alpalmer

Tags don't print

Here I am with another problem. I think I had this one once before but forgot how to solve it. Why is it that certain tags do not print? I cannot get a "Military Service" or "Obiturary" tag to print. I think that it has something to do with their tag type. I do not fully understand that relationship or why some things are excluded from the report. Any way to get them to print?

There are two common reasons why tags don't print in reports:

1. The specific Tag Type is not turned on in the Tags tab of report Options. It could be because you have specified Primary tags only, and the tag is not primary, or it could be because you have specified that Selected tags are to be used, and the tag type is not selected.

2. Another reason is the setting of the Surety Options on the General tab of report options. Any setting other than "No Threshold" with "Include blank surety checked can exclude tags that don't meet the specified surety threshold.

There are two common reasons why tags don't print in reports:

1. The specific Tag Type is not turned on in the Tags tab of report Options. It could be because you have specified Primary tags only, and the tag is not primary, or it could be because you have specified that Selected tags are to be used, and the tag type is not selected.

2. Another reason is the setting of the Surety Options on the General tab of report options. Any setting other than "No Threshold" with "Include blank surety checked can exclude tags that don't meet the specified surety threshold.

Thanks for the response, Terry. I Checked and neither of those are the problem. On the Tag tab I have checked "all" in the Tab Type area, and "all events and Witnessed in the Event section. I have also checked "No Threshold" on the general screen. It seems to have something to do with certain tags. They have the (w) witness indicator in the "name, place" part of the tag screen. They also seem to be from certain groups, e.g., "history." For these tags, I have entered text in the memo section and that is what I want to print out.

I have also checked "No Threshold" on the general screen.

Note, while this may not relate to your specific problem, to include all tags you should have both 'No Threshold' and 'Include blank surety' checked.

Virginia

I've just discovered that you have to unselect 'restrict to BMDB group events' under the TAG tab in report options for all tags to show in a report. Even if you have 'All' tag types and 'all events and witnessed events' selected under the MISC tab. At least it worked for me in an FGS.

Kaye

My bad for not indicating the report. I have had the problem with both Journal and Individual Narrative. I have tried all of th e above to no avail. It seems to have something to do with certain tag groups. I guess I do not understand the relationships between groups and the tags themselves. Nor am I clear on the role of "witness" in those tags. The problem seems to occur with those tags that are in the group "history" and have the (w) in the Name/Place column. So, I have selected Journal report; General Screen, Register (NEHGR) Checked, Siblings show. . . unchecked, No threshold & Include blank. . . checked: Tag Screeen, Tag Types, "all" checked, "all events. . . " checked. I have also tried to print with "custom" checked on the "General" screen and all of the entries under Tag/Include only, unchecked. I have tried to print both to screen and to a WordPerfect document - doesn't make any difference.

Since posting this, I have found a solution. I can open it in the "Tag Type List" click Edit and Roles and Sentences. Then, I can add the new role of "principal," create a sentence structure and it will print. After establishing the new role of Principal, I could not delete witness. I am still confused about why some tags seem to default to the "witness" role. Perhaps I am approaching the whole thing in some wrong way. I would think that entering an oath of allegiance would pertain to the person taking the oath and not a witness. Anyhow, I have solved it, but would still like to understand better what is going on.

Edited by alpalmer

I think I know you got the result you did, but there is a more fundamental issue here.

To work as you expect them to, you have to get custom tags in the right group. From the Customizing Tags article on my website:

- Tags in the Name group contain the primary name, and any other names, like nicknames, name changes due to events like marriage, and spelling variations.

- Tags in the Relationship Group define parent/child links. They are what mark one person as the parent or child of another.

- Tags in the Marriage Group create marriages or other like unions.

- Tags in the Birth Group and Death Group are special cases because they control the key dates that appear in many reports. In addition, Birth Group Tags serve as a basis for the age calculations that appear in various places.

- Most other Tags fall in the Other Event Group, which is the extremely varied group that records everything from schooling, to census, to occupation, and many more events.

Unless you purposefully need your custom tag to have the properties of one of the other groups, they need to be in the Other Event group.

The History group, which it seems you used, is an even more special case. It is intended to link a large number of people who were somehow involved in some historical event. Because of the large number of people, none of whom were actually more involved than others, there are no Principals in History tags. Everyone is a Witness. This is not a good group for ordinary events which apply to one or two people.

Once a tag type is defined in a group the group cannot be changed. The only way to fix this is to create a new tag type in the Other Event Group (with a slightly different name), then add a new tag to replace each existing tag. Copy the data from the existing tag to the new one. Once all the data is copied, delete the existing tag type in the History group.

Doing this should fix all the issues you mentioned.

Thank you very much. That is very helpful. The tags I was having a problem with were assigned to their particular groups by the program as default. I didn't do anything to put them there. But now I know how to fix it. Thanks again.