Jim Rassette

Master Tag Type List

Is it possible to get the Export / Import functionality added to the Master Tag Type List? I have a lot of custom tags and roles with custom sentence structures that I would like to move quickly between projects once I have them working properly.

That same functionality for Sources and Source Types is great.

Edited by RassetteJm

I must confess that I am not very familiar with the TMG Utility so I am not sure how that would work when trying to move one or more custom Master Tag Types from one project to another.

It is not just sentences (especially all sentences) that I want to move. I want to move one or several specific Master Tag Type structure(s) with all their associated roles and sentences without having to rebuild them from scratch in a new project. I have built some complex tags, especially for each Census, that I would like to move easily. I know there are some tricks you can do with merging data but I would prefer a more straight forward and easier approach.

The same concept used for exporting/importing Source Types, or Sources and their linked Repositories should work well for developing this enhancement.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes, the TMG Utility will work. TMG Utility has not (yet) been upgraded to work with Version 7, but John has been extremely generous with his work on this shareware/donorware and we hope/expect it to be updated when he gets time.

In the meantime, summarizing from the TMG Utility for Version 6 Help files:

Export Sentences writes all of the languages, roles, and sentences defined for all tags to a text file. The file may then be used with the TMG Utility Import Sentences function. When you Import Sentences you may select the language to import and check or uncheck the "Prompt before processing each tag" checkbox, as desired. If checked, the program will ask you to confirm the processing of each tag as it is imported, so you can import only those tags you desire.

John's utility is an essential tool to do "bulk" activities upon TMG projects. It is very easy to use but very powerful so a good backup is always appropriate before using it. It even lets you run in "log only" mode so that you can see what it "would" do if you let it. Extremely useful.

An alternative may be to create a new project/dataset from selections of your existing project/dataset and then merge in that special dataset with its custom tags to an existing dataset. For further information on what happens to custom tags during merging I would review Terry's Tips about Merging Projects and Data Sets

Hope this gives you ideas,

I added my comment as an "FYI" only; I was not proposing it as an alternative to the Import/Export proposal.

I am also well-aware that as of January 2008 TMG Utility does not support TMG v7. That is a temporary issue, and it is very likely that TMG Utility for TMG v7 will be available long before an Import/Export facility for Tag Types is added to TMG.

Thanks, John Cardinal, for your clarification. I am aware of the "work arounds". All I am asking for is the enhancement.

Are there any current plans to add the Export / Import functionality to the Master Tag Type List? Can someone from Wholly Genes answer the question?

Jim,

As simply a user like yourself I can't speak for Wholly Genes, but having been an active user of TMG for over 13 years I can speak from history. In the past the practice of Wholly Genes as a company and Bob Velke as a person has always been not to comment in any way about "plans" for any changes or enhancements for the future. It has been repeatedly obvious that these support forums are monitored by the staff of Wholly Genes, and each upgrade or new version of TMG has clearly included ideas that were mentioned by users. So mentioning here is the best way to encourage the developers to add the functionality. However, I doubt that you will ever get any official comment about "any current plans" concerning any new functionality. Unfortunately I can understand their legal need to remain silent and not imply any kind of promise of future functionality.

In other words, just friendly advice to "not hold your breath" :no: