God, I was hoping for a newer GUI on this sad old program. It looks like v6.

The app. "look" needs a revamp -- Web 2.0 style IMHO.

At least they changed that horrid default pink start-up icon. Now that was tired!

And who picked that wretched Mistral font on this website? Somebody call a graphic designer! At least get one on board for the next version...

Honestly, in my opinion, functionality is more important than a "pretty" interface. To me it is better to have a Fiat with a Ferrari engine than a Ferrari with a Fiat engine... In terms of functionality TMG outperforms most of the competition by leaps and bounds (though I admit a few are beginning to catch up).

So bottom line:

Beautiful? No.

Powerful? Yes.

Ken.

At least they changed that horrid default pink start-up icon. Now that was tired!

And who picked that wretched Mistral font on this website? Somebody call a graphic designer! At least get one on board for the next version...

Edited by elevator

Hm-m-m-m, snowdrift, I notice that you joined the Forum today and this is your first post, so I'm not at all sure what background you have with TMG.

You say that you would like a Web 2.0 style. Can you give an example or examples of what you would like to see?

At this point in time, would a new "look" (accompanied by a new "feel" and adjustment period) be beneficial to TMG users? I'm thankful that I've got the most robust genealogy program on the market and I'm not at all sure that changing its "look" right now would be of any benefit. I would imagine that at some time in the future (speaking in years) the "look" will probably change, but I would not put that on the table right now as something needing attention.

I'm not at all sure what you are saying about the "Mistral" font. My display is in the standard "font-family" of "Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Trebuchet MS, Sans-Serif, Georgia, Courier, Times New Roman, Serif;" and it looks just fine to me.

What do you have in mind? Fonts, colors, and layouts are infinitely customizable - and I've seen some pretty lively user creations in the favorite layout thread:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...4&hl=layout

Virginia

I've seen some "new" interfaces in new products, with lots of flash, music, fancy interfaces that are unintelligible, and crashed and blue screens of death to boot. Well, yes, I did have to boot the computer a lot after that.

Do you want to see some? Many are here in this bad design page, that laughably has been around for several years. They love beating up on commercial pages, most made by "consultants in whoop-de-do web design":

http://webpagesthatsuck.com/

Don't mess with what works admirably, please.

I'll pass.

You state that you would prefer the program to look like Web 2.0 style-but this is not a web interfaced program. Many of us are quite happy with this. If you look around at the major genealogy programs, none of them has a Web 2.0 style either.

What do you find so offensive about the GUI?

Hi

When I was looking for a database to hold my research, I chose to look at TMG because I liked the layout.

I don't want to spend the majority of my time searching to find what information I have on each person as you do with the majority of them. I can also change the layout, fonts and colours on a daily basis, so please, please, please don't change it.

Regards

Half Pint

http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/web-2....style-guide.cfm

This is a "web 2.0 style design" page, I guess.

It's a very loooooooong page with looooots of graphic elements, which right there is a turnoff for dial-up users. Somewhere along the line, KISS/Keep It Simple, Stupid got lost. KISS methodology does put more demands on the page navigation system, if there is one.

After that, I noticed that they mentioned a lot of things that they did NOT like, and an admonition to "buy the book". Well, maybe not, from what I've seen so far over there.

Edited by retsof

After looking at the web site link provided by retsof, I'm not sure what to make of the comments by snowdrift. It appears to me that Web 2.0 is for designing web pages and has nothing to do with redesigning the look and feel of an actual program. TMG is not web based, it is a program that runs on your computer. This is like saying horseshoes should be designed like automobile engines -- the two just don't go together.

After looking at the web site link provided by retsof, I'm not sure what to make of the comments by snowdrift. It appears to me that Web 2.0 is for designing web pages and has nothing to do with redesigning the look and feel of an actual program. TMG is not web based, it is a program that runs on your computer. This is like saying horseshoes should be designed like automobile engines -- the two just don't go together.

