cghjr

No Parent links in Descendancy Reports

In TMG Descendant reports, as in others, a child carried forward has very little information when listed with its parents. Usually just its name, birth and death and an ASSIGNED NUMBER indicating where it may be found later in the report. At the assigned number the child is listed and REPORT OPTIONS let you determine how much of its information you wish to be shown. UFT, FTM, and PAF all have an option to SHOW or HIDE spouse links to spouse information INCLUDING the names of the SPOUSE'S PARENTS. TMG has an option to show spouse events and another to show all events, but does NOT INCLUDE THE SPOUSE'S PARENTS. It does on the family report but not in the Descendant Journal. I have worked too long and too hard for the past 30 years finding the names of the parents of the spouse to have them left out of the report. Please TMG team. Come up with a solution.

cghjr,

I just looked at my journal report and the parents were there in both the child list and in the subseqent listing as a parent.

Childlist:

+ 8 vii. Harriet Ann McNab was born circa 1830 in Ontario. She married James A. Miller, son of John Miller

and Jennet Chisholm, say 1847 in Canada West. Harriet died on 28 Dec 1905 in Winnipeg,

Manitoba. She was buried in Hillcrest Presbyterian Cemetery, Norval, Halton Co., Ontario.

As Parent:

8. Harriet Ann2 McNab (Alexander1) was born circa 1830 in Ontario.90 She married James A. Miller, son of John Miller and Jennet Chisholm, say 1847 in Canada West. Harriet died on 28 Dec 1905 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was buried in Hillcrest Presbyterian Cemetery, Norval, Halton Co., Ontario.

There is no checkbox to "Include Parents of spouse in marriages". To be included in the reports, the marriage sentence must include the parents code <[PARO]> as in "[P] married [PO] <[PARO]> <[D]> <[L]> <[M]> <. [M2]>". Check you marriage Tag Type sentences for the roles assigned to the principals, whatever roles they are assigned.

The parents are also shown in the Descendant Individual Narrative and in the Individual Narrative, as well as the Ahnentafel, the ancestral narrative report.

If the above doesn't reflect what you are trying to accomplish through your query, can you be more specific?

Edited by bienia

In TMG Descendant reports, as in others, a child carried forward has very little information when listed with its parents. Usually just its name, birth and death and an ASSIGNED NUMBER indicating where it may be found later in the report. At the assigned number the child is listed and REPORT OPTIONS let you determine how much of its information you wish to be shown. UFT, FTM, and PAF all have an option to SHOW or HIDE spouse links to spouse information INCLUDING the names of the SPOUSE'S PARENTS.

TMG also shows the spouses parents, but uses a different method. In TMG, it's done with the sentence of the marriage tag. The default sentence for the Marriage tag in TMG is:

[P] married [PO]

It's the [PARO] variable that produces the statement about the parents.

I'd guess that you imported into TMG from UFT, which does not include a variable for the parents, as I understand it (because they are added by the report). When you import from UFT, the sentences from that program are also imported, overwriting TMG's default sentences. Thus, the parents are not showing for you.

The solution is to modify the sentences of the marriage Tag Type by adding the term, which produces output like", son of John Doe and Mary White" (note that the comma and "son of" are part of that variable's output).

If you are using the Bride and Groom roles, you need to make this change to the default sentences of those roles as well. If you have marriage tags with local sentences they will need to be modified individually.

cghjr,

I just looked at my journal report and the parents were there in both the child list and in the subseqent listing as a parent.

Childlist:

+ 8 vii. Harriet Ann McNab was born circa 1830 in Ontario. She married James A. Miller, son of John Miller

and Jennet Chisholm, say 1847 in Canada West. Harriet died on 28 Dec 1905 in Winnipeg,

Manitoba. She was buried in Hillcrest Presbyterian Cemetery, Norval, Halton Co., Ontario.

As Parent:

8. Harriet Ann2 McNab (Alexander1) was born circa 1830 in Ontario.90 She married James A. Miller, son of John Miller and Jennet Chisholm, say 1847 in Canada West. Harriet died on 28 Dec 1905 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was buried in Hillcrest Presbyterian Cemetery, Norval, Halton Co., Ontario.

There is no checkbox to "Include Parents of spouse in marriages". To be included in the reports, the marriage sentence must include the parents code <[PARO]> as in "[P] married [PO] <[PARO]> <[D]> <[L]> <[M]> <. [M2]>". Check you marriage Tag Type sentences for the roles assigned to the principals, whatever roles they are assigned.

The parents are also shown in the Descendant Individual Narrative and in the Individual Narrative, as well as the Ahnentafel, the ancestral narrative report.

If the above doesn't reflect what you are trying to accomplish through your query, can you be more specific?

Bill, Thank you very much I'll set mine up like that. --CH