Carroll Pitman

Change Path to Exhibits

I would like to relocate my Exhibits to new folder. Is there anyway I can globally change the path from the old path to the new path in every Exhibit?

Yes, I did this on TMG 6, the necessary pop-up is still there on 7.0 VFI.

1 Move your exhibits to new folder

2 File>Maintenance>VFI, pop-up specify folders to search (specify your new exhibit folder)

3 done, all exhibits will be acessed from your new folder

4 As soon as convenient, File>Preferences>...set new default exhibit default folder, for consistancy

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

What you may find though, as I did, that the 'specify folders pop up' defaults to the same location each time, so for every folder you wish to add, you have to go through the file tree and add each folder individually, so, as in my case, if you have 40+ different folders it will become an unbearably painful and slow task. In my case I gave up and am currently using a very jumbled and large exhibit folder.

My only complaint with TMG v7 :(

I agree 100%. I have been pushing for storage of relative paths instead of absolute for years now. I am using a system like you with one folder for every individual with exhibits and also one folder for every source with exhibits. I also have a separate folder for all images associated with places (such as maps, photos of houses, etc). It works good for me now because it is well organized and I have not yet had to change locations for all these exhibits.

I had a similar problem when I moved from v5 to v6. Fortunately I had Visual FoxPro on my office computer at the time and was able to use that program's search and replace function to change all the absolute paths in the datafiles. It worked like a charm, but I didn't have as many exhibits then as I do now.

Why the reluctant to rely on relative path storage in the datafiles is a question I feel remains unanswered. However, AS LONG AS you do not change drive letter and store the files in the same folder structure you're good to go.

Ken.

What you may find though, as I did, that the 'specify folders pop up' defaults to the same location each time, so for every folder you wish to add, you have to go through the file tree and add each folder individually, so, as in my case, if you have 40+ different folders it will become an unbearably painful and slow task. In my case I gave up and am currently using a very jumbled and large exhibit folder.

My only complaint with TMG v7 :(

Yes, I did this on TMG 6, the necessary pop-up is still there on 7.0 VFI.

1 Move your exhibits to new folder

2 File>Maintenance>VFI, pop-up specify folders to search (specify your new exhibit folder)

3 done, all exhibits will be acessed from your new folder

4 As soon as convenient, File>Preferences>...set new default exhibit default folder, for consistancy

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

Thank you very much for the guidance. I have successful completed my move and paths in EHIBITS were revised.