I'm not sure what to make of the comments by Snowdrift either - and wonder if we are getting our leg pulled here, including the reference to the Mistral font. It's unlikely that anyone would see this forum in Mistral - a hard-to-read script font coincidentally named for the cold winds off the snowdrifted Alps.

If this is a bona-fide TMG user, I hope he/she will return and explain the remarks.

Virginia

I'm not sure what to make of the comments by Snowdrift either - and wonder if we are getting our leg pulled here, including the reference to the Mistral font. It's unlikely that anyone would see this forum in Mistral - a hard-to-read script font coincidentally named for the cold winds off the snowdrifted Alps.

If this is a bona-fide TMG user, I hope he/she will return and explain the remarks.

Virginia

Virginia, I have wondered the exact same thing since my post yesterday. I could be wrong, but something just doesn't feel right about all this.

The "font-family" for this page/forum is set to: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Trebuchet MS, Sans-Serif, Georgia, Courier, Times New Roman, Serif. "Mistral" is a fancy (quasi-script/quasi-italic) Sans-Serif font. Unless I am mistaken (which I could be), snowdrift would have to be running a computer without Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, and Trebuchet MS, then have his own system defaulted to Mistral as the main Sans-Serif substitute in order for it to be displayed.

That much really makes me wonder, but the Web 2.0 design for TMG has me completely baffled as well. Like you, the question is, "Are we getting our leg pulled?"

The Mistral font is used in the "Wholly Genes Software" logo at the top of the forum (top left). It's to the right of that horrid little ink plume that is quite tired too.

I actually think FTM 2008 is better laid out than TMG 7. It's more my taste I guess designwise.

I am not arguing merits of data-tracking, but, rather, the "look" of the standard screen. TMG tracks data well; but, its interface is clunky and needlessly "busy."

... BTW, I've used TMG since 2002. ;-|

A simpler interface would attract more consumers. Maybe Velke et al are not interested in greater sales? Dunno...

The Mistral font is used in the "Wholly Genes Software" logo at the top of the forum (top left). It's to the right of that horrid little ink plume that is quite tired too.

I actually think FTM 2008 is better laid out than TMG 7. It's more my taste I guess designwise.

I am not arguing merits of data-tracking, but, rather, the "look" of the standard screen. TMG tracks data well; but, its interface is clunky and needlessly "busy."

A simpler interface would attract more consumers. Maybe Velke et al are not interested in greater sales? Dunno...

Brand recognition!

The Mistral (if that is the actual font) font is used in the logo graphic, not as a font used for display of the web site. Often, the logo is as important to a company as the company name is. To change the Wholly Genes logo at this point would be like changing the Coca-Cola logo with its red can to Turnip-Cola with a green can. It could be done, but might not be advisable when brand recognition is considered.

The merits of TMG data tracking are quite likely tied directly to the interface and layout. Any user can change the TMG layout in so many ways that is truly a users paradise. More button, less buttons; more information, less information; more toolbars, less toolbars; more layouts, less layouts; increase size, decrease size; display this, don't display that -- it's all there or not, depending on how the user wants to see it. The interface is "clunky and needlessly busy" -- how so? Change it to a minimalist display or whatever you like and "clunky and needlessly busy" go away. I don't know how much simpler that could be.

I have no comment on FTM 2008 or any FTM products.

Maybe, just maybe greater sales are tied to the tremendous flexibility of TMG and its accompanying interface.

Snowdrift,

Having a bad day? :rolleyes: If you don't like the current interface on the PROGRAM or the WEBSITE, why not make some creative suggestions for what you would like to see. I am of the camp I want to see data, and lots of it on the top screen so I can analyze what I have against what I am researching to see is this the same guy. The ancestor I am currently working on got two land grants in SC in 1772 and 1775. With timelines on, I saw that he was the right age for a war called the War of the Regulators (Regulation). Searching the internet, I found that this "war" was fought in the area in which I believe he lived, and men who fought later lived in the area I know he lived. I haven't found proof that he fought, but since he was a constable at the time, it looks like he might have been involved in some way. By using the associates window, I could see other men who associated with him and search for them at the same time.

