navigate to that folder, it's empty. I think this may have some connection to the fact that I couldn't get SecondSite 2.1 to work properly--couldn't set the database to the TMG7 projects folder, which again showed empty.

Any clue as to what I should do (uninstall TMG6?) would be appreciated. I'm using Windows XP.

Terry

Don't know if this query belongs in the other thread about default folders, but as I'm not at all clear on what is going on, I'll start a new topic.

When I open TMG7, it is pointing to my project in the TMG7 Project file, which it apparently placed there when I imported it from a TMG6 backup. However, when I physically navigate to that folder, it's empty. I think this may have some connection to the fact that I couldn't get SecondSite 2.1 to work properly--couldn't set the database to the TMG7 projects folder, which again showed empty.

Any clue as to what I should do (uninstall TMG6?) would be appreciated. I'm using Windows XP.

Terry

What folder did you navigate to? In WinXP, your projects by default are stored in

C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects.

Did you change that location in Preferences?

There is an empty Projects folder, by design, in C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7. That folder is not used or written to by the user but serves as a 'master folder' which the program copies to your user space during installation.

Virginia

What folder did you navigate to? In WinXP, your projects by default are stored in

There is an empty Projects folder, by design, in C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7. That folder is not used or written to by the user but serves as a 'master folder' which the program copies to your user space during installation.

Virginia

Oh, for Pete's sake, Virginia--this a clear case of my seeing what I expected to see, and not what was really there. I didn't change the defaults. But now that I know where to look, I see the project, and SS2.1 works fine.

Thanks very much.

Terry

Virginia

Having read the several posts on Project/customisation locations, I must say that WhollyGenes aren't doing themselves any favours by creating empty 'dummy' folders, they are just serving to confuse people.

Surely, when you open the program and in Preferences state that your projects will be in X:\TMG\Project or wherever, then that is where they should be, and TMG should then stop re-creating them in C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\

As we've seen, people are getting confused and possibly upset to see them re-appear if they delete them.

Also, as TMG 7 is now using the MS WinVista guideline for not allowing data in the Program Files directories, empty 'dummy' directories are not needed as they are superfluous. Any directories that need creating elsewhere don't need to be copied, they can be created programatically.

Lastly, to state that you can't write data to C:\Program Files\ data folders isn't true either. Ever since WinVista was introduced, this Forum has carried a thread telling TMG 6 users exactly how to do it.

True, it's not exactly following the MS guidelines, but it is possible.

By creating them, they are inviting use/abuse.

Neil

Edited by Neil Grantham