Patt

Exhibit Thumbnails

I was very disappointed when I found that I could no longer view exhibit thumbnails on my laptop as the exhibits are not there.

I use my laptop when I'm on trips visiting relatives. There is no way my exhibits will fit on the laptop, but the thumbnails allowed me to see what photos I already had so I wouldn't duplicate scanning photos. It also helped me when on research trips.

Jim Byram says the thumbnails are there but I just can't view them. Is there some way that a preference could be added so that I can view the thumbnail?

Patt Ricketts

I gave you a couple of alternatives.

1) Dummy zero-byte text files. They must be located with exactly the same names and paths as the exhibits that you want to view.

2) A CD or DVD with your exhibits. Use VFI to locate the exhibits on the optical disk. If your notebook can't read a DVD, be selective and create one or more CDs.

I gave you a couple of alternatives.

1) Dummy zero-byte text files. They must be located with exactly the same names and paths as the exhibits that you want to view.

I did try this maybe I did it wrong. I went into notepad and saved an empty text file. TMG didn't seem to recognize it. I exited and reentered TMG, and still couldn't view the thumbnail.

2) A CD or DVD with your exhibits. Use VFI to locate the exhibits on the optical disk. If your notebook can't read a DVD, be selective and create one or more CDs.

This would take too many DVDs. Just the birth, death & marriage exhibits are 7.67gb. This does not count pensions, wills, deeds, photo, bible records, newpaper clippings, etc. etc. etc.

Edited by Patt

Patt wrote:

I did try this maybe I did it wrong. I went into notepad and saved an empty text file. TMG didn't seem to recognize it. I exited and reentered TMG, and still couldn't view the

I tested this before I made the suggestion and it worked perfectly.

You can make the zero-byte text file by right-clicking and selecting New / Text document.

You rename the file to match the image name.

The file must be located exactly where TMG expects it to be.

When you open the Exhibit Log, the program looks and finds a file with the path and filename expected and displays the thumbnail.

I tested this before I made the suggestion and it worked perfectly.

You can make the zero-byte text file by right-clicking and selecting New / Text document.

You rename the file to match the image name.

The file must be located exactly where TMG expects it to be.

When you open the Exhibit Log, the program looks and finds a file with the path and filename expected and displays the thumbnail.

Jim,

Do I keep the extension as ".txt" or do I use the same extension as on the image file

Patt

Jim,

Do I keep the extension as ".txt" or do I use the same extension as on the image file

Patt

The filename should be exactly the same name as the image file. How else would the program recognize it as the image file?

You have an image file fribbish.jpg that you want to mimic. You create the text file New Text Document.txt in the correct folder and rename it to fribbish.jpg.

The filename should be exactly the same name as the image file. How else would the program recognize it as the image file?

You have an image file fribbish.jpg that you want to mimic. You create the text file New Text Document.txt in the correct folder and rename it to fribbish.jpg.

Jim,

The frowning face is gone but I still can't see an image. It looks like have of an envelope, but not the thumbnail.

Patt

You haven't done anything to remove the thumbnails, have you? Such as turning the thumbnails off in Preferences and optimizing?

I'm looking at my laptop and didn't change anything from v6. I haven't done anything that I know to turn off the thumbnails and I haven't optomized on the laptop.

Under current project, advanced save image thumbnails is checked, use thumbnail for image window is checked. Is there any place else I should look?

Patt