If you find the current interface "busy" then pick the screens that work best for your research and create a layout using only those. I admit on my large monitor, it doesn't look busy, but I would hate to try it at 800 x 600. One thing I do know is if you make constructive criticisms, and are specific in what you'd like to see added, Bob does listen. That doesn't mean that every suggestion makes it into TMG, but if you have a suggestion for how to make the basic screen less busy and at the same time give users like me functionality, I am sure he'd be interested.

As far as FTM 2008, haven't seen it so I can't comment on it's layout, good or bad. I have heard some bad things about this newest FTM release, and have actually seen people suggest that users not upgrade from the previous version due to those problems. I can't verify those as true or not, each user would need to make his/her mind up as to the best software for them. Personally I am trying to get some research done. It have spent several weeks now, just adding in the new variable features of TMG 7.0 to my sentences. That's time I didn't have to research. Learning a new interface would take time as well away from real research. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

I'm glad you came back. Had us going with that Mistral comment .

You can't get any simpler than my layout - not even busy icons to distract: vblakelock.com/layout.jpg

Every other program I've seen, including FTM, is cluttered and unattractive with intrusive buttons and icons.

Virginia

[ snip ]

And a more graphical interface will repulse others. : shrug : I guess each to his own.

I'm glad you are not a troll too. I'll confess to retaining some amount of suspicion though -- that choice of icons was a little bit too, um, suspicious. B)

Valerie

I have posted a screenshot from TMG v6 that I feel illustrates what makes TMG so powerful. It allows you to start (if you so please) with a COMPLETELY clean canvas and build your own interface from that using the predefined screens and interface objects.

What can be better than that? Sure you don't have the "pretty" XP/Vista/Web 2.0 feel of TMG 2008, but that becomes so unimportant when you realize the powerful functionality that lies behind and the fact that you can tailor your genealogical experience EXACTLY to your needs. As a sidenote, in about.com's regular genealogical review, FTM 2008 scored 2.5 stars, the lowest score of all the other genealogy programs, with TMG and RootsMagic on top. That proves that when it comes down to it, end-users appreciate functionality over "prettyness". Incidentially, the only reason RootsMagic got a higher score was because it was considered more "user friendly". And I think no one has the illusion in here that TMG is an easy program to use; it requires a fair bit of trial and error and reading and forum visits to get this thing going, but I can promise you that once it get's going; it wont disappoint you.

Ken.

Well, that attachment didn't upload for whatever reason, but it basically shows TMG with all windows and all toolbars taken away basically giving just a clean canvas with just the titlebar, menubar and status bar.

I have posted a screenshot from TMG v6 that I feel illustrates what makes TMG so powerful. It allows you to start (if you so please) with a COMPLETELY clean canvas and build your own interface from that using the predefined screens and interface objects.
Edited by elevator

As Charlie Tuna would say..."Do you want a tuna with good taste or tuna that tastes good?"

Give me "tastes good", any day,

Mike Talbot

FTM 2008 also lacks many of the features of TMG that require the wide variety of views. The FTM interface is a a combination of workspaces and tabs and views and panels that are essentailly fixed in function and content (except family view edit panel) and to do any work you must flip back and forth and back and forth between these various workspaces and tabs and views. The FTM2008 interface lacks the customizability that TMG offers, it imposes the designers view of what data you need and how to view that data, and it offers none of the efficiency that TMG users get by combining the various views they want to see when doing their work.

As Virginia indicated, perhaps you should view some of the layouts TMG users have created that let them see the detail the need and allows them to do their data entry and fine tuning efficiently.

Have you contributed your TMG layout to show what you believe is a more effective TMG layout?

As someone who was once a FTM user, I much prefer the TMG layout, because I was able to add the separate windows for siblings and children, plus whatever else I want to view. The only info that I wish I could display, and if there is a way please tell me, is at least BMD for the spouse when looking at a person's page.