hollyflewin

Copying Reference field to Citation Detail

I completed a transcription of a 700 page genealogy recently into TMG.

Now that I'm done, I was thinking that maybe I should have done one thing differently.

I made one master source for the transcription. When I entered it in the cite I placed the page number in the Reference field at the bottom. "Page xxx" Now, as an afterthought I think maybe I should have placed it in the CD or CM. Is there a way to copy the contents of reference field in the cite to the CD or CM globablly?

Is TMG Utility capable of doing this.

If this isn't possible, is it possible for the reference field to show in all reports as part of the cite?

thanks

hf

... maybe I should have done one thing differently... When I entered it in the cite I placed the page number in the Reference field at the bottom. "Page xxx" Now, as an afterthought I think maybe I should have placed it in the CD or CM. Is there a way to copy the contents of reference field in the cite to the CD or CM globablly?
Sorry, not that I know of.
Is TMG Utility capable of doing this.
Not in the version that works with TMG Version 6. Only Citation Detail and Citation Memo are fields that can be used with the Find and Replace function. John Cardinal usually monitors these forums and may consider this as an enhancement for a future version of the Utility, but only he could comment on that.
If this isn't possible, is it possible for the reference field to show in all reports as part of the cite?
Yes, it is possible, but you will have to do some work to make that happen. You can include in your Source Templates the optional Source Element [CREF] which will print the contents of the Citation Reference. This is not included in any of the default templates, but you could add it (probably most appropriately as an optional element by to the Source Template that you used for citing this particular source.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Thanks for the info. John Cardnial has also emailed me on the mailing list with similar instructions.

I would some day like to get them moved. I would open the database and change it there, but I don't know how TMG would react. (no, Bob, I won't.)

thanks for the help

hf