johnliddle

Exhibit Log View/Edit problems

I floated this on the TMG list but had no takers, so I thought I would try here.

Is anyone else finding the View/Edit feature on the exhibit log troublesome?

I love the ability to highlight an area of an exhibit with a coloured box, but some severe shortcomings in the feature prevent it being used in many cases.

If your exhibit is large, precise placement of a box is difficult without zooming in to see the detail. However, enlarging the exhibit to the extent that scroll buttons appear completely buggers up the operation of placing a box.

You can draw the box as many times as you like, but when you release the mouse button, the box jumps to another (incorrect) place on the exhibit image.

I can only assume that this is due to a program error whereby the box placement is calculated in relation to the image as initially displayed as opposed to taking account of the position in the enlarged view.

Whatever the cause, it is a serious shortfall in an otherwise extremely useful feature.

Additional problems include odd behaviour of the scroll bars. On very tall images (such as two pages pieced together one below the other) clicking in the clear space in a scroll bar moves the button and the image, but dragging the button from, say, top to bottom, does not stick.

Clicking and holding a scroll bar arrow gives a nice smooth scroll of the image. However, when the mouse button is released, the scroll effect continues if the cursor is hovered over the arrow. In addition, after scrolling using the arrow, clicking in the empty space above or below the scroll button has no effect on the first click, but if you click again, the button will move to the end of its travel – it seems that unless you click and then move the cursor smartly out of the scroll bar area, the cursor hovering in the scroll bar acts as repeated clicks of the mouse.

All in all rather a sorry tale – but is it just me? I would be grateful if others could try this and confirm (or refute) the problems I am seeing.

Regards,

I can confirm that I am experiencing many of the same problems. If the pictures are large enough (zoomed in) so that scrolling is necessary all kinds of problems arise (seems to mostly be with redrawing and repositioning the image on the window canvas). I haven't really found it too annoying yet because once I attach exhibits to persons I have an external program for viewing and highligting if necessary. But the few times I have; I have experienced the same problems John talks about.

Ken.

All in all rather a sorry tale – but is it just me? I would be grateful if others could try this and confirm (or refute) the problems I am seeing.

I can confirm that I am experiencing many of the same problems.......

Ken.

Thanks for confirming this Ken, it is good to know it is not something I am doing wrong.

Presumably WG will pick up on this in order to remedy it in some future release?

Regards,