HollyAdams01

Conversion Error # 6

I'm running TMG 7 UK on Vista Home Premium with Office 2003 and when I try to print a descendant indented chart to Word 2003, I keep getting the error "Conversion Error # 6: One or more errors in configuration file" right at the end of the process when it would open Word to display the report. I get the same if I try to create an .rtf. I've run Repair on Word but I see from some other topics that a conversion error might be from TMG and not Office. I can create a text file, but it truncates the line length and I have to enter the missing information manually. There are files created in the destination folder, but they're blank when I open them separately.

I've seen some threads about conversion errors -- is "#6" a new one?

Try resetting the report configuration, using the Delete button under the configuration name in the report definition screen.

Also check the printer using the Properties button on the report definition screen and set it to a specific printer if it is set to the default

Virginia

It's a default report configuration, so the Delete button reset the defaults, and the report works on default settings, that is, a print preview rather than writing to a file. It was set to use the default printer so I've now set it to a specific printer. Unfortunately, though, I'm still getting Conversion Error # 6 just as it's about to launch the finished report.

I've tried re-starting the software in between attempts and checked to see that all the settings remained before running a new report. I've also tried saving it to various other locations in case this has something to do with Vista's permissions about saving in one folder or another, but to no effect. :(

Holly

I can send that report to Word 2003 without a problem in WinXP, so maybe it's something with Vista.

The problem is only with the Descendant Indented Report, no other?

Do you have Sources and Memo enabled and does it happen if one or both are turned off?

Could the path be too long?

Does the same thing happen with the same report in the Sample Project?

There are some reports of Conversion Error #6 in the TMG list archives. You might find a clue there although they are for earlier versions of TMG. The archives are at

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/search?path=TMG

Virginia

It worked with TMG 6 on XP, but I didn't run any reports using TMG 7 on XP before moving to TMG 7 on Vista. It's affecting all reports being exported to Word 2000 and above. I've tried it with sources and memos, one at a time and neither, but the same thing happens -- the error appears just as the report has finished running and when Word should open. There is a correctly-named .doc file saved in the destination folder, but it's blank (0 KB).

I'll have a look through the list archive and see if I can find something related -- thanks!

It worked with TMG 6 on XP, but I didn't run any reports using TMG 7 on XP before moving to TMG 7 on Vista. It's affecting all reports being exported to Word 2000 and above. I've tried it with sources and memos, one at a time and neither, but the same thing happens -- the error appears just as the report has finished running and when Word should open. There is a correctly-named .doc file saved in the destination folder, but it's blank (0 KB).

I'll have a look through the list archive and see if I can find something related -- thanks!

Are the report definitions (*.rpt files) appearing in your Configuration_files folder (the location specified in Preferences > Advanced)?

Virginia

Unfortunately the fix showing in the archiver had to do with file depth where the wordproc folder was located when people had installed TMG 6 to anything other than the default directory. I've installed to the default (just on D: rather than C: as that's where all my program files are located), so file depth isn't anything unusual -- it's still Program Files > The Master Genealogist v7 > wordproc. I tried running some sample reports and saving them straight onto the C: drive or the D: drive, or just into a new top-level folder called Test, as one of the other workarounds was shorter file path length, but without any joy -- Conversion Error # 6 at the same point each time.

Are the report definitions (*.rpt files) appearing in your Configuration_files folder (the location specified in Preferences > Advanced)?

Sorry -- was typing my previous message at the same time you were replying -- yes, the *.rpt files are in the Configuration_files folder and are showing today (just a minute ago as I just had another go at creating a report) as the Date modified.

Does the same thing happen with the same report in the Sample Project?

Just tried the Sample Project and ran the Descendant Indented Chart, Descendant Indented Narrative, Ahnentafel - Direct Line and Family Group Sheet and all had Conversion Error # 6. So at least it's not my project -- that's one variable eliminated!

Aha - sorted! :D

I had just re-installed the National Burial Index v2 and had an error on start-up, so looked at the FFHS site for guidance and found an explanation which not only fixed the NBI2 Viewer, but, when applied to TMG7, made Conversion Error #6 go away!

For anyone else having Conversion Error #6, this is what worked for me: "locate the menu option for the TMG, (or you can use the Desktop icon). Right-click on this with your mouse and from the pop-up menu select 'Properties'. From the Properties dialogue, go to the 'Compatibility' tab (left). In the 'Privilege Level' section towards the bottom, click the checkbox labelled "Run this program as an administrator". Then click the OK button. This will now always run the TMG in Administrator mode. As the program starts you will see a pop-up box entitled "User Account Control" - just click "allow" for the program to load successfully. Note that if the checkbox in the Properties dialogue (left) was greyed with a tick in it, you already have administrator privileges throughout the whole system."*

(replaced NBI with TMG throughout)

Very happy now!